shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:22 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147
 Post subject: Re: XRGB-3
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:27 am 

Quote:
Does the neo geo mvs work fine with an xrgb-3 by now?

it's fine, but in B1 mode the XRGB will output the same refresh rate it sees on the input and wether your display will be able to show 480p59.15Hz is another question. Mine did (when I still used the XRGB-3) but introduced a framerate conversion which causes a little hiccup every once in a while.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:08 pm 

This black crush I killing me, I've messed with the gamma settings all day and can't get rid of it, this is super noticeable in dark scenes in tomb raider 2, especially when I compare against screenshots of the same game in the same room online

Could the psu going bad or being faulty possibly be the cause of this? I believe I have one of the newer ones and not the fatter fist gen ones. Anyone know what's going on?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:16 pm 

To what monitor are you connectiong ? Through native VGA or some kind of converter in between ? Maybe the black crush is happening after the XRGB-3. I don't recall having any problems with this in particular.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:08 pm 

Can the XRGB-3 AC Adapter handle being fed 115V?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:33 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
To what monitor are you connectiong ? Through native VGA or some kind of converter in between ? Maybe the black crush is happening after the XRGB-3. I don't recall having any problems with this in particular.

Xrgb3 > extron 203 > audio authority 9a60 > Sony w800b

I've already doubled the red blue and green gamma and that helped with overall brightness but not black crush

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:34 pm 

Lawfer wrote:
Can the XRGB-3 AC Adapter handle being fed 115V?

I've been using my XRGB3 with its original AC adapter on U.S. house mains (~115V) just fine.
It's uncommon for things in the '90s and later to not be able to regulate out the ~15V RMS difference between Japan and U.S. mains voltage, especially for a little switching power supply like this.

Laughingman.s9 wrote:
I've already doubled the red blue and green gamma and that helped with overall brightness but not black crush

You want to find some form of bias (brightness). Gamma is only a simple transfer function without any static bias, so it won't raise the black level. In your case, the black level is seemingly negative, if you are losing details that should be visible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:39 pm 

mikejmoffitt wrote:
I've been using my XRGB3 with its original AC adapter on U.S. house mains (~115V) just fine.
It's uncommon for things in the '90s and later to not be able to regulate out the ~15V RMS difference between Japan and U.S. mains voltage, especially for a little switching power supply like this.

Thank you.

Laughingman.s9 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:

Have you tried seeing if it changes anything if you change your TV RGB Range settings between "Full" and "Limited"?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:54 am 

Laughingman.s9 wrote:

You want to find some form of bias (brightness). Gamma is only a simple transfer function without any static bias, so it won't raise the black level. In your case, the black level is seemingly negative, if you are losing details that should be visible.[/quote]

So how do I go about rectifying this? Because I'm at a total loss right now

Laughingman.s9 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:

Have you tried seeing if it changes anything if you change your TV RGB Range settings between "Full" and "Limited"?[/quote]

I'm not even sure that's allowed on the component inputs, but let's say hypothetically I can set it to limited, how do I go about setting matching settings on the xrgb-3?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:28 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:
Does the neo geo mvs work fine with an xrgb-3 by now?

it's fine, but in B1 mode the XRGB will output the same refresh rate it sees on the input and wether your display will be able to show 480p59.15Hz is another question. Mine did (when I still used the XRGB-3) but introduced a framerate conversion which causes a little hiccup every once in a while.

I appear to be in this situation.

My cab has a Wells Gardner D9200 in it. In low res mode almost none of my games worked because it hated the sync they were sending it. Between MVS, CPS2, various generations of Cave games and several other random PCBs, only the PGM generation Cave games would work (DDP DOJ, Ketsui, etc).

So I grabbed an xrgb3, switched the monitor to VGA mode and now everything works ... except MVS.

All in all a huge improvement so not too sad. But if anyone has any ideas on how to get an MVS to work on this thing, I'd love to hear em.

Oddly my AES works fine. I'm guessing since the AES is consumer oriented, SNK made sure it put out a more standard sync rate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:10 pm 

Quote:
Oddly my AES works fine. I'm guessing since the AES is consumer oriented, SNK made sure it put out a more standard sync rate.

yes, the AES is running closer to standard NTSC Specs (a tiny bit faster than the MVS). You might want to look into a clock replacement for your MVS - essentially speeding it up as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:23 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:

yes, the AES is running closer to standard NTSC Specs (a tiny bit faster than the MVS). You might want to look into a clock replacement for your MVS - essentially speeding it up as well.

You mean replace the crystal to overclock it? That would increase the sync rate as well? interesting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:54 pm 

lordnikon wrote:
The display is flickering and very staticy / shakey. It is constantly flipping between 525i and 525p modes, and this is happening through any input video source. It basically looks like a really bad VCR/VHS tape output. Very chaotic.

Thanks to this mention I was able to fix my XRGB-3 PSU! :D

lordnikon wrote:
So it seems this is a capacitor issue in the XRGB-3's PSU. My Furman units are 120V 60hz. Could connecting my XRGB-3 to this blow the capacitors? or was this just something that happens over time with the XRGB-3's PSU? I/P on the XRGB-3's PSU says 100-120V 50/60hz. Same with the XSelect-D4. These always worked just fine in the past. Should I have been using something similar to a Step Down Transformer to ensure safe operation of the unit?

I think it's something that happens over time, I use an EU step down transformer I've had since around 2006-07 when I bought the XRGB-3 from Play-Asia.

Reliability has been poor the last few months, it would only work after letting it stay on for 30 or so minutes to "warm up" then powercycle it once. I let it stay on for a few days until it entered the same state you described. I guess that finally depleted those two capacitors.

This is what the PSU looked like when I opened it:

It doesn't show up very well in the photo but the blackness was actually a small blob on top of the capacitor. The one on the left clearly slighly bulged/opened.

With those two capacitors replaced it's now working perfectly again! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:40 pm 

I have some problem with running CDZ and Sigma AV7000 through Xrgb-3. Scart cables for both consoles were acquired from retro gaming cables and have been running fine through Framemeister but it is making a loud buzzing noise with no display on Xrgb-3. The unit is definitely not faulty as they work for other consoles. Can anyone help please?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:16 pm 

Hi everyone!

I`m new here and I have too many questions about X-RGB3 and how to watch scanlines with this device.
I Connected Msx Turbo-R and Playstation 2 in XRGB-3, I can watch and heard the image, but I can`t put scanlines in TV, So I checked a lot of options and I don`t know what I must do for watch scanlines.
Its problem of the LCD or RGB cables? Which resolution or options are the correct to see scanlines?

I hope someone could help me, I`m about to get crazy......

Thanks and sorry for my english...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147