shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:22 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: KabelDirekt vs RetroGamingCables.co.uk Packapunch SCART
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:00 pm 

I wanted to check if anyone has done a comparison on which SCART (Male to Male) cable is better between the KabelDirekt cables you can find on Amazon.com and the UK-based Packapunch cables by RetroGamingCables.co.uk? I have heard conflicting info about the quality of the KabelDirekt, I believe My Life in Gaming mentioned in a panel that they believed they have individually shielded internal cables, but I thought someone else on this forum previously (can't find the comment any longer) mentioned they aren't but have thicker outside shielding only and individual ground lines with each signal wire. If anyone knows I saw this question a few other places as well on other topics but didn't see an answer.

KabelDirekt:
http://a.co/j2kPuW3

Retro Gaming Cables:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... kapunch-2m

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: KabelDirekt vs RetroGamingCables.co.uk Packapunch SCART
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:23 pm 

I honestly don't know how to tell if they're shielded without pulling the insulation off and looking for that really thin foil (that's what they use now, right?), but here's a couple close-ups of the KabelDirekt if it helps you decide. I forget if this was one I resoldered (was switching from input to output so at some point had to switch some wires), so if there's any blatantly bad soldering it just may be mine...

http://imgur.com/a/xz65s

Also, RGC is $34 for a 6' cable with those cheap plastic SCART heads everything seems to use. KabelDirekt (in the USA at least) is $6.39 USD for a 15' cable! ...and though actually using these gives me a beautiful picture with no added noise or anything I can see. The Kabel also uses a MUCH more solid all-metal SCART head case.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:41 pm 

SCART to SCART cables had to have been pretty common. I don't see any reason to buy one from any specialty gaming cable seller since they're not niche items. The cheaper one you linked is probably also better made, with mass production bringing down the cost of more expensive cabling and the fact that they weren't hand-soldered.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:51 pm 

yeah, i have a couple of the KabelDirekt cables and one of the Packapunch, I'm not really sure what the internals should look like on an individually shielded cable to know if the KabelDirekt was decent or not. The Packapunch I have apparently is an older model when it had metal SCART heads, the new pictures look like they are now using the standard plastic heads that they use with the rest of their cables. I do think the price on the newer Packapunch cables is lower than I had spent originally, which you could argue is better or worse depending on how much you value the head enclosure. I'm mostly concerned with the quality of the shielding as these are my backbone cables between switches and upscalers and there sure are a lot of cables behind my setup that could interfere with each other if not shielded properly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 pm 

Good cables don't have to be expensive, I've been using multiple of these for years, about $2.50 for a 3 meter cable;

https://www.allekabels.nl/scart-kabel/8 ... oneel.html

Offline Profile