shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:50 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Aeon Zenith
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:18 am 

Big thanks! Feedback appreciated! Some thoughts/comments!

M.Knight wrote:
-The heavy screen shake while you are trying to see if the bullets in front of you have been erased by Last Judgement Green Variant is baaaaaaaaaaadu

I thought I turned off the screenshake by default bwaaaaaah

Silly me lol. It's terrible I know, left over from an old prototype.

M.Knight wrote:
-Pre and Post Last-Judgement invincibility frames seem nonexistant. For some reason, I felt like it would make sense to have some.

Similarly, I could swear LJ has I-Frames. Will have to check!

M.Knight wrote:
-The Green Last Judgement weapon is terrible against kamikaze ennemies : one is bound to ram into you

M.Knight wrote:
-Due to the combination of a sudden higher player speed, a high enemy speed in general and the flame's seemingly low width, it is difficult to unlock Last Judgement's Flame variant. Actually, I end up running into a bullet most of the time and I don't think I triggered Flame Last Judgement even once.

After thinking it over a ton and testing out a few new prototypes, I've decided to try simply merging them in the next prototype. It'll simply be one judgment mode with:

[Hold A] Green Aim Attack
[Hold B] Red Flame Thrower

I think it'll be more balanced - and less of a pain in the ass to design around. Which brings me to...

M.Knight wrote:
-Some waves are much easier to trigger Last Judgement on them than others. I know you mentionned the waves are not in sync with the judgement timing yet, but I think it's impossible to do that without forcing the player to do exactly what you want him to do (and that's not fun). The judgement timer increases or decreases due to various reasons (getting hit, bombing, refraining from using the judgement mode when available, etc.) and due to that, you never really know when the player will activate judgement mode. It can theoretically happen anywhere within the level, aside from the very beginning I guess.

Hmmm, well, here was my logic/intention:

-Since Judgment refills based on time and kills, in theory, if you play a stage optimally and kill all extra enemies and never die, Judgment will always refill at the same predetermined points. These points can then be balanced to be the most interesting/challenging to unlock the bonus on.
-If you die or screw up, the rhythm of it will be thrown off, and you'll get less judgments in addition to getting them at different times. But Judgment should feel powerful enough that it will always feel useful (if risky) in almost any situation.

It's true that, optimally, it's very predetermined when the best time to use judgment/hyper is. But that's true of the majority of scoring systems. I'm just trying to make it more telegraphed, so that you don't have to sit down and watch a video or do math to determine when the best time to spend a hyper is. "Speed kill everything, all the time. Use Judgment, every chance you get." is what I wanted the game to tell people, without ambiguity. The challenge of mastery is in learning to execute those demands.

I'm gonna give the system one more shot I think with the above mentioned balance tweaks (among a few other things). I really like the idea of it on multiple levels (going from relatively "normal" combat to a flashy super mode with funky weapons, the unique "kill all the targets" lightgun thing, the change to bullet cancelling emphasis, etc.), and it's worked well in a few older prototypes. But if I have to scrap it, I will!

The only other balance tweak I have planned for next prototype is to scrap the bombs in favor of an Eschatos style shield. This should allow me to keep the bullet speed and formations relatively tough (though I will be nerfing the stage heavily, regardless) while keeping things more fair feeling. And it should make speedkilling more gutsy and meaningful, since you'll be able to defend yourself from difficult shit at the cost of shooting.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:45 pm 

Squire Grooktook wrote:
After thinking it over a ton and testing out a few new prototypes, I've decided to try simply merging them in the next prototype. It'll simply be one judgment mode with:

[Hold A] Green Aim Attack
[Hold B] Red Flame Thrower

I think it'll be more balanced - and less of a pain in the ass to design around. Which brings me to...

Spent the night playing with this, and it plays massively better. It's fun now even on random waves, let alone waves it has been designed around. I think the mechanic is saved.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:48 am 

Can't you no longer bomb while in Judgment mode with these new controls, as B now overrides it? Unless not being allowed to bomb in this mode is your intention, I would try tapping A for the flame and holding it for the green circle.
Aside from that, having both weapon types at hand seems much less restrictive, which is great. Both weapons have their strengths and I suppose there won't be any incompatibility issue between the wave you face and the judgement weapons now. Or at least, much less.

Squire Grooktook wrote:
I'm just trying to make it more telegraphed, so that you don't have to sit down and watch a video or do math to determine when the best time to spend a hyper is. "Speed kill everything, all the time. Use Judgment, every chance you get." is what I wanted the game to tell people, without ambiguity. The challenge of mastery is in learning to execute those demands.

I think your system works pretty well in that regard, but only as long as you don't die/bomb early/miss the judgment/etc. Making a mistake desyncs you with the intended judgment spots. That means you may have to use roundabout ways to get yourself back on the optimal track, such as bombing to delay the next Judgment or things like that. And that will require to know the timings rather well.

However, because of the new changes to the judgement weapons, not being on the optimal track may not be that bad and the waves you will trigger Judgment mode on can still unlock Last Judgement without too much trouble. I have the feeling it may put a dent in the learning curve for optimal scoring as an early mistake messes up a significant part of the stage's best scoring route, but at least it seems fine until you get to that point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:18 pm 

M.Knight wrote:
Can't you no longer bomb while in Judgment mode with these new controls, as B now overrides it? Unless not being allowed to bomb in this mode is your intention, I would try tapping A for the flame and holding it for the green circle.

Being able to bomb was another "oops" as well,l ha ha.

That being said, the new control scheme is:

[A] Shot (Green in Judgment)
[B] Shield (Flame in Judgment)
[C] Activate Judgment / Last Judgment

As I mentioned, I'm currently playing around with swapping out the bomb for a quick recharging Eschatos style shield. Not sure about this tweak, still playing with it. So we'll see how that goes.

M.Knight wrote:
I think your system works pretty well in that regard, but only as long as you don't die/bomb early/miss the judgment/etc. Making a mistake desyncs you with the intended judgment spots. That means you may have to use roundabout ways to get yourself back on the optimal track, such as bombing to delay the next Judgment or things like that. And that will require to know the timings rather well.

However, because of the new changes to the judgement weapons, not being on the optimal track may not be that bad and the waves you will trigger Judgment mode on can still unlock Last Judgement without too much trouble. I have the feeling it may put a dent in the learning curve for optimal scoring as an early mistake messes up a significant part of the stage's best scoring route, but at least it seems fine until you get to that point.

One other thing I had planned to slightly "stabilize" the Judgment pattern (even in case of screw up) was to have item carriers and minibosses occasionally drop medals that would instantly recharge Judgment. That way, even if you died or missed an activation, there would still be an opportunity or two to "get back on track" in each stage.

Another thing I didn't have time to implement.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:54 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju56L0-ZsSI

Little demonstration of the new offensive/defensive mechanic. Some copy pasta explanation from the discord:

Quote:
so uhhh, working on new defensive system. Initially to replace bombs, but now I'm considering having both :thinking:
Basically it's a flame thrower / shield / wide shot hybrid. You take out your little flame thrower and it slows and damages bullets, eventually destroying them. Because you can whip it out around, it also doubles as a close range wide shot (ala the one in Eschatos)
DRAWBACKS
>you're super slow while firing it
>eventually the flame starts to "tire out" and range decreases. This also makes it near impossible to kill bullets as you need a second or two of exposure/slowing to destroy them, and they'll be too close. So you can't just turtle.
>Flame is back at max strength everytime you use it, but there's a slight bit of "recovery" animation on it that you also can't shoot during. So you can't just tap to have max strength all the time
The idea was a defensive mechanic that has some offensive properties if used at close range (top of the screen), but will damage your speedkill score if you use it as a defensive crutch (turtling at the bottom of the screen). If you turtle too much, you can accidentally wall yourself too.

Right now it kiiiiiiinda works similar to the Antibody / Suppression Field in Hellsinker and Akashicverse
It's comparatively tricky to completely defend yourself with, so I'm thinking of leaving the bomb in so you also have a last ditch effort too (kind of like how Gigawing has the reflector shield which has both offensive/defensive potential, and then the bomb for emergencies)

So far it feels pretty good in my test waves. The only thing about this weapon is that, due to its slowing nature, it won't protect you from things that are already a pixel away from your hitbox. So it's more preemptive :thinking:
one of the reasons I'm considering leaving in bullet cancel flash bomb in as well

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:37 am 

Hagane experimenting a bit with a new melee animation style

New

Compare old:

Keep in mind they're still both more in "concept phase" to test out the different styles. No real polish, just quick mock ups really. So a lot of details can be adjusted.

I'm liking the new version a lot so far, though I'm thinking the "residue" has a little too much emphasis compared to the "body" of the arc itself. Thinking of requesting he put a little more emphasis on the arc, maybe making it an extra frame or two.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile