Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:38 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Touhou Tenkuushou ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons announced
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:48 pm 

ZUN's blog

So, Touhou 16. From the screenshots, we have the playable characters Reimu, Marisa, Aya and Cirno. Tanned Cirno. Seems like there's a seasons thing going on, unsurprisingly from the name, tanned Cirno being summer (hence the SUMMER in the background of that character select picture) and with Marisa wearing a scarf and gloves that definitely hints at winter. Possibilities include each character representing one season, or different seasons being different shot types or something. Edit: Given that Cirno is literally listed as Suntanned Cirno, different characters being different seasons seems more likely than seasons being shot types.

There's a gauge in the lower left with an icon above it that hints at some more seasons shenanigans - in the screen with Aya, it's definitely a snowflake, and in the one with Reimu, it looks like a pink butterfly, but might also be cherry blossoms. So the gimmick of the game is definitely tied to it in some way. Edit: And with the background and trees and shit being red in the Aya picture, it seems like it's autumn there, and winter, as denoted by the icon, is coming. Or something like that.

Someone else will have to translate if there's any more concrete info about anything.

Edit: Demo incoming at Reitaisai, unsurprisingly.

Last edited by KennyMan666 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Touhou Tenkuushou ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons announce
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 pm 

Hopefully no more damage sponges.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 pm 

I'm definitely not one to talk, but isn't the artstyle really really crap in this one?
I know ZUN isn't the best artist on the planet - he knows it, too, IIRC - but Touhou 15, for example, had decent portraits.
These resemble some sh*tty R34 sketches made in MS Paint by a 12-year-old with a broken mouse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:05 pm 

I can already hear those suntanned doujinshis approaching fast.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 pm 

AxelMill wrote:
I'm definitely not one to talk, but isn't the artstyle really really crap in this one?
I know ZUN isn't the best artist on the planet - he knows it, too, IIRC - but Touhou 15, for example, had decent portraits.
These resemble some sh*tty R34 sketches made in MS Paint by a 12-year-old with a broken mouse.

I dunno I kind of like them. Well it's definitely not his worst but I'm not sure that is saying much :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:47 pm 

The character art isn't ZUN's best but it's certainly better than MoF Reimu. The screen frame isn't as hideous as LoLK's too.

KAI wrote:
I can already hear those suntanned doujinshis approaching fast.

Already saw an artist I follow on Pixiv post fanart of suntanned Cirno.

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:28 pm 

Fucking finally dude. I almost thought he'd break the pattern for laughs.

AxelMill wrote:

See, this is why it's so easy to defend ZUN; the people who rag on him keep flip-flopping. These super tiny screenshots look exactly like what he's been doing for years. I have no idea what you're seeing in LoLK that you're not seeing here.

He's finally using Busorama, sweet. That's the big one he's consistently failed to use until now.

Aya as a playable outside of PoFV? Game of the year!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:05 am 

Despatche wrote:
AxelMill wrote:

See, this is why it's so easy to defend ZUN; the people who rag on him keep flip-flopping. These super tiny screenshots look exactly like what he's been doing for years. I have no idea what you're seeing in LoLK that you're not seeing here.

I think I should have inserted a few hundred thousand asterisks after that "decent", and "relatively" before it, yeah.
By "decent" I actually meant "compared to some s*tty R34 sketches made in MS Paint by a 12-year-old with a broken mouse". At least Lunatic Kingdom's portraits kind of resemble human beings. Cirno, in this one, looks like one of those stickmen I drew in kindergarten, with their clothes and hands drawn around their limbs.

Call this flip-flopping, too, if you wish.
I'm just trying to avoid starting yet another war with the more touchy Touhou fans, with all that thread locking and splitting and user banning. I'm already kind of responsible for at least two of those.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 am 

It's a bad meme is what it is. Stop and actually think about your bizarre comparison, and how stunningly overbearing it is for some simple cartoon art in a small indie game. I don't know what happened in that other thread, but I'm the only "touchy" Touhou fan around here. I have never said that ZUN is some top-tier hidden gem artist, and I never will. I have always said that I've seen too many people give art that's much worse than ZUN's a free pass (and I've seen this art in commercial works), and I always will. I see zero need to "justify" anything he does. I'm convinced that he's just being lazy, because these are not professional releases with big money behind them; that ZUN does this entirely for fun, and that's why he stays doujin. This is all the more relevant now that he has a family. The artstyle itself is inherently valid; look at his PC-98 pixel art and his old website stuff, and look at artists like huyusilver.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:17 pm 

Their poses and faces look stiff but imo they're perfectly serviceable... I actually quite like the colors and design of the blue one. The HUD/overlay looks quite nice as well. That witch's pose is really not doing anything though, looks like she's trying to carry an invisible pail of water. You'd think for such a fanservicey series the character portraits would be the most important part of the design process, but I dunno, at least they're recognizable characters. I don't find them significantly more offensive than Espgaluda 1's character portraits. Even though those are obviously better designed, I always go "huh?" when I see that art in a Cave game.

Credentials: I post weirdass miserable eroguro on instagram and I have briefly played two Touhou games

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 pm 

Touhou has never been a "fanservicey" series, it just has an Improbably Female Cast and solid, recognizable character designs, both of which contribute toward its receiving mountains of (often sexualized) fan-created works.

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:19 am 

Well yes, I suppose that is a major distinction. The fans service themselves, I guess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:45 pm 

The fans do service themselves. Trust me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:52 pm 

Damn 2hufans, they ruined 2hu.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:43 am 

I miss back when Zun traced over Slayers art.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile