Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:39 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Andromeda Wing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:25 pm 

Hi all,

I Just wanted to tell you about my new shoot 'em up that I've been developing over the last 2 years which I have decided to call Andromeda Wing. I have used C++ and DirectX 9 when coding the game engine and 3DS Max to create the graphics. I have drawn a lot of inspiration from Xenon 2 on the Amiga which is a game I used to love playing in my younger years.

I have included spiders and centipedes that emerge from tunnels and you can check it out here on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/691750/Andromeda_Wing/

It is a solo project and will be my first commercial release when it becomes available to buy and download in late August / early September.

Here are some screen shots of Andromeda Wing:

Here is the same video of my game uploaded on YouTube which basically shows my demo / arcade attract mode sequence since I have no video editing software!
https://youtu.be/E1Z8l5yfQds

Thanks for looking and hope you like it! :D

Adam

Last edited by adam301173 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Andromeda Wing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:31 am 

Hey,

Congratulations for making it this far!

Just looking at the Steam gameplay video, I've got a couple of feedback:

- The shooting sound effect gets annoying pretty quickly, maybe tone it down a bit? Also some music would really help

- I'm not sure how the shields work - I noticed the red bar changing, but there's really no feedback during the game that you got hit. Maybe add a couple of VFXs or sound effects to make sure the player knows what's going on?

- Related to the previous point, I can't tell what's the ship hitbox. I would recommend making it more obvious, for example look at Death Smiles, or my game, where you have a glowing orb at the centre of your ship/mecha.

- I'm not sure what the Player green bar is supposed to do. It seems like you get damaged by enemies explosions? In general I would definitely look at giving the player more feedback.

Apart from that, it would be great to know more about the game. What's the scoring system like for example?

P.S. the screenshots and youtube link are not working in your post

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:58 am 

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback :)

The video doesn't really do the game justice and it needs to be played to get a feel for how it works, obviously I'm incredibly biased since it's my creation! But I can honestly say that it plays really well and I've been determined to make it action packed with attack waves and new aliens being added all of the time. I will continue to develop and improve Andromeda Wing beyond my early September release date and will bare feedback in mind as I do so!

However, just to specifically address some of your points and queries:

* You can turn the sound right down in the options -> audio menu

* Music is one the way!

* The shield takes up some damage when you have it in between you and an alien whilst also inflicting damage on any alien that is near (until it's energy is run down and then it's lost until recollected).

* Point taken about the ship hit box, but I'll leave it as it is because that's my style for this game

* The green player bar is the energy / health bar and runs down if you get hit by an alien (they explode if their energy runs <= 0) , a projectile or crash into foreground scenery.

Cheers! :)
Adam

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 am 

Hi all,

If anybody else can't see the screenshots or the YouTube link doesn't work can you let me know please, thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 am 

Hey,

Yep, sounds good. I'm not a huge fan of damage and shield systems, I'd rather just have a one-hit one-kill, but I guess that's just a personal preference.

Same for the hitbox, I prefer being able to see it clearly where it is. But as you said, that's your style, there are many games such as Ikaruga where it's not visible.

I would definitely recommend working on a cooler video if you think it doesn't do justice to the game, as that's pretty much the one and only thing that people will see when deciding whether to buy the game.

Ah by the way, I can see the screenshots now, they were just blocked by a plugin, but I think the youtube link is still pointing to the wrong page, as it's opening my videos list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am 

Hi,

Yes I completely agree with you about the video - I do need to make a shorter one and move it to first in the viewing list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 pm 

I just fixed the YouTube URL so it should work fine now.

Cheers
Adam

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:31 am 

Hi all,

I've replaced the YouTube clip in the post with a link to the new trailer - check it out! :D

Offline Profile