shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Retro_Console_Accessories ebay cables could cause damage...?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:10 am 

I wanted to continue the discussion outside of the [Everdrives could cause damage] topic here" (http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60284). Because I felt it was getting a bit confusing and too far off topic. even though it's a semi-related issue that is still a big concern going forward.

As I understand it, some (all?) of the cables from the seller [retro_console_accessories] on ebay contain a "buffering circuit" that pushes too much voltage into the sync signal. from what I understand this was done to fix issues some user had with unstable sync (dropouts) or Jail Bars on some systems (SEGA 32X and CDX being the ones I remember hearing about the most).

However, this Off spec voltage can, and has caused damage to user's equipment (mostly the XRGB-mini /framemeister) but it's possible other devices and equipment could sustain damage as well (RGB televisions and monitors, other scalers and line doublers, scart switches etc) User/modder "Voultar" did a video on the subject Here:https://youtu.be/khl6x0S_bV0 (and Youtubers "My life in Gaming" also talked about it at a panel Here: https://youtu.be/6mz76qYFsr4?t=8m25s)

I am still confused on a few details... (and i'm sure other users here are aswell)

1. Are all the cables from [retro_console_accessories] susceptible to this defect? or is just the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive cables?

2. If you have a scart switch (powered or unpowered) is the switch and wherever it's outputting to being damaged as well? (for instance, I have a BlueDelta Smart SCART outputting to an XRGB-1 line doubler. is the cable just damaging my scart switch? or is it killing both my switch and my XRGB-1? and perhaps my Extron RGB Interface and VGA monitor hooked into the same video chain?)

3. are these cables also damaging the video game systems they are connected to? (SNES, PS2, SEGA etc)

4. Try from My life in Gaming has published a statement after he communicated with someone from [retro_console_accessories] that the problem is fixed going forward. but he reiterates that he is not a technical person. is his statement correct? has the problem been fixed in the latest revision of the cables? if so when? and what are the options for people with affected cables? (besides buying from another seller or fixing the cables DIY).

I would apreciate some help on this (I don't have much knowledge on video cable making or electrical engineering. and I have not been able to get any response from the ebay seller).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Retro_Console_Accessories ebay cables could cause damage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 am 

I'm in the same boat. I have a "boosted" cable from RCA for my CDX and genesis. I wasn't sure if the Gscart lite would alleviate the issue with its sync conversion. I'm going to purchase some new cables from RGC in the 1st instance and then see if I can't fix the cables I have.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:38 am 

The buffering circuit on the MD's CSYNC output is required to make it useable at all. Reason for that is a design flaw on Sega's end. That's not the same as boosting the signal (which is shown in Voultar's videos).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:31 am 

I posted this in the everdrive thread, figure its best to post it here. Anyways all I'm interested in is, is my cable safe to use on my framemeister mini, if not how can I fix it.

Quote:
After reading all this, I decided to open my genesis 2 cable from retroconsoleaccessories.
I bought my cables about 1-2 years ago and it does have a amp board in place and is measuring about 460 Ohm resist on csync. It looks correctly made to me, no cap on csync though but other than that looks fine. btw how badly is the cap on csync needed and what size 220uf?

Here's a pic of the inside of my cable if anyone is interested, btw it is a genesis 2 cable
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/d2d1/o ... psmizg.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:27 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
The buffering circuit on the MD's CSYNC output is required to make it useable at all. Reason for that is a design flaw on Sega's end. That's not the same as boosting the signal (which is shown in Voultar's videos).

Right - The buffering circuit can be one of two things:

- A 470 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor and a 10uF/10v cap (you can also use a 220uF/16v cap, which is more commonly found in these cables.

- A logic gate circuit that Tim designed: viewtopic.php?p=768708#p768708

Using a THS7314 amp on the sync line provides the same isolation as the other two methods (which is why it works in the first place), but the output levels are too high making it unsafe for long-term use. The good news is that it's REALLY easy to fix; Just remove the amp from the SCART head, add the correct components (literally, less then $1 for everything) and solder them in place of the amp. The cables themselves are still good, it's just the sync circuit that needs checking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:33 pm 

retrorgb wrote:
- A 470 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor and a 10uF/10v cap (you can also use a 220uF/16v cap, which is more commonly found in these cables.

220uF is not only more common, in my point of view you SHOULD use at least a size of that. 10uF is way too less!

What you effectively do is creating a first order high pass filter along with the 75ohm termintaion. Wit 10uF the cut-off is somewhere around 212Hz. The target should be 10Hz or less. With 220uF you are at around 9.6Hz.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:11 pm 

For the sake of completeness, both the owner of retro_console_accessories and Try from My Life in Gaming responded to this directly on a post on r/crtgaming:

retro_console_accesssories:
Quote:
I'm aware it has to be 470 ohm (we put this in the din plug.) Genesis 1 cables have had this setup since April last year. It is the Genesis 2 cable we have had two versions of til most recently and one had the sync buffer. I'm aware this circuit should not be used now. I thought it was required to work on CDX, we have since been corrected on this. I don't know what versions of what cables people bought until they contact me with their eBay ID so I can sort it out.

Quote:
We are no longer using this circuit, it is redundant anyway now because we have had confirmation that CDX consoles work fine via the unbuffered version we've sold since last year, which is correctly 75 ohm attenuated. We are accepting returns if you are concerned about any previous cables. I can't talk here much because I have been up all day and night sorting out something that was triggered by a damaging prank we did suffer this weekend, not on this subreddit, not by anyone mentioned here, we do not know who or why they did it, it is not even related to this but we are still in very guarded mode, I'm also very very busy more so than usual and this situation has obviously heightened this. We will not be making SNES csync cables sans 330 ohm resistor either unless requested, even though this has caused returns in the past from NES RGB owners. The default state of all our cables is now csync attenuated, but this has been the case anyway on most of them for a long time bar the ones for mods that could and should have the resistors in the console. I have always been open to build cables to the spec requested, that option is still there and I have all the relevant components in stock to do this. Please contact me on eBay if you have concerns, I don't know your ID history otherwise. I really can't talk here other than to confirm this, I am extremely busy sorting something out.
Please contact me via eBay if possible because I will need your eBay ID. For what it is worth, I do have and use a framemeister. I've had it since it was first released. It is the main device we use, I don't have a fancy PVM just a little portable we use to test bnc cables on.

Try from My life in gaming:
Quote:
Hey everyone, this is Try from My Life in Gaming. I've never posted on Reddit before, but now is as good a time to start as any, I guess?
First of all, I want to apologize if our panel added to a stressful situation. A majority of my setup is connected with retro_console_accessories cables, and I have usually been quick to recommend her products because she's fast, has cheap shipping in the US, is willing to work with special requests, and for me the results have always been great, as long as I ordered the right cable.
As someone has already suggested, we certainly wished the question had not come up, and we were a bit uncomfortable with it - same as with the question regarding the GameCube HDMI situation. We even thought about cutting these parts from the panel video, but decided that would be dishonest. While we don't know all the answers to these questions, we thought it would be fishy to sweep them under the rug when they are real discussions being had by the community. I felt like we were vague/neutral enough in our responses to just run with the uncut discussion, and that it wouldn't do any harm.
When you're talking about ohms and the resistor configuration and the proper attenuation of sync signals and all that... honestly, we don't really understand that stuff. To clarify, we're video editors - not video engineers. Some people might mistake us for being a lot smarter than we really are, but the reality is that a ton of research goes into every episode, and a number of very technical people are helping us fact-check behind the scenes. The purpose of our videos is to help the average person (like us) get results that we can appreciate with our eyes, even if we don't quite understand what's happening at an electrical level.
That said, one of the toughest things for us is recommending stuff like cables and modders... people have wildly differing opinions about what is OK and what is not OK, and we don't have the technical background to say, "this person is doing it right," or "this person is doing it wrong." That's why we don't talk a whole ton about subjects like... where to buy cables... or who should mod your NES... despite how central they are to the whole RGB scene. Naturally, people come to us with these questions, and it can be very difficult to know what to do. If I plug it in, and it works, and it sounds nice, and looks as good as it can possibly be, then for me, well, I don't know any better, so I just hope it lasts forever. For others, they're going to scrutinize much more.
We keep hearing things from a variety of sources such as, "This modder doesn't actually know what he's doing," or "No one really makes these cables right," and so on. We don't know enough to confirm or dispute these claims ourselves, and lately it seems like we just don't even know how to approach these situations anymore. For example, in our RGB+component switchers episode we did back in April, we spent a good bit of time recommending retro_console_accessories shielded cables, because I can confirm that they absolutely help resolve video and audio noise in switcher situations. Then shortly after that, the "boosted sync" discussion started, which was kind of scary. Then people started asking us about why the cables are $1000 now, and while I assumed it was an alternative to the store closing when the daily quota is met, I didn't have an answer. These things added up and it was like, "What's going on? Should we stop recommending her cables?" At any rate, concerns like these were the latest things on our minds when the panel question hit. But at the same time, it's like, "Well, the cables have always been really good for ME," so who am I to say one way or the other?
I know that Voultar and the other technical sorts just want to ensure that "best practices" are met when people work with this sort of hardware. Voultar actually complimented my PC Engine cable that I got from retro_console_accessories a few months ago, calling it "very nice." But to clarify, we did discover boosted sync circuits in our Genesis CSYNC cables, including Coury's Master System cable, which he bought late last year - so that was not just hearsay, the circuits are actually in some cables. Like I say, it worked, so I didn't have any concerns until being told it was potentially dangerous, and that it would've been unwise to keep using it without getting it fixed.
But from this thread, I can see that retro_console_accessories wants to get this situation resolved and settled. No one likes this situation, because no one other than do-it-yourself sorts have any idea what to do for cables right now. Everyone has all these doubts, and it's not doing anyone any good. I've been a fan of retro_console_accessories ever since I got into RGB, she is clearly interested in making good products, and wants to prove it. I know that Retro Gaming Cables UK wants to the do the same, especially after he got a lot of criticism last year. I want both of these cable makers to continue to have success.
So here's what I propose: instead of all the fussing and uncertainty, let's all work together - the cable makers and the engineers - to ensure that both retro_console_accessories and Retro Gaming Cables UK are producing cables to spec. When we can confirm (with the approval of the people smarter than us) that this is the case with the newest versions of these cables, from both sellers, we can make a short PSA video (similar to the Framemeister PSA we produced in January) and get this thing settled once and for all. We'll be able to definitively say, "These cables are good, you can't go wrong either way." I want everyone to keep doing their thing and keep making cables. We'll all be so much happier if we just make it happen and put the uncertainty behind us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:16 pm 

While all of this concern originally stemmed from viletim's post (don't think the idea would have surfaced otherwise), retro gaming cables has some design oversights too.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nin ... SYNC-CSYNC

Viletim explicitly provided info for how to correctly apply the LM1881 for video level output almost TWO YEARS AGO, yet it continues unaddressed.

Spoiler: show

Resistor and cap for Rset are included, but not needed. No 470 ohm resistor between output and SCART pin 20. A simple bypass switch or jumper should be added so that the correct output level is selectable.

New NESRGB Firmware Featuring RGBSource Color Palettes

NES "Hybrid" Palette - Striking a Balance Between Composite and RGB

Creating an "accurate" NES NTSC Color Palette

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:02 pm 

NakedArthur thank you for posting that information. I contacted them on eBay and hopefully I will get a replacement. My order was a long time ago but I still have all documentation from emails from eBay and Paypal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:31 pm 

borti4938 wrote:
retrorgb wrote:

220uF is not only more common, in my point of view you SHOULD use at least a size of that. 10uF is way too less!

What you effectively do is creating a first order high pass filter along with the 75ohm termintaion. Wit 10uF the cut-off is somewhere around 212Hz. The target should be 10Hz or less. With 220uF you are at around 9.6Hz.

Your statement is valid for video signals. But not for something only containing sync data. Using a 220uF capacitor is fine, though. It may slightly change the ready state, but this is negligible.

Also, your math isn't right.

If you're talking about a video line (which we aren't) you have a 75Ω source, 220uF cap, and then a 75Ω termination. It's 4.8Hz because it's 150Ω.

You do the calculation of 1/(2pi*R*C) with 150 being R and 220uF being C for a video-line.

With the Genesis, this is a bit goofy because it's non-linear due to the C-Sync being an open collector. But you have a 2.2K pull-up which is kinda your source resistance.

That's why you can get away with a much smaller capacitor, because of the giant pull-up resistor. TTL C-Sync isn't a video line.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:11 pm 

Following the advice on this thread, I've removed the csync boosted amp board on my genesis 2 cable, installed a 470ohm resistor then a 220uf 16v cap on the csync, this is good right? I mean the cable still works good.

Last edited by Thomas83lin on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:29 pm 

Voultar wrote:
Also, your math isn't right.

If you're talking about a video line (which we aren't) you have a 75Ω source, 220uF cap, and then a 75Ω termination. It's 4.8Hz because it's 150Ω.

You do the calculation of 1/(2pi*R*C) with 150 being R and 220uF being C for a video-line.

With the Genesis, this is a bit goofy because it's non-linear due to the C-Sync being an open collector. But you have a 2.2K pull-up which is kinda your source resistance.

That's why you can get away with a much smaller capacitor, because of the giant pull-up resistor. TTL C-Sync isn't a video line.

You were right - I lost somewhere the factor two while calculating in my head... or maybe really the second 75ohm resistor. But the direction is correct.
Also and you know that with the 460ohm in the line you should be also somewhere below 10Hz - if I haven't lost the 2 this time it should be somewhere around 1.35Hz...(???)

However, you know how people are. You throw in 10uF and people generalise quite quickly and mixed a lot up. Even if you never said that 10uF is good for video lines e.g... That's why I have written "should" and not "must".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 pm 

RGBSource wrote:
While all of this concern originally stemmed from viletim's post (don't think the idea would have surfaced otherwise), retro gaming cables has some design oversights too.

Even regular CSync cables without any built-in circuit are problematic (MD, SNES). He has been selling these TTL CSync cables for years as if nothing were wrong with them. When I finally realised how incompatible they are and that there is a possible chance of damaging equipment I sent him a mail about the matter, no reponse of course. He is now selling properly attenuated cables for 36 pounds so his business seems to run quite well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 pm 

While at it: can sombody enlighten me on how the NG AES sync output is handled correctly ? I think some later revisions have composite video wired to both output pins anyway, but what about earlier NG AES models. What's the output level of the CSYNC there and is a buffer required in any way ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:32 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
While at it: can sombody enlighten me on how the NG AES sync output is handled correctly ? I think some later revisions have composite video wired to both output pins anyway, but what about earlier NG AES models. What's the output level of the CSYNC there and is a buffer required in any way ?

This is kinda funky, too.

The early revisions uses the C-Sync output of the 1145. On the later revisions, they just tied composite video to the C-sync pin. On the CD systems they have a composite video RCA jack that's also connected composite video on the DIN as well C-Sync pin on the DIN.

On the earlier revisions that use the 1145. That C-Sync output going out to the din is already AC coupled, so it should be good to go.

Only relevant to earlier revisions. Just buzz those pins on your DIN to see if you have continuity. But here ya go:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:05 pm 

Thanks! Is there any reason then NOT to use the CSYNC output from the DIN connector (pin7) ? I mean worst case scenario would be that you get the same quality as using the composite video pin, right ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:32 pm 

There really isn't any penalty. It's AC coupled and ready for termination without any extra parts. It will simply perform better with cables that aren't built properly as there's no nasty colorburst to couple.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:31 am 

nakedarthur wrote:

retro_console_accesssories:
Quote:
I'm aware it has to be 470 ohm (we put this in the din plug.)

Now that is interesting. We've had people opening the scart end (myself included) and not seeing the resistor makes us think it is missing. I've been playing it safe and adding it in myself in the scart head end, and everything seems to work fine anyway, at least on the Framemeister.

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 pm 

One thing I'd like to know is do you ever _need_ the higher voltage TTL sync when using RGBs? I know some devices have a large enough tolerance for sync that they can use standard 75 ohm terminated csync or TTL level sync, but is any (practical for this community) device going to not work without the higher voltage of TTL or possibly be damaged from "undervoltage" for 75 ohm terminated csync.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:12 pm 

I don't know about damaged, but there are plenty of devices that expect TTL sync. Mostly devices that primarily use VGA, but still accept RGBS, since VGA uses TTL sync.

One example of this is the OSSC. It requires TTL sync on AV3 (the VGA input) for both RGBHV and RGBS modes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:26 pm 

I suppose this question is probably meant for Voultar, but I am using a framemeister and I share a shielded SNES Csync cable I bought from RCA between my SNES and N64. I haven't checked the SCART head yet but I assume I need to verify if it has a 330-450 ohm resistor on the csync line? This leads to my real question.

I am using voultars 7374 board. The one with the sync stripper not the latest one. Will the SNES cable still work with this configuration if I need to add the resistor into the cable or do I absolutely need to upgrade the RGB board?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:08 pm 

pyroman512 wrote:
I suppose this question is probably meant for Voultar, but I am using a framemeister and I share a shielded SNES Csync cable I bought from RCA between my SNES and N64. I haven't checked the SCART head yet but I assume I need to verify if it has a 330-450 ohm resistor on the csync line? This leads to my real question.

I am using voultars 7374 board. The one with the sync stripper not the latest one. Will the SNES cable still work with this configuration if I need to add the resistor into the cable or do I absolutely need to upgrade the RGB board?

That older revision has attenuation on-board, just short the jumper IF your cable has no resistor. It probably does, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:13 pm 

Voultar wrote:
pyroman512 wrote:

That older revision has attenuation on-board, just short the jumper IF your cable has no resistor. It probably does, though.

I'm going to double check tonight. I think it didn't cause I vaguely remember looking into it when I installed my NESRGB mod. So just to make sure we are on same page. On my board revision short CSYNC_JP if there is nothing in the cable. Open if there is a resistor.

If there is no resistor I would need to add one to account for the TTL output of the SNES anyways so I should then have the consoles all outputting TTL so that the properly attenuated cable can work correctly?

retrorgb has my SNES for testing so I'll be getting that back with your bypass, I wasn't using one before. So I just want to make sure all my crap is on the same page. I guess at that point SNES, N64, and NESRGB with the mods would all have the ability to change between TTL and 75ohm depending on the cable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:38 pm 

pyroman512 wrote:

Be aware that on my rca snes csync cable, its csync resistor was located on the nintendo plug not in the scart head. Mine had a 180ohm resistor which I bumped up to 330 by adding 2 75ohm resistors in the scart head. You can measure the resistance on csync with a meter tester to be sure. btw they do have a 330 ohm version of the cable, its easy to verify using a meter tester.

Last edited by Thomas83lin on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:51 pm 

RGBSource wrote:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nin ... SYNC-CSYNC

Viletim explicitly provided info for how to correctly apply the LM1881 for video level output almost TWO YEARS AGO, yet it continues unaddressed.

Resistor and cap for Rset are included, but not needed. No 470 ohm resistor between output and SCART pin 20. A simple bypass switch or jumper should be added so that the correct output level is selectable.

eliteshmupper wrote:
Even regular CSync cables without any built-in circuit are problematic (MD, SNES). He has been selling these TTL CSync cables for years as if nothing were wrong with them. When I finally realised how incompatible they are and that there is a possible chance of damaging equipment I sent him a mail about the matter, no reponse of course. He is now selling properly attenuated cables for 36 pounds so his business seems to run quite well.

Confusing. So the csync N64 cable from Retro Gaming Cables is potentially at issue? Are their current Genesis and SNES cables okay, or not?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:25 pm 

does RCA still use the boosted sync boards or have they changed to the correct design with the resistor and cap?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:57 pm 

I just added a video to the csync page that might help anyone who wants to figure out if their cables are okay: http://www.retrorgb.com/csync.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:59 pm 

Fudoh wrote:

I have a CSYNC Genesis cable with a circuit in the head. Is your post saying that this circuit might be for buffering and not boosting the C-Sync? (EDIT: RCA have confirmed this cable has the buffering circuit, not the booster circuit. So looks like the CRT damage it might be due to the SMS itself or SMS/cable combo).

There's also some sort of buzzing/crackling noise coming from the circuitry in the rear of the TV, sounds like it's near to the RGB connector.

Last edited by bonzo.bits on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:11 pm 

That Crackling noise might just be a bad flyback, or flyback wire.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:44 am 

So I bought the NTSC versions of their SCART cables, though I think only the Saturn was C-Sync. Dates listed. So which should I consider having issues?

1/27/2013 Genesis 2/32X
1/27/2013 Genesis 1/SMS (mono)
1/27/2013 Genesis 1 (stereo jack)
8/26/2014 SNES
2/15/2016 Saturn (Luma Sync)

Offline Profile