shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:38 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Gradius (GB) manual hilarity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 4430
Location: Finland
I bought a copy of the first Game Boy Gradius (or Nemesis, as my cart reads) and even got a manual to go with it. It was so much fun to read it'd be a crime to not share the best parts of it, especially the story.

------

GET IN YOUR BAD STARFIGHTER AND WAIL!

Your worst nightmare's come true. The evil King Nemesis is back, and he has a taste for blood. YOUR blood! As chief of the Interplanetary Police, you thought you put this high dean of destruction away for good. But he's out on bad behavior and wants your hide.

Locked safely in his hideous hideaway, he's dispatched a band of ruthless rapscallions to do his bidding for him. But before you go crying home to mommy, you still have one more change to teach this terrible tyrant that crime doesn't pay.

That chance: the Proteus 911, the most technologically sophisticated flying machine of death ever invented. Strap on your seat belt and power-up with speed burners, lasers, missiles, force fields and duel devices of destruction. That start blasting these galactic gunmen and their cosmic crime lord.

And if by chance you have more lives than a cat, there's a very good chance your picture will end up on a box of alien cereal, and you'll be crowned the new mayor of Moronica.

(Image of the game screen: "Proteus 911", "Power-Up Indicator", "Alien" (the standard Gradius boss) and "Your Soaring to Victory Scoreboard")

KEY TO POWER-UP CAPSULES

Laser (L) - Laser lets you blast your way right through things. (That'll show the King!)

Option (O) - This equips you with an extra Destruction Device that has power equal to the Proteus 911. (Only two Destruction Devices per ship, please!)

FIVE SLAM-BANG STAGES TO START FROM

Carnage Canyon

Pyramids of Pyromania

Lair of the Planetary Pirates

Den of Doom and Gloom

Sacrificial Sarcophagus of Saturn

-----

I especially liked "Mayor of Moronica" and "Soaring to Victory Scoreboard". :lol:
_________________
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:21 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Bay Area, CA
Good. fucking. lord. Konami's US office was out of control back then. -_-;

And yeah, Mayor of Moronica rules. New catch-phrase!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:29 pm 



Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 88
Horrifying. That has to be the worst abuse of alliteration I've ever seen. Wow.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 1955
Why yes, I am a bad enough dude to rescue the president. Why do you ask?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3226
DarkWolf7 wrote:
Horrifying. That has to be the worst abuse of alliteration I've ever seen. Wow.


I guess you never watched Darkwing Duck... ;)
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3226
sethsez wrote:
Why yes, I am a bad enough dude to rescue the president. Why do you ask?


Hey, you get to go out for cheeseburgers at the end. ;)
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gradius (GB) manual hilarity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 4187
Location: MD
Ghegs wrote:
I bought a copy of the first Game Boy Gradius (or Nemesis, as my cart reads) and even got a manual to go with it. It was so much fun to read it'd be a crime to not share the best parts of it, especially the story.

------

GET IN YOUR BAD STARFIGHTER AND WAIL!

Your worst nightmare's come true. The evil King Nemesis is back, and he has a taste for blood. YOUR blood! As chief of the Interplanetary Police, you thought you put this high dean of destruction away for good. But he's out on bad behavior and wants your hide.

Locked safely in his hideous hideaway, he's dispatched a band of ruthless rapscallions to do his bidding for him. But before you go crying home to mommy, you still have one more change to teach this terrible tyrant that crime doesn't pay.

That chance: the Proteus 911, the most technologically sophisticated flying machine of death ever invented. Strap on your seat belt and power-up with speed burners, lasers, missiles, force fields and duel devices of destruction. That start blasting these galactic gunmen and their cosmic crime lord.

And if by chance you have more lives than a cat, there's a very good chance your picture will end up on a box of alien cereal, and you'll be crowned the new mayor of Moronica.

(Image of the game screen: "Proteus 911", "Power-Up Indicator", "Alien" (the standard Gradius boss) and "Your Soaring to Victory Scoreboard")

KEY TO POWER-UP CAPSULES

Laser (L) - Laser lets you blast your way right through things. (That'll show the King!)

Option (O) - This equips you with an extra Destruction Device that has power equal to the Proteus 911. (Only two Destruction Devices per ship, please!)

FIVE SLAM-BANG STAGES TO START FROM

Carnage Canyon

Pyramids of Pyromania

Lair of the Planetary Pirates

Den of Doom and Gloom

Sacrificial Sarcophagus of Saturn

-----

I especially liked "Mayor of Moronica" and "Soaring to Victory Scoreboard". :lol:


Konami also pulled the same type of thing with some of their other games like Metal Gear NES. I'm glad these "changes" are limited to the manual, but they are still silly.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 275
Location: Canada
Simply amazing.
_________________
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2162
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
"Moronica"

Awesome.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:40 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1091
Location: Harman's Room
Proteus 911 sounds like some kind of futuristic porno....involving ambulances.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 1236
Location: Wisconsin...burr...
Zoradius had better translations...

"Push Start Button" That's it.
_________________
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:13 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Posts: 5313
Location: OHIO
In the US today you wouldn't get away with calling "a flying machine of death" the "911." (9/11 has a new association.)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:13 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 631
Location: Middlebury, VT
professor ganson wrote:
In the US today you wouldn't get away with calling "a flying machine of death" the "911." (9/11 has a new association.)


I dunno, I think it might fly. Sure we've got bad associations with Nine Eleven, but Nine One One is still fine, especially for the chief of the Interplanetary Police. You're a cop, 911 makes perfect sense.
_________________
Some men dream of fortunes,
others dream of cookies.
Lucky Numbers 4, 15, 16, 24, 36, 46


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:46 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5010
Location: Ari-Freaking-Zona!
Yeah, and like a good cop, you go all alone to hunt evil King Nemesis. Brilliant. :roll:

@Kiken: Care to explain about Darkwing Duck?
_________________
Golden Axe Body Spray.
Smell like a warrior, warrior.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:00 am 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 2963
Location: Kansas
Anyone ever read the manual for Belmont's Revenge on Gameboy? Hooboy...that one's a winner...
_________________
Image
You too can make Undead Line your bitch!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gradius (GB) manual hilarity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:57 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2670
Location: Germany
:D Classic!

Ghegs wrote:
GET IN YOUR BAD STARFIGHTER AND WAIL!


How can one resist using this as a sig?
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
About multiplayer. It is fun to have, when you have friends, otherwise they are boring.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gradius (GB) manual hilarity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:02 am 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 71
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
BrianC wrote:
Konami also pulled the same type of thing with some of their other games like Metal Gear NES.

Or Snake's Revenge where a charater was renamed Higharolla Kockamamie and another one was related to Ginger on Gilligan's Island.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:06 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 280
Location: Texas
Wow! I have to give them credit for using the word "rapscallions" though, you never hear that enough nowadays.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:21 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 211
Location: Sydney, Australia
Kiken wrote:
sethsez wrote:
Why yes, I am a bad enough dude to rescue the president. Why do you ask?


Hey, you get to go out for cheeseburgers at the end. ;)


HA HA HA HA!
_________________
The Captain.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3226
Specineff wrote:
@Kiken: Care to explain about Darkwing Duck?


Darkwing Duck is the master of alliteration (granted, if you're watching translations of the original American series then I'm not so sure how well his dialogue is translated). Watch the series... in every episode he produces entire litanies of alliterary "genious". ;)
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Posts: 4235
Location: Berlin, Germany
Damocles wrote:
Anyone ever read the manual for Belmont's Revenge on Gameboy? Hooboy...that one's a winner...


Yeah! The GB Castlevanias had great manuals too. Basically telling you not to bother with collecting the money bags, since points mean nothing anyway.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 9974
Location: Wherever.
Kiken wrote:
Watch the series... in every episode he produces entire litanies of alliterary "genious". ;)

"I am the prize in your cereal box!"
_________________
"And I'll be honest: if you're poor, stop being poor. That's a good idea."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:21 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5010
Location: Ari-Freaking-Zona!
Oh yeah. We got those too in the spanish version.

"I am the little flint in your rice pudding!" (Not sure if that one was added or originally written in the series. It refers to rice that hasn't properly been cleaned of dirt and therefore you end up on biting on a piece of rock when you chew. Painful.)

"I'm the stain that cannot be un-stained!"

"I am the piece of gum that gets stuck in your hair... I am... DarkWing Duck!" :D :lol: :D
_________________
Golden Axe Body Spray.
Smell like a warrior, warrior.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:08 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1680
Location: Utah *ugh*
Necro-post!!!

I couldn't help but notice... I thought alliteration was when you string words together that all start with the same letter? I only remember this because my roommate made himself what he called an "alliteration sandwich." It was pastrami, pepperoni, pepper jack, provalone, and pickles.
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:07 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2113
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.
alpha5099 wrote:
professor ganson wrote:
In the US today you wouldn't get away with calling "a flying machine of death" the "911." (9/11 has a new association.)


I dunno, I think it might fly. Sure we've got bad associations with Nine Eleven, but Nine One One is still fine, especially for the chief of the Interplanetary Police. You're a cop, 911 makes perfect sense.


Actually, given the context and their use of "Strap on your seat belt", I would suggest their use of "Proteus 911" was a reference to the Porsche 911.
_________________
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:22 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Posts: 978
Location: Glossop, UK
That's pretty cool. My Nemesis is a cart only so I've never had the pleasure of reading that :lol:


I always liked the story in the manual for NES Lifeforce-

THE BIRTH OF ZELOS COULD MEAN THE DEATH OF ZILLIONS

In a remote quadrant of the universe there was hatched a hideous creature. His proud parents, Ma & Pa Deltois, named their only son Zelos, which in alien lingo means "one mean son of a gun".

As Zelos grew into an adult space monster, his appetite turned ravenous, his temper became ruthless, and his name proved an understatement. It didn't take long for Zelos to leave the nest and go out on his own, devouring everything in sight, including three galaxies, four hundred planets, two trillion lifeforms and a side order of stars.

Then your innocent galaxy appeared on Zelos's menu, and he chowed on an entree of roast Gradius, with the planet Latis for dessert. Now, the only chance these civilisations have of escaping from his digestive tract lies with you and your star fighting partner.

But your odds look pretty grim, for Zelos is full of floating armarda terror zones, which are cities which are cities that have become part of Zelos after being eaten. Each of these zones is loaded with tremendous fire power and unbelievable destructive surprises. You'll also find that Zelos's heart and soul are positioned safely behind his traitor fleet.

That means you'll have to devastate six Terror Zones and blast away their grotesque mayors before reaching Zelos's main artery and putting an end to his eating binge.
:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Posts: 3621
Location: Almere, Netherlands
Quote:
Locked safely in his hideous hideaway

What?
That got me laughing so hard my eyes started to water.
His hideaway is hideous.
"That does it!,........ He's gonna pay".
_________________
Pixel_Outlaw wrote:
Good, hopefully it will return us to the dark ages of gaming where multiple people could play on one television and you actually had to have real friends.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 4157
Location: Donburi Island
Let me add to the list the first Probotector for GB (Operation C). That manual is unforgettable. Sadly I got the Italian booklet, someone else will have to post it here.
_________________
Image
X - P - B


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 1797
Location: Tampa, FL
Funny! I think these game manuals were written in a time when game plots weren't to be taken seriously.
_________________
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Squire Grooktook and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group