shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:37 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Extron RGB - BNC to SCART wiring?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:58 pm 

Hello, I'm having some trouble with a BNC to Scart cable. Originally wired for Scart to BNC input (for say a PVM) but I'm trying to wire it for Extron RGB use so I can get it outputting to a Euro Scart TV.

Chain: 15khz Console/Mame PC > SyncStrike > Extron RGB 203 - RGBS > BNC to Scart > TV.

This is how the cable is currently wired. Originally the Yellow Sync cable was wired to pin 19 but I think it should be on 20 so I moved it. (There are no caps on any of the wires)

When attached to a TV I don't get a picture but get some very weird black and white interference or just a blank screen, seemed like TV was struggling so I didn't test it more than a few seconds. The Extron shows a 15khz input on the display (testing with an RGB n64). Could it be that it's missing a 220 cap or maybe because there's no voltage on the 8/16 pins it's not going to work? Any help would be appreciated. TV is a Sony KV 21X5U if that helps.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Extron RGB - BNC to SCART wiring?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:02 pm 

Is your TV in RGB mode ? Most TVs with Scart need a switching voltage to be present on pin 16 to enable RGB mode. Sounds like yours might be in composite mode instead. You don't need pin 8.

You can use a 1.5V AAA battery between pin 16 and ground.

And you need to move the audio pins from 1/3 to 2/6. And make sure pin 18 is grounded.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:41 pm 

Thanks for the info, Fudoh!

I thought switching to AV1 on the tv would automatically enable RGB but I guess that's wrong. Just retested it with a grounded pin18 and I can now see a very faint black and white image so you're right about it being in composite mode. Oh, that's interesting about the battery! I'll give it a try. Appreciate the help.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:18 pm 

Its like Sync is missing Ground. if it is you get what your describing. My first RGB nes i built with the playchoice ppu, i didnt think you needed to hook up the sync ground. thought that one of the other grounds would take care of it. And I was getting
the same thing on my tv.

Check your grounds make sure they all have continuity.

Offline Profile