shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:43 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Lunch Time ~ my First Shump!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:50 pm 

I've played a good amount of SHUMPs and realized there's a whole side of shumps that i've been ignorant to all these years beyond the R-type, Star Solder and Gradius!! Like the Atlus/Cave games are AMAZING! Dimahoo (Raizing/Capcom I believe..) is just sooo damn addicting! even when it whoops my ass on level 4! So I'm now deeply interested in SHUMPS and am willing to learn more about them . Hopefully I can improve on my SHUMP attempts. So here's my first game, Lunch Time.

It's a horizontal shooter that uses a flap mechanic where the player has to tap the flap button to stay afloat (think Joust). You use your newly caught Golden Aura Catfish to eat enemies and convert them into weapon shots varying from 1-5 levels of power. Every 3rd enemy you eat grant you the ability to shoot.The more you eat,the heavier the fish becomes,making it harder to fly. BUT! you have the potential for more powerful shots to unleash on your opponents the more you eat.

When your hit twice you lose the fish from your clutches and have to rush to get it back before it falls to the ground.

It's a pretty short and sweet game (3 levels).

A playable build is under way!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Lunch Time ~ my First Shump!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:07 am 

Sounds like you're making it very difficult to control or even shoot. Any reason for that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:41 pm 

Udderdude wrote:
Sounds like you're making it very difficult to control or even shoot. Any reason for that?

Thats was my first problem, mashing both shoot and fly buttons is difficult, down right annoying. So I changed it to when you gain a level(s) you press fire and you'll shoot for a set interval automatically, depending on your weapon level. This frees you up to concentrate on staying afloat and aiming your shots.

Also the gravity is a bit floaty so you aren't constantly mashing the flap button.

The flapping mechanic was really inspired by an exercise using Multimedia Fusion and thought it would be and interesting idea to explore. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 am 

no news about this one?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 am 

That's a really neat idea, even if it takes a page or two from Kirby. :D

Not so sure about the Joust factor, as much as I like Joust 2..... :|

"USE A BOMB!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:55 am 

HEyo! I finally have some time for a quick update. The final Lunch Time demo is undergoing some quick tweaks, but other than that it should be released no later than Monday the 12th. Mainly I'm just working on some original music and leveling out the difficulty.

But in the mean time please enjoy this early version of Lunch Time. There's a bunch of stuff that needs to change but the basic premise is there. Another thing is that the music and some SFX are just filler and is not of my creation! It will not be in the final cut. Also, It's only for Windows and in windowed form, no full screen.

Please tell me what you think about my rookie SHUMP attempt.
\ ^_^ /

Download here!(19.5mb)

ps: if you get a broken link try again in 5 mins I'm still uploading :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:55 pm 

I really like the graphics, nice style and colors. Gameplay... Well, I can't really judge that properly yet. You see, my laptop doesn't have a numpad, so using arrow keys and enter at the same time feels ridiculous and I can't reach shoot button at all. Why not just change "flap flap flap" and shoot to Z and X buttons?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:15 pm 

Ebbo wrote:
I really like the graphics, nice style and colors. Gameplay... Well, I can't really judge that properly yet. You see, my laptop doesn't have a numpad, so using arrow keys and enter at the same time feels ridiculous and I can't reach shoot button at all. Why not just change "flap flap flap" and shoot to Z and X buttons?

Try under File > Players, you should get a table. In the first column under 1 and row marked keyboard there should be a X. click it and you should be able to remap the controls. But! do this when level 1 starts because theres a small error I just found where it resets the controls back to default whenever you gameover or start the level >_<

I'm on it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:44 pm 

Despite the Joust factor, it's still a neat shmup and I dig your monochrome color scheme, makes me think of my first Gameboy experience. Good times that.... :D

"USE A BOMB!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:37 am 

Alright! Controls should be fixed now :o

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:59 pm 

OK I've decided to finish up the demo and move on to the next game. I think I spent enough time with Birdy McBridington >_<

So, for the last update I've added a mode that keeps the "Flap flap" control scheme and one that opts for more of a classic SHUMP control. The classic way makes the game a little easier verses the Flap controls but you can be judge on that. It's interesting how much of a different play expirence you get by just changing the controls (no shit right! :mrgreen: ). It reminds me of how different it is playing street fighter on pad than on an arcade stick. Anyway, the file should be updated now and for good. Thanks for playing and your feed back ^_^

Download Demo ver 0.6

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:10 pm 

ShmupSamurai wrote:
Despite the Joust factor, it's still a neat shmup and I dig your monochrome color scheme, makes me think of my first Gameboy experience. Good times that.... :D

Thanks :D I thought "hey it a small quick game....make look like game boy". I'm glad you noticed ^_^.

I will always have fond memories of Game boy. It's been attached to me ever since i got the classic grey brick model for Christmas waaaay back when. Got me through some rough times as a kid when my ma would drag me along clothes shopping....*shutter*

Offline Profile