Here are links to threads from other parts of Shmups Forum (and other websites) that pertain partly to development and/or shmup design, which may be of assistance to shmup developers. New links will be added periodically, as I find them or people inform me of them.Considerations when designing a game with TATE
- a helpful guide regarding the logic behind developing screen rotation for your game, with considerations to most development environmentsAvoiding Gimmicks
- a very well-done discussion on how not to over-elaborate your shmup with non-fun gimmicksStrategy Board Index
- in-depth explanations for professional/hardcore shmup scoring/gameplay systems 2010 Winners
- voting results for annual Top 25 most popular shmups of all time What does "stage design" mean to you?
- neat discussion on STG stage designQ&A on Bullet Scripting
- some raw programming discussion regarding bullet scriptsTyrian Art Resources
- references for freeware art for rapid prototyping purposesCommon mistakes of new developers
- large list of developer mistakes, take what's in here with a pinch of saltFull Extent Of The Jam - Playing Shmups Competitively
- a good guide on how to play good shmups, can be handy for developers to understand player's perspectiveA more psychological take on shmup design
- can be useful for those who are completely lost about how the genre worksYour ideal first level in a shmup
- level design The Unofficial Shmup Glossary (Ver. 2.5) Returns!
- technical shmup terminology Do's and don'ts of a good shmup
-- debate on general design Market Research
/ More Market Research
- player buying habits and misc design "Non-Shooting" Shmups
- special gameplay mechanics Comparing/contrasting Cave's scoring systems
- score chaining systems Which shooter theme do you like best?
- poll on preferred art style Favorite Scoring Systems
- more scoring discussion New PC-Engine vertical shmup from MindRec!
- sprite art design and misc Difference between "Challenging" and "Punishing" games
- a video covering some very good points about old-gen game design, take with a grain of salt alsoMaking Good Bosses (according to Giest118)
- a somewhat brash discussion on designing boss battles that brings up a lot of good points
Please continue to use this subforum
for all dedicated shmup development discussions, rather than the general chat
forum. This helps to keep all dev-related information together in one place. If you see a scattered thread with content that has helped you as a developer, which isn't indexed here yet, let me know preferably via PM!