shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:31 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: SHMUP Creator: build and blast
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:09 am 

Really looking forward to this. I was wondering if there was anyway to create a touhou style bullet hell game?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:45 am 

You can make a bullet hell game with the SHMUP Creator. There's way to create complex bullet patterns and to use scoring systems.

As for touhou, shame on me, but I never tried any game of the serie.
Is there specific features you'll be interested in, in order to make such a game ?

S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:54 pm 

suny wrote:
You can make a bullet hell game with the SHMUP Creator. There's way to create complex bullet patterns and to use scoring systems.

As for touhou, shame on me, but I never tried any game of the serie.
Is there specific features you'll be interested in, in order to make such a game ?

S.

I think having easy dialog implement before bosses would be cool.

There are lots of really wonderful touhou style spell cards that would be really nice features.

In terms of bullet hell games, what patterns are you familiar with?
I could make a list of things that I'd like to see.

Touhou Danmakufu has a good variety of bullet boss style patterns, length and bullet projection range.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:31 am 

Original post:
http://bulostudio.com/2016/10/16/october-update/

OCTOBER UPDATE

We’ve been busy these last weeks, but not necessarily on the SHMUP Creator. We worked again for a big company on a cool project. It’s always frustrating because we can’t make progress on the SHMUP CREATOR while we work for someone else, but to be honest our contract was really interesting and we learnt a lot.
Then we took our summer holidays, in September :)
Now: back to work!

ASSETS MANAGEMENT
I wasn’t happy with the way users had to import 3D assets in the editor: you had to use an exporter to save a file from your 3D modeler in the Ogre3D format (.mesh).
Now, you can copy an .FBX in the asset directory of your game and it will appears at once in the Gamebox. You can immediately drag and drop it in the level and start to play. It’s quite simple and easy!
You can then modify any textures, meshes or sprites, and when you go back to the editor all the objects are updated!

BUGS, BUGS EVERYWHERE
We are testing every features of the game one by one.
Debugging can be excruciating: sometimes I spend ages on a simple bug. But most of the time, it can feel surprisingly good: I can feel the game and the editor becoming more stable and more polished everyday. I know more bugs are hiding everywhere, though…

WHAT’S NEXT?
There are a lot of features to test and debug : the bullets patterns editor, the start menu editor (which is a mess right now GUI-wise), the scoring system…
Then, there are features which are working well but which are too difficult to grasp for the user. Not because of the way they work, but because of the GUI and the way we are presenting the functionalities. We need to rework them.

We are making progress, the end is near, but there is so much to do…
S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:44 am 

Hey suny,
i just just seen your post about redoing the R-Type Leo level.
Looks realy nice so far.
I´m very interested about your progress.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:49 pm 

Not enough time to work on this as much as I want these days, but I'm slowly making progress.
I'll post some r-type leo videos this week-end, and next week I'll write an update on my (too slow) progress.

S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:08 pm 

R-TYPE LEO

I needed to test the 2D features of the SHMUP Creator but unfortunately didn't have the time to create assets right now. So, I choose to re-create parts of the first level of R-Type leo using sprites I ripped. A good tool to make progress, debug and polish.

So, there you are, the beginning of the game:

Inside the SHMUP Creator:

Of course, using a drag-and-drop tool, you can't do everything: the rotating orbs from the game are absent in my demo. I plan to allow users to use objects for weapons, but not in the upcoming release.
I tried to re-create the laser field with the simple tools of the SHMUP Creator, and I was happy to make it work in 5 minutes:

On this tweet, you can see more of the level, with the intro:
https://twitter.com/bulostudio/status/817735716537061376

Next week, I promise I'll do a small update on the dev progress!
S.

Last edited by suny on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:48 pm 

Looking good as always, suny! :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm 

Will it be possible to implement some GigaWing like shield to reflect bullets?
I play a lot of GigaWing at the moment and thought about making a game with similar mechanics.
Can´t wait for your upcoming report :D

suny (or anyone else), were can I read up how to rip sprites out of roms?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:48 pm 

Shadolf wrote:
I play a lot of GigaWing at the moment and thought about making a game with similar mechanics.
Can´t wait for your upcoming report :D

suny (or anyone else), were can I read up how to rip sprites out of roms?

There is a kind of bugged program called Artmoney. Some people used to use it for Mugen works, ripping fighting game characters.
You could also use debug options on the emulator to disable the tiles that you dont want to, and then run a program like Animget, which can take screenshots each 10 miliseconds.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:31 pm 

Amazing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:39 pm 

Are there any news on an alpha/beta version?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 am 

Quote:

No, it's not possible for now. I'll put this on my v2 to do list.

Quote:
Are there any news on an alpha/beta version?

Not yet. I can't give you a date, because I'm not working full-time on the SHMUP Creator right now.
But I have only 2 features to complete before the pre-alpha (the 3D snap and some kind of in-game tutorials). Then, I really need to write some docs before going alpha, and I can't say when I'll have time.
The good news is that the tool is almost complete. The bad news is that the last bit is always the longest :)
S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:08 am 

suny wrote:
The bad news is that the last bit is always the longest :)

That's equally true for games, not only for tools. It may be a bit different with shooters, due to the super rigorous gameplay testing you need to do, but on the average indie game the last 10% of the user experience take like half of the overall time ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:21 pm 

Original post:
http://bulostudio.com/2017/03/05/february-update/

FEBRUARY UPDATE

DEBUG, POLISH:
I corrected the weapons and the gameplay code, as well as a huge amount of small bugs. There was something wrong in the resource management which could cause a lot of problems in the futur between different games sharing their assets in the wrong way (if the assets share the same name). Now, everything is separate and it’s neater.
I also did a lot of small corrections and modifications to the UI until it felt “right” to me. A lot of things no one will remark, but which make the user experience smoother.

LAYER PRIORITY:
I worked for a long time on the priority and display order of the sprites and objects: users can use layers to control the rendering order, and I force the bullets and items order: the enemy bullets are always on top, then the player bullets, then the items. Same thing for the explosions, which should never hide the bullet during gameplay.

PARALLAX:
Speaking of layers, I wrote a small tool which allow to add parallax between layers. It was not trivial, because everything in the SHMUP Creator is 3D. The idea is to move away in depth the layers moving slower and to scale them to keep their apparent screen size. It was not easy to do, but it works :)

SNAP 3D:
I’m currently working on the snap 3D: I was proud of my sprite snapping, but I discovered that it was sometimes not working well. Instead of correcting it, I decided to write a new snap working in 2D as well as in 3D. It’s working well now. Still some polish in the next few days and it will be complete.

AND AFTER THAT ?
Next I will work on some in-game tutorials: it will not be full Nintendo-style tutorials, because I don’t have the manpower nor budget to do this in this version of the tool, but at least it will provide some basic explanations and an UI tour. I don’t want the new user to be completely lost at the beginning.After that, there will be on-line tutorials to help and teach people how to use the different features, which we need to write (crap…).
The 3D snap and the in-game tuts are the last two big features.

It’s not the end of the road, but my big to-do list is almost empty !!
S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:33 am 

I am so excited!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:21 am 

suny wrote:
Original post:
http://bulostudio.com/2017/03/05/february-update/

FEBRUARY UPDATE

DEBUG, POLISH:
I corrected the weapons and the gameplay code, as well as a huge amount of small bugs. There was something wrong in the resource management which could cause a lot of problems in the futur between different games sharing their assets in the wrong way (if the assets share the same name). Now, everything is separate and it’s neater.
I also did a lot of small corrections and modifications to the UI until it felt “right” to me. A lot of things no one will remark, but which make the user experience smoother.

LAYER PRIORITY:
I worked for a long time on the priority and display order of the sprites and objects: users can use layers to control the rendering order, and I force the bullets and items order: the enemy bullets are always on top, then the player bullets, then the items. Same thing for the explosions, which should never hide the bullet during gameplay.

PARALLAX:
Speaking of layers, I wrote a small tool which allow to add parallax between layers. It was not trivial, because everything in the SHMUP Creator is 3D. The idea is to move away in depth the layers moving slower and to scale them to keep their apparent screen size. It was not easy to do, but it works :)

SNAP 3D:
I’m currently working on the snap 3D: I was proud of my sprite snapping, but I discovered that it was sometimes not working well. Instead of correcting it, I decided to write a new snap working in 2D as well as in 3D. It’s working well now. Still some polish in the next few days and it will be complete.

AND AFTER THAT ?
Next I will work on some in-game tutorials: it will not be full Nintendo-style tutorials, because I don’t have the manpower nor budget to do this in this version of the tool, but at least it will provide some basic explanations and an UI tour. I don’t want the new user to be completely lost at the beginning.After that, there will be on-line tutorials to help and teach people how to use the different features, which we need to write (crap…).
The 3D snap and the in-game tuts are the last two big features.

It’s not the end of the road, but my big to-do list is almost empty !!
S.

Hey suny, how is it going?

Offline Profile