PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
it290

Re: PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

Post by it290 »

Maybe I'm not getting something from that the context of the rest of that Instagram post, but what it seems to be saying to me is that his test rig is capable of accuracy down to 1/4 frame, because 60fps x 4 = 240fps. 1/4 of a frame on a device like this (that uses a framebuffer) would, to the best of my knowledge, not be possible without some sort of runahead.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

it290 wrote:Maybe I'm not getting something from that the context of the rest of that Instagram post, but what it seems to be saying to me is that his test rig is capable of accuracy down to 1/4 frame, because 60fps x 4 = 240fps. 1/4 of a frame on a device like this (that uses a framebuffer) would, to the best of my knowledge, not be possible without some sort of runahead.
Ah, on second read I suppose you're right. I am not super well-versed in how frames are counted, so I misunderstood what he was saying in the post.

He is teasing that he'll post the results in an upcoming video. The first two he posted for the system aren't a bad watch, and I'm definitely curious to see the outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb6Y45 ... 2-x9LHI8mQ
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

So, another update email on my TG Mini just arrived, and while the last one said it wouldn't be coming until next January, the revised date of delivery is...early next week, apparently. :?: Not sure what's going on here, exactly, but we'll see either way, I suppose.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

With luck, it does look like that is the shipping date, as they have updated that way on the product page itself.
Pushky

Post by Pushky »

Got my pc engine mini from Japan to Portugal I’m 3 days using dhl. Superb work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

NA Amazon now have the TG16 Mini release date as May 22nd.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Too late for me, I was in the market for one of these a few months back, but I recently ended up investing in a basic MiSTer FPGA setup. The PC Engine core on it just got a substantial update improving accuracy significantly and adding PCE-CD support, so that niche is now filled for me.

That aside, I think this is probably the best non Nintendo mini in terms of sheer quality.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWoYmnyD7wI

Lag Test video from Shmup Junkie is up. Pretty interesting stuff.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Jonpachi wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWoYmnyD7wI

Lag Test video from Shmup Junkie is up. Pretty interesting stuff.
Who?

I'm pretty sure the MLiG review was done remotely, both of them at home respectively during the peak of the coronavirus situation. It wasn't super detailed like their usual stuff and it's really unsurprising a lot of people didn't grow up with the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx. So while it's understandable their video might have inaccuracies it's kind of silly to make a response video just to call them out over it.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

He doesn't name any names in the video, and it's a nice in-depth look at lag across several games on the mini (and on original hardware). I found it worth a watch on its own.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

That's pretty dang funny and informative, even if it's a little salty.
ShmupJunkie

Post by ShmupJunkie »

The review in question would be mine ;o I've been on here as Movietimepro for a while now. Pachi messaged me that he posted a link to it here. So I just came to check it out and see if anyone had more technical questions about what I did that are beyond the scope of posting comments on Youtube.

Just for clarification, this was part 3 of a bigger set of reviews I am doing on the pc engine mini. I definitely am not singling any one source out in this last video. It was because I have come across at least a few places, video and print, now parroting the same info that I focused on those claims specifically while showing lag results for quite a few games. I actually very much enjoy MLiG's more technical works and am a fan of their videos.

Clearly I was pretty excited about this mini since I'm a big fan of the console and I have dozens of folks I chat with online that I've gotten excited about it. I would not be embellishing if I said that since
the first reviews started coming out, I have had no less than a COUPLE DOZEN of said friends message me near the exact same thing. "I just checked out review xyz and they are saying how bad the lag is and that lords of thunder is unplayable." Clearly I was disappointed being I had high hopes for the console. I was looking forward to a lot of new blood trying out some of the awesome shooters on there.

It wasn't until I finally got my mini a while back and really put some time into it that I realized I didn't agree with the assertions being made. The lag felt pretty much in line with every single other mini I have played especially the Genesis Mini. And as I started playing through games to put my own review together, I was having little trouble blowing through them, R-Type, Graidus 1&2, Gunhed, Salamander, Soldier Blade, Super SS, etc. And Lords of Thunder which was never that difficult of a game to begin with compared to some of the aforementioned others. So in my first review I called it out and said anyone calling these unplayable just needs to practice and stop blaming their lack of skills on the console. Did it have lag? Of course and I said as much. Some people will be elitist about it and turn their nose up at a mini and that's their perogative. I'm of the camp that I can adjust and enjoy myself playing it anyway.

So once I started actually getting some real numbers on the games I saw that Lords didn't have enough variance from any of the other games to claim it's lag makes the game unplayable. Well... you certainly can... it's your opinion, but like I stated in my video... that assertion says more about you than it does about the actual game or console. As the raw numbers state otherwise.
I really believe that if some of the reviewers had given it more of a fair shake or game time, instead of a quick play and determining it unplayable, they would have adjusted. So in my mind some
these claims of unplayable are unnecessarily harsh.

I admit my vid may be a bit harsh as well... partly to make a dry topic more fun, but also because I really am disappointed that assertions weren't tested. If I am reviewing a console and most games seem fine to me, but a specific one or two do not, the first thing I do is test. If I am going to make a claim as bold as something is unplayable, I better be able to substantiate that claim somehow. So I felt that if I didn't come out there and do it definitively... nobody else would either. My biggest hope is that folks that may have been on the fence about picking up this mini due to the preponderance of said lag and unplayable claims, may see my video and reconsider. Just like a lot of my friends did. Again I got so many messages later stating "I'm so glad I didn't listen to those reviews. I am having a blast with these
games and Lords of Thunder is awesome." Remember what it was like the very first time you played Lords? I do :)
Creating Shmup Content for the Masses
https://www.youtube.com/shmupjunkie
To Far Away Times

That was an excellent deep dive, and I had a blast watching it.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Anybody getting the 8bitdo pad in today? Fucking Amazon delayed my preorder, naturally..
To Far Away Times

I've not tried the 8bitdo pad yet for the PC Engine but that company makes great stuff.

I have the SNES and Genesis ones and they're even better than the original controllers they're copying.

All the buttons feel great, nice weight to the controllers, rechargable batteries with good battery life, lots of pairing options (X-input, Direct input, Nintendo Switch, Andriod/iphone)

I'll buy one for every console they make.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I can post a positive impression of the 8bitdo pad. It's more compact, closer to a NES pad. That will be subjective but for my hands it's a better fit.

More importantly, plays great. Easily better than the pack-in pads with their stiff membranes. This feels pretty authentic but requires a much lighter touch on both Dpad and buttons. The Dpad is also ACCURATE despite some of 8bitdo's earlier foibles. Build is solid and easily first-party grade, and no perceptible lag as with most 2.4g solutions.

I think this is easily a better choice than the stock controller. Easy to recommend to anyone interested, and a better option than damn Hori's "PCE scheme or fuck off" offering for a second controller.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Dang, only the PC Engine versions are left on Amazon atmo. Wanted a Core Grafx one, but I went ahead and got the white one in case they end up being out of stock for a long while. I don't mind the stock pad, but I'm looking forward to a better/more comfortable d-pad.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

It looks like all three versions sold out. I wouldn't compromise on the colorway if I were you, there's really no reason to think a restock isn't incoming. It's just the beginning of this product's run.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

bigbadboaz wrote:It looks like all three versions sold out. I wouldn't compromise on the colorway if I were you, there's really no reason to think a restock isn't incoming. It's just the beginning of this product's run.
Totally fair, but I’m impatient. :)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Finally got my TG Mini, some quick impressions after tooling around with it a bit; keep in mind that I never had the system back in the day, so I'm going into this whole thing mostly blind.

- It really is chintzy of them not to include an AC adapter; thankfully my phone's charger seems to work OK, hopefully I'm not unknowingly frying the innards or something. :P

- Moreover, while the controller's cord is nice and long, the AC adapter is quite short; definitely don't plan on putting the system very far away from an outlet. An HDMI cable is included, and more "required" than I was expecting; I initially just tried to use the HDMI I already had hooked up to my PS4, but the head on it is different and didn't fit inside the dust cover on the back.

- I'm not an expert on input lag, but off the cuff I would say I feel some manner of delay; I'm unsure, however, whether it's inherent to the programming or has something to do with the controller's construction, as I can't compare the "feel" of the thing to an original pad.

As I try stuff out on the thing I'll post several-decades-late impressions of them as I see fit; I can already set aside a bunch of titles I don't intend to bother with, namely the Japanese titles that also have English versions included, Momotaro, Necromancer and Snatcher (can't read 'em), MotoRoader, Victory Run, Gateball and Power Golf (not a sports/racing fan), and Military Madness (same for strategy). The rest I'll at least try out; how many I'll actually play more than once remains a mystery!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Got my wireless 8bitdo controller, and DAMN I LOVE THING! It feels great and is so light and just fun to use that I ended up staying up too late playing the mini.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I finally broke down and ordered a TurboGrafx-16 Mini to see how it fares compared to the real TG-16 console hardware. Yeah, I bought a brand new TG-16 console for a mere $29.99 + tax from my local Toys-R-Us back in December of 1993. Sure with Konami handling the sales and distribution of the TG-16 Mini along with Hori handling the manufacturing of the actual hardware (of all three variants of the PCE Mini, TG-16 Mini & the Core Grafx Mini) and with M2 doing the actual PCE emulation, I can see the joint collaborative effort between all three companies to bring this PCE Mini & it's variants to the masses.

Sure, one can use a 5v AC adapter rated @ 2.4A with the TG-16 Mini but it'll get a bit warm on it's underside (a minor quibble at best though imo).

It's awesome to be able to boot up a lot of the classic TG-16 Turbo Chip titles on the TG-16 Mini console including Blazing Lazers (aka Gunhed on the PCE) or even the mighty expensive PCE Arcade CD-Rom2 STG title of Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire. It sure boots up Sapphire much quicker.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

It's only fitting that you would have one of these, PCE Fan X.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Yeah, I bought a brand new TG-16 console for a mere $29.99 + tax from my local Toys-R-Us back in December of 1993.
Most amazing thing right here. How much were the HuCards each?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

OmegaFlareX wrote:Most amazing thing right here.
Second-most amazing, if I recall what he got Magical Chase for.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Well back in late 1993 & into early 1994, Toys-R-Us was selling brand new TG-16 games from $14.99 up to $24.99 for all software titles (including the TTI version of Magical Chase & Legend of Hero Tonma for a mere $19.99 each back in February of 1994). Quite the bargain finds/steals back in those days, indeed. I didn't get Magical Chase until May of 1995 but paid a mere $11.99 for it in used condition -- it came complete with original factory box, instruction manual & the obligatory plastic tray insert to hold the Magical Chase Hu-Card in place. Eventually years later, I sold the TTI Magical Chase complete set to fund buying a Cave arcade PCB kit. When the Turbo Everdrive was announced, I scooped one up just to be able to play the TTI version of MC properly on the TG-16 console.

I like how M2 even replicated the LCD screen of the classic PC Engine GT handheld, so yes, one can play the ACD STG title of Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire with that particular screen orientation setup if so desired. Of course on a real PCE GT or NEC Turbo Express handheld, one would have the A/V portion piped out from a PCE Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX and with an appropriate A/V adapter, fed into the A/V input of said GT or TE handheld.

One can use an AC adapter rated @ 5v with 1.5 amps with the PCE Mini, TG-16 Mini or the Core Grafx Mini without any issues.

Edit: Just out of curiousity, what hardware specs did Hori use to create the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16/Core Grafx Minis?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

The CoreGrafx Mini finally got a release date on amazon.co.uk, comes out on June 5th.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

My order from Amazon.co.uk finally arrived! My early opinions after 1 hour with it:

- I was expecting input delay similiar to MD Mini (which was noticeable without being awful) ... but it surprised me by feeling more responsive by maybe a couple of frames. To me it feels almost as snappy as the excellent SNES Mini.
- Overall, feels slick as hell.
- Solid build quality of the hardware.
- Biggest downer; diagonals are quite hard to hit, but I hear this was a quirk of the original hardware anyhow. It does make playing shmups that bit tougher at times.
- Only other criticism is the fake scanlines. M2 can't get them right, even after all these years - I remember Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box on Ps2 12 whole years ago also had the same issues.

Overall, though, I really, really like it, irrespective of the diagonals. Looking forward to playing a lot more over the coming week. Going to need some of that butt paste recommended by movietimepro, methinks.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I remember Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box on Ps2 12 whole years ago also had the same issues.
Really? I remember all the Sega Ages on the PS2 to be really spot-on. Maybe a bit dark overall, but at least without the heavy filtering and the misalignment between scanlines and actual pixel rows.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Looks like I'm going to have to wait and hope the TG-16 mini has another wave of stock :(
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed