shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1005 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Show your Tate setup thats not a cab or arcade machine
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:59 pm 

hi i want to see what tvs or lcd or rgb monitor you guys are using with your games on tate thx. please dont show cab pictures as thats not a setup im looking for thx.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:28 pm 

I'm using this old 21" Mitsubishi, ace picture, rotates no problem. I use it for horizontal games too so it gets rotated quite a lot.

ImageImage

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:37 pm 

The first few pics here, show my Tate set up, that doesn't involve a cab.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:58 pm 

wow thats cool im thinking of just doing what evilfunky is doing just byu n extra tv for permanant tate. and Ord you have tons of stuff :) drool...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:01 am 

Well now's a good time to buy a spare TV, CRTs are going hella cheap since everyone wants LCDs and plasmas instead.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:37 am 

Mine's pretty ghetto, just a cheap sylvania TV and a long svideo cord to hook it up to my switchbox with all my consoles. I have since taken the plastic off the joystick since it was starting to look pretty funny -- much nicer w/the plastic off. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:49 am 

edit: update on page 4.

Last edited by iatneH on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:50 am 

hentai, that is a cool ass joystick. Is that a custom job, or?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:42 am 

Sony Trinitron KV-13FS100 13" WEGA.

Nice, tiny, rotatable TV that I originally got just for shmups. Has component inputs. I thought it had s-video too, but that's apparently only on the bigger monitors. I wouldn't mind having two of these TVs. Right now though, the TV is unflipped for Atari 2600 and NES through composite.

ASUS VH236H with a Neo-Flex stand on top of a DVDO Edge.

When I realized I had an extra monitor I made the ASUS my dedicated display for HD shmups. And not a moment too soon; my Cave Shooting Collection Kan package (that I paid way too much for :x ) came in today.

Last edited by Triple Lei on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 am 

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ghegs/setup04.jpg

My ghetto gaming setup. I got each console hooked into a scart switcher so I can just flick a switch and play the desired console without messing with cables. And from that scart switcher the signal goes into a scart splitter, which feeds the signal simultanously to my TV, tate-monitor (a Philips CM 8533, RGB) and the capture device on my laptop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:52 am 

http://bloodrain.net/mysetup4.jpg

it´s an old picture, but the basic setup is still the same. The Namco joystick is replaced by a Naomi cab panel, a few PCBs and a PSone for Raiden games and Toaplan collection have been added, but that´s it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:51 am 

2x27"s

old pic, but still basically the same now, except uh, the tate tv hasnt been plugged in/turned on since i got this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:05 pm 

well I've moved so things are set up a bit differently now (see: much less ghetto), but here's the basic idea.

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/uploads/ ... tate.p.jpg

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:40 pm 

japtor wrote:
2x27"s

old pic, but still basically the same now, except uh, the tate tv hasnt been plugged in/turned on since i got this.

And here I was thinking I was the only one with a messy games room. :)

All these pictures of neat games setups were starting to make me nervous (and the missus rather angry in the process). :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:11 am 

Here's an old pic of my PVM-1910.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:04 am 

oxtsu wrote:

cool, someone told me they didn't tate at all. guess they were wrong.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:11 am 

Here is my 27" JVC tate'd running DDP:DOJ on PS2. I use component video for everything that supports it

And another shot of ESPRaDe running on FBA-XXX on my xbox.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:34 am 

@ Ghegs:

Are those the german Ranma mangas I see on your shelf to the left, or do the finnish ones just look exactly the same? I got the same sitting on my shelf.

Oh, and sorry for the OT.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:42 am 

benj wrote:
@ Ghegs:

Are those the german Ranma mangas I see on your shelf to the left, or do the finnish ones just look exactly the same? I got the same sitting on my shelf.

Oh, and sorry for the OT.

They're finnish ones, which I believe are based on the german translation.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:04 pm 

That 21"White Westinghouse pile of blah I've been flipping constantly for a good three years or so is finally retired to dedicated vertical. Unfortunately there isn't space on the TV tray for it, so it's on the flo'.

y helo thar trizeel

I'd try flipping the 27" Sanyo, but that's kinda not my TV. This set does great though, although there is very slight discoloration on the top-left and bottom-right corners.

Oh yeah, and because they're both older sets, the display is routed through an RF converter and coax splitters.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:37 pm 

Kingbuzzo wrote:
oxtsu wrote:

cool, someone told me they didn't tate at all. guess they were wrong.

You seem to be getting bad infos all over the place.

They were probably thinking of PVM-2530. It's been said to have troubles, though I can't recall if it was just discoloration or what. It it was, that's nothing a degausse wand couldn't fix.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:22 am 

Few months ago someone wrote about some tv problems after leaving tv flipped for a few days(turned off ofcourse). Do you people tate your tvs everytime you want to play? I flip my 29" Daewoo even few times a day because of.. fear and it's pain in the ass;/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:58 am 

Heres my set up, JVC 27" TV with my component video super gun.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:02 am 

Quote:
Few months ago someone wrote about some tv problems after leaving tv flipped for a few days(turned off ofcourse). Do you people tate your tvs everytime you want to play? I flip my 29" Daewoo even few times a day because of.. fear and it's pain in the ass;/

Remembering Bloodflower´s post from about a year ago, I think constantly flipping is probably more harmful than leaving it in tate, but it might depend on the make of the TV model.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:51 am 

Things that will kill a monitor/TV:

1) Heat: Some TVs are designed for heat to rise up and exit out the top. If you find your TV getting hot when in tate, mount a small 12V extraction fan on the top of the unit to help things along. Heat will cause capacitors on the monitor chassis to buldge and burst, which effectively turn them into either fully-open circuits, or full-closed resistors. Both will destory image and power quality to other components inside.

2) Crap falling inside the electron gun: only realla problem for monitors mounted facing upwards (like in cocktail cabs and oldschool pacman cabs). You can take it to a monitor repair shop and have the damage reversed. Not really a problem for you shmuppers.

3) Physical damage: if the monitor chassis is mounted in such a way that it will slip around when in tate. In this instance, you actually suffer a greater chance of damage if you flip your TV back and forth all day. Buying a nice square-cased TV is also a good idea to ensure it will sit on it's side happily and not fall over. I know a lot of new TVs are a pain to balance up on their side safely, which can be a hassle. I like to decase these sorts of TVs and mount them in a square MDF box, but messing around inside TVs is NOT advised for people who don't know what they are doing (there's enough charge inside there to kill you quite easily, so don't try this at home, kids).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:58 pm 

it290 wrote:

Mine's pretty ghetto, just a cheap sylvania TV and a long svideo cord to hook it up to my switchbox with all my consoles. I have since taken the plastic off the joystick since it was starting to look pretty funny -- much nicer w/the plastic off. ;)

Holy shit, I have the same exact TV! Lemme guess...from Best Buy? I also hooked it up with S-Video and am thinking about getting that same Hori Real Arcade Pro stick too!

Weren't you into CRPGs as well?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:41 pm 

elvis wrote:
Things that will kill a monitor/TV:

2) Crap falling inside the electron gun: only realla problem for monitors mounted facing upwards (like in cocktail cabs and oldschool pacman cabs). You can take it to a monitor repair shop and have the damage reversed. Not really a problem for you shmuppers.

I think when that starts to happen the monitor is dead anyway.
It's all vacuum between the screen and the electron gun.
You probably meant something else I guess.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:59 pm 

I don't have a picture of mine, but it's semi-ghetto: I'm using a Logitech analog gamepad, not a joystick, and I flip my 19", non-rotateable ViewSonic on its side (I balance it against the back of the chair it sits on, supported by a sock tied through the monitor's base to the chair, and to further help keep it from sliding, resting on a folded towel) whenever I want to play a vertical game.

I need to get a desk.

EDIT: ...is mine truly the most ghetto of them all? Yeah, I need to get that desk.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:44 pm 

Quote:
Holy shit, I have the same exact TV! Lemme guess...from Best Buy? I also hooked it up with S-Video and am thinking about getting that same Hori Real Arcade Pro stick too!

Weren't you into CRPGs as well?

I think I got mine from Kmart actually IIRC.

As for being into CRPGs, I'm a big fan of a few of them (Fallout series, Planescape:Torment).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:43 am 

Custom built supergun. super compact as well.
RGB monitor
Cps2 hori mode

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1005 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next