shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Retro_Console_Accessories ebay cables could cause damage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 am 

Does anyone know what problems I might expect from an SNES csync cable that lacks the 330ohm resistor?

I have a SNES csync cable that until now has worked flawlessly wherever I have used it, including a Sony consumer CRT, a Sony PVM, and a Framemeister. However, when I use the cable with a Lumagen VisionHDQ, I see a purplish discoloration that is specific to the SNES + csync cable. All other systems work fine. As a test, I used a sync-on-luma cable I normally use with my N64 and the discoloration no longer happens. So the problem is specific to the SNES plus this csync cable.

Any chance the problem is related to the missing resistor?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:04 am 

Well, I have confirmation that my problem was due to the missing resistor. My discoloration issue was resolved when using a cable that contains the resistor. Interestingly, the Lumagen is the only device I have that was affected by wrong level. Everything else (consumer CRT, PVM and Framemeister) all worked fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm 

Reading this tread makes me think twice, but I was looking to order from retro_console_accessories on ebay since I am on the pre-purchase list for an OSSC. Need a SCART cable for my Playstation 2 and I was looking to order one with the coaxial pro cabling upgrade. But was wondering if I should have them not install 1000uF capacitors in the cable as it will only be used in a Playstation 2. From what I understand, 1000uF capacitors are needed for use with a Playstation 1 only.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:11 pm 

She is extremely receptive to feedback and continues to adjust what she does to align with best practices.

I've had nothing but great experiences with her and highly recommend her products.

Will it turn out that you need to pick up a new cable down the road when best practices evolve? Possibly, but I personally don't hold that against her (or RGC).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 pm 

strygo wrote:
She is extremely receptive to feedback and continues to adjust what she does to align with best practices.

I've had nothing but great experiences with her and highly recommend her products.

Will it turn out that you need to pick up a new cable down the road when best practices evolve? Possibly, but I personally don't hold that against her (or RGC).

Agree. And to update on my last post they fixed my Genesis cable free of charge. This was 4+ years after my purchase date. They stand behind their work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:52 pm 

She's now got a more comprehensive store separate from ebay:

https://retro-access.com/

All of my cables for my wall of consoles are brand new coaxial-upgraded SCART cables that she made for me. I inspected each of them with my multimeter, and they all pass with the proper components.

-FBX

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:11 am 

This was a sobering read, being that 99% of my cables come from her. I went ahead and sent her an email with ID numbers hoping to find out if any of mine could be suspect. *crosses fingers*

I've never had anything but great experiences with retro_console_accessories so I hope all this gets sorted out quickly and quietly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 am 

There's no big scandal here.

- If you bought a csync cable for SNES more than a month ago, it's probably missing a resistor. (If you use the cable for the NESRGB, you're fine.)

- If you bought a csync cable for Genesis more than 12-14 months ago, it's probably missing a resistor and capacitor.

- If you bought a csync cable for Genesis more than a month ago, it may have an unnecessary buffered sync circuit that isn't needed.

- If you bought a csync cable for model 2 Saturn more than a month ago, it may benefit from a resistor/capacitor.

The irony of the issues that have been uncovered is that if you stuck with sync on luma or sync on composite, you're fine. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:30 am 

Can poorly shielded or grounded cables cause jailbars to appear?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:53 pm 

GeneraLight wrote:

They can cause distortions or interference to appear but it would take improper voltage or wiring to cause a jailbar/colorbanding type issue. Neither is good though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:10 pm 

strygo wrote:
There's no big scandal here.

- If you bought a csync cable for SNES more than a month ago, it's probably missing a resistor. (If you use the cable for the NESRGB, you're fine.)

- If you bought a csync cable for Genesis more than 12-14 months ago, it's probably missing a resistor and capacitor.

- If you bought a csync cable for Genesis more than a month ago, it may have an unnecessary buffered sync circuit that isn't needed.

- If you bought a csync cable for model 2 Saturn more than a month ago, it may benefit from a resistor/capacitor.

The irony of the issues that have been uncovered is that if you stuck with sync on luma or sync on composite, you're fine. :)

Thanks for the roundup!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:09 pm 

Wolf_ wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:

They can cause distortions or interference to appear but it would take improper voltage or wiring to cause a jailbar/colorbanding type issue. Neither is good though.

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:02 pm 

So if I order a SCART cable for PlayStation 2, and it is only going to be used for that console, should I have 1000uF capacitors in the cable or not?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:13 am 

Where would you place the capacitor and for what purpose?

Speaking for NTSC PlayStations, they are pretty straightforward in their AV output. They don't expose csync and therefore you would typically use the luma signal for sync.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:17 am 

FBX wrote:
She's now got a more comprehensive store separate from ebay:

https://retro-access.com/

All of my cables for my wall of consoles are brand new coaxial-upgraded SCART cables that she made for me. I inspected each of them with my multimeter, and they all pass with the proper components.

-FBX

That's great, wouldn't have known about her new site if you hadn't posted it FBX.

For those who haven't looked, she mentions on her site what components are in the sync line for csync cables. She may have also updated her ebay listings with that info, I'm not sure.

Only problem I saw was the Sega Saturn page mentioning a 470uF cap, which doesn't match either of the two values on retrorgb. Both pages seem to have typos, and I don't know which is correct.

Offline Profile