shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:12 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Show them if you've got them - Candy cabs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 pm 

awesome set up!
the zoid is a nice touch too.
:D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:06 pm 

Nice garage Stealthlurker, I have a very similar setup, grey bins and all. Only I can't park a car next to my cabs. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:58 am 

AKRATEN wrote:
awesome set up!
the zoid is a nice touch too.
:D

Thanks! Godzilla needed a boost to play, haha.

Dave_K. wrote:
Nice garage Stealthlurker, I have a very similar setup, grey bins and all. Only I can't park a car next to my cabs. :(

Yeah sometimes I consider not parking in there at all. That way I could jam in more machines... but it's nice to be able to park in there too, especially when it's pouring outside.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:02 pm 

Silvergun in the Megalo is just pure win

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:54 am 

Totally. One of the few cabs I still aspire to own one day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 am 

nem wrote:
Silvergun in the Megalo is just pure win

THIS
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 am 

Super excited about getting my first cab!

I've had it for about 2 weeks now, got my JP 360 hooked up and am borrowing that Vasara board. Looking forward to picking up some PCBs!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:28 am 

wnka wrote:

I've had it for about 2 weeks now, got my JP 360 hooked up and am borrowing that Vasara board. Looking forward to picking up some PCBs!

welcome to the club! having a cab (or 3..) of your own can't be beat. I've run out of space unfortunately, but I'm always daydreaming about what else I would like to have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:37 pm 

Congrats wnka! She's a beaut! I'm sick of drooling over other member's cabs, I almost sprang for New Astro City the other day but I think I'll wait another year until my knowledge of the hardware has improved as well as my ability to solder and whatnot.

Some of you guys have really sparked my interest to set up a full fledged arcade in my living room, it's awesome to see peoples setups because irl I don't know anyone who plays shmups :cry:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:33 pm 

chempop wrote:
I think I'll wait another year until my knowledge of the hardware has improved as well as my ability to solder and whatnot.

Just don't get a fixer-upper cabinet and most stuff is REALLY easy. The only thing you need to consider before getting one is
a) make sure the JAMMA harness is in tip-top shape
b) make sure the monitor has no burn-in or other issues

As a JAMMA PCB is basically just like any game system cartridge, you only need to be able to do this:

Installing a PCB
Turn the cabinet off, open the PCB door (if you have pets/kids), remove the PCB from it's box, insert the edge connector (make sure it's the right way) into the JAMMA harness and place the PCB inside the cabinet (in a PCB holder or on top of something safe, like cardboard or pink bubble wrap). Turn on the cabinet, adjust monitor size/position and sound volume (usually a small pot on the PCB). When pleased, close the PCB door. When you're finished playing, turn the cabinet off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:06 pm 

Thanks everybody, so glad to finally be part of this club.

Chempop-
I definitely agree with Emphatic, I'm a total n00b but it's pretty straightforward. Obviously I would be lost if something really bad happened, but it's all a learning process.

The only thing that has required any "skills" so far was soldering up stuff so I could hook my 360 to a JAMMA fingerboard, and even that wasn't that bad. That hardest part of that by far was doing the 360 padhack, so if you want to feel more comfortable soldering and playing with wire I would suggest building a joystick out of a controller.

If you only want to play PCBs, then it is virtually plug and play.

Take the plunge! You won't regret it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:33 am 

Haha, thanks for the info and encouragement, I just really want to know my shit first - all the vocabulary, parts, do's/don'ts, have all the tools first etc.

That's excellent advice about making a custom stick with a pad-hacked pcb. In fact, I have about 6 stick mod projects lined up to get my feet wet first.

I do have one very ridiculous question though - what is the best way to transport a candy cab? A Uhaul seems excesive, but I'd imagine a ramp is needed. From what I gather most candies have wheels on them. Is it okay to lay it down on its back, say, in the back of a large van or pickup truck?

Appologies for hijacking with lame questions lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:44 pm 

Minivan or hatchback will suffice. 2 people can pick them up off the ground, and at least Astro's, not sure about other cabs, have handholds on the back, so its super easy.

I have taken Astro's up a LOT of stairs, with just me and one other person, so its not bad at all.

And yes, they have wheels on the back side, so you can hold the cab by the handholds and just lean it back towards yourself and roll it around very easily.

Remember, Candy cabs are smaller than they look in pictures; a new astro only stands about 57", so not even 5ft tall, and under 200lbs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:05 pm 

jonny5 wrote:
I have taken Astro's up a LOT of stairs, with just me and one other person, so its not bad at all.

LOL indeed ... you know it didn't occur to me until yesterday the logistics that must have been involved there ...

I assume the Versus comes apart in the middle?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:46 am 

shmuppyLove wrote:
jonny5 wrote:

LOL indeed ... you know it didn't occur to me until yesterday the logistics that must have been involved there ...

ya the versus comes apart in several pieces, but even just the base took 3 people to get it up, because we had to lift it over our heads to get around my landing; thank god my apartment has double doors or we wouldnt have been able to get past the landing at my door. The real bitch was getting the neo geo cab up; took brendz and I like an hour and a half, step by step, and we almost died several times :shock: :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:54 am 

wnka wrote:

Fix that lamp for extra awesomeness.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:13 pm 

Jockel wrote:
Fix that lamp for extra awesomeness.

I'm tryin'! It was missing the starter bulb so I ordered a couple, but now it just flickers when powered on but the main bulb won't stay lit. I'll post more details in another thread...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:18 pm 

IT LIVES!

Need to get a new CP so I can drop some LS-32's in, by the look of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:05 pm 

mesh control wrote:
IT LIVES!

Awesome! 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:43 am 

jonny5 wrote:
shmuppyLove wrote:
jonny5 wrote:

ya the versus comes apart in several pieces, but even just the base took 3 people to get it up, because we had to lift it over our heads to get around my landing; thank god my apartment has double doors or we wouldnt have been able to get past the landing at my door. The real bitch was getting the neo geo cab up; took brendz and I like an hour and a half, step by step, and we almost died several times :shock: :lol:

The control panel can be removed if trying to fit a candy cab through a single doorway. I had to take off my Egret II control panel so the cab portion could fit through the single doorway with a mere scant couple of inches to spare. Talk about cutting it pretty close. Luckily, I didn't even have to take the door off it's hinges for the cab to fit through the doorway was a plus. ^_~

It was a simple removal of four bolts attached to machined screws with a pair of socket wrenches to get the E-II control panel off and back on again + reassemble the wiring harness from the control panel to the cab & it was good to go. Powered it up to make sure everything was 100% fully operational. Sure must be nice to have a double door entryway indeed, especially for an apartment.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:19 am 

Just bought my first house a couple months ago and finally got my cabs all set up. Here's some pics of the cab's and a couple other random pics of the rest of the room.

I built the Raiden cab a couple years ago (still need to figure out a bezel for it.) It's for MAME, Ps2 and Dreamcast. The Raiden theme doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a 2 player 6 button layout. If I could go back I'd probably just do Street Fighter artwork (I may redo the art someday). The Candy is for xbox 360 and PCB's and the Raiden II is for PCB's only.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:12 pm 

Here a few picks of my Egret 2, picked it up gutted with no CP, boards, decals or Monitor....

Image Image
ImageImage

Last edited by lettuce on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 am 

lettuce wrote:
Here a few picks of my Egret 2, picked it up gutted with no CP, boards, no decals or Monitor....

Image Image
ImageImage

oooooooooooh it's so pretty

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm 

burgerkingdiamond wrote:
lettuce wrote:

Cheers bud! Some people give me grief over this sometimes, but it wasnt getting any love when i bought it and wasnt like i took a good working condition Egret and stripped it down and painted it a different colour.....im really happy with how clean it turned out. Just a shame about the god awful Pentranic monitor i ended up putting in it :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 pm 

lettuce wrote:
burgerkingdiamond wrote:
lettuce wrote:

Cheers bud! Some people give me grief over this sometimes, but it wasnt getting any love when i bought it and wasnt like i took a good working condition Egret and stripped and painted it a different colour...and im really happy with how clean it turned out. Just a shame about the god awful Pentranic monitor i ended up putting in it :|

at least it looks like a quality paint job and like you said it looks super clean. I would love to have an Egret II so I could play some horis. My candy doesn't have a rotate mech and it's a son of a bitch to switch the monitor orientation, so I always leave it in Tate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:38 pm 

Yo BurgerKingDiamond, nice Aria Pro II you've got there. I've always wanted one of those.

edit: and thanks for showing me what my red P Bass could look like with a different pickguard. HOT!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:04 am 

Hi guys :) Long time browser first time poster :) You guys have some amazing looking cabs very nice! I like the built from scratch cabs alot. Im also building a cab from the ground up and should have it done in a few weeks. Inspired by a Viewlix Cab but with a rotated in tate position monitor. Will have some pics when its all finished. It will have a mame pc and hook ups for a xbox 360. Wont look anywhere near as good as your guys cabs but as long as i can play the games im happy :)

Last edited by J3SteR82 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:08 pm 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:10 pm 

I like that shot!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:33 pm 

Nice trainers

Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next