shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:53 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Lumagen VisionHDQ Questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:22 pm 

I made a lowball offer ($100) for one of these units on eBay and I'm glad I did. The unit is extremely versatile and is able to handle nearly everything I have been able to throw at it, including 240p, 480p and my PC resolutions. I'll provide more detail in the PC HDMI thread, but it is definitely in the running as one of the best units I've found.

I'm seeing one strange color issue: my SNES and SFC have a strange purple discoloration. My other systems (tested so far: FC, Xbox, N64, PS2) display fine. I've connected these via SCART to BNC to the HDQ and then DVI to HDMI out. Oddly, as a test, I used a spare SCART to BNC cable that has a built-in sync stripper and that caused my N64 to reproduce the discoloration issue. This leads me to believe that it might be sync related. Both the SNES and SFC are using csync, but the FC is as well. Anyone run into this or have any ideas?

I have one other connectivity question, possibly for Fudoh, or anyone else with one of these units. How do you handle audio with the unit? I find it very annoying that it can't route audio (since I might use it for both 480p and PC). I suppose I need a DVI-D + RCA to HDMI adapter. Are there any other solutions?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Lumagen VisionHDQ Questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 pm 

Quote:
I'm seeing one strange color issue: my SNES and SFC have a strange purple discoloration. My other systems (tested so far: FC, Xbox, N64, PS2) display fine. I've connected these via SCART to BNC to the HDQ and then DVI to HDMI out. Oddly, as a test, I used a spare SCART to BNC cable that has a built-in sync stripper and that caused my N64 to reproduce the discoloration issue. This leads me to believe that it might be sync related. Both the SNES and SFC are using csync, but the FC is as well. Anyone run into this or have any ideas?

next to maybe 10 minutes which I spent using 240p sources on the HDQ, I never bothered with any other 15khz sources on it.

I encountered this discoloration issue with 480p RGBHV sources though - or when trying to share inputs between RGBHV sources and component ones. The inputs on the HDQ have a weird gain function, where some kind of initial color balancing is done. If you have the right source signal (you need a 100 IRE window pattern on screen), you can do an (automatic) calibration on these inputs (MENU 0926 or 0966). This can solve the issue, but it's behaviour is still a bit off and it can manifast in other sources intead then. Check the manual addendums on Lumagen's site for more info on that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 pm 

I did some more testing and all other consoles, with the exception of the Dreamcast through the Toro, worked great. I'll need to do more testing of the Dreamcast to figure out what the problem might be. I plan to test the RGBHV output (right now I'm using the SCART output through a switch).

On a whim, I swapped the sync-on-luma cable I use for the N64 into the SNES and that resolved the coloration problem. So I'm not sure if there is a problem with the csync signal that the SNES is emitting that is causing this problem. Anyone know?

Fudoh, thanks for the explanation. I was a bit confused by the manual's discussion of calibration and yours clarified it for me. I will play around with that.

For the 240p sources, I definitely miss the scanlines that I get with the XRGB-mini, but the HDQ definitely does a much better job with 240p/480i transitions. Enough for me to figure out how I might incorporate this as an option in my setup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:17 am 

I've been able to sort out both of my problems:

1) For the SNES, the issue turned out to be the lack of a 330 ohm resistor. I see no color issues with a cable that has the resistor and do without. It's worth noting that the Lumagen is the only device I have that is sensitive to this, but I'm glad I figured it out and am now using a safer signal.

2) For the Dreamcast, I realized I need to change the signal from SCART to RGBS when going from 15khz to 30khz. With this change, the Dreamcast works great.

I love the Lumagen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:39 pm 

Xer Xian recently recommended the iScan HD+ as an alternate approach for downscaling to 240p. He pointed me to a thread by Fudoh and Blair that walked through the video signal settings needed to drive 240p on the HD+. I haven't had a chance to test the HD+ yet.

In reviewing the VisionHDQ manual, I noticed that it seems similarly robust in its ability to configure custom timings. Sure enough, the VisionHDQ can handle downscaling to 240p. Like the Genius II, it handles all signals, so you don't need to tinker with it when switching between 240p/480i/480p content. It seems to average adjacent pixels, so it isn't as crisp as the Genius II (and looks more like the Emotia).

That being said, the flexibility of this device continues to amaze me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:09 pm 

Thanks for testing that! I imagine that there are various processors which allow a custom 15khz output timing - just nobody ever thought about testing it...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:21 pm 

Of course all the credit goes to Fudoh and Blair for this - and now to yourself as well for testing it out successfully on another video processor :)

When this awfully hot summer comes to an end I'll really need to unearth my Crystalio II and see if I can get some later Cave ports to run at 240p..

Offline Profile