Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Aeon Zenith
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:05 am 

~Minor Update~

In the process of fixing some bugs and streamlining code in preparation for the big stage 1 demo, I've retooled a few visual effects. Thought they might be worth sharing here:

Turnin' the heat up
Hyper Laser now with additional POW
Authentic Taito Bendy Lasers

Also due to corresponding with somewhere there, I've lately been using Twitter to post minor updates and daily work stuff like this. Check it out if interested.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

ONE CEE CEE'S

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:04 am 

That wavey background visual effect is fucking sick! Quite curious as to how you managed to pull that off since there seems to be a few mechanisms and mine sucks.
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenohell / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:25 pm 

Thanks!

I used the classic method of applying a sine wave to the x/y location of the pixels in the image. Did it using draw sprite part function

My mistake when I first tried this was attemting to use draw sprite part on every pixel in the image, which was a bit too stressfull on gm. I talked to Eebrozgi, who actually uses the same effect in Final Boss, and he told me he uses the same method to accomplish it, except he only draws every line in the image. So far this has worked perfectly and GM hasn't had any problems with it.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

ONE CEE CEE'S

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:45 pm 

Last week I was daydreaming in math class, only to be suddenly struck by inspiration on how to execute the "tubular" background distortion effect (and various other works of psychadelia) Taito used in Darius/Metal Black/etc.

With a lot of guidance through the finer points of the basic concept by Trap15, managed to pull it off, please take a look ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_cA1hRakRU

Absolutely no polygons or 3d effects here. This is purely 2d sprite based tomfoolery.

ONE CEE CEE'S

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:31 pm 

I really like the very last example, with the warping texture incorporated against the static space background. Instantly reminded me of Rayforce's st2 moon flyby, where you can look "over the edge" of the lunar canyon to see the Earth miles below. Lots of potential for cinematic perspective trickery!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:50 am 

Yeah, I'm fond of that one.

There's actually quite a lot more different shapes and effects I could try. Could probably fool with this for weeks. This is just a proof of concept though, so I figured that was enough for now lol

ONE CEE CEE'S

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:10 am 

Really diggin' the progress on the visual effects, between the visceral heat distortion and the BG layer manipulation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:47 am 

Those effects are impressive! They really channel the old Taito sprite bending pseudo-3D shenanigans. :mrgreen:

Out of curiosity, I was wondering something : are those Taito-lasers made out of a bunch of independent sprites stuck together or are they one single object that can extend or compress their length depending on their movement?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:25 pm 

Thanks, all :D

M.Knight wrote:
Out of curiosity, I was wondering something : are those Taito-lasers made out of a bunch of independent sprites stuck together or are they one single object that can extend or compress their length depending on their movement?

You can probably do it both ways, but mine is the former, and based on some observations I suspect Darius also used the same method.

ONE CEE CEE'S

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:32 pm 

I see! Thanks for the answer. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:09 pm 

You're welcome!

ONE CEE CEE'S

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:41 pm 

Yeah, the former is basically the only way to do it. Just a bunch of circles or squares in a trail.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:27 pm 

I reckon on a modern platform you could also do some stuff with vector lines.

Offline Profile