shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:07 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: RetroTink: High Quality 240p from Raspberry PI
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:12 am 

I know emulation isn't the best solution but let's face it, some of these games are going to get tougher and tougher to retrieve and although I've sunk thousands of $$$ into trying to keep the games I love in the purist state, I do dabble into emulation now and again. Behold a new product that I purchased from www.retrotink.com called the RetroTink-C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfAuDyB0p_g

It is very easy to set up and you will see the results are quite good using a frame buffer of 1920 x 240. Input delay is minimal. Now Mike Chi is working on different units than can pass S-VHS, Composite, and one that does RGB over BNC connectors. For those who have the Raspberry Pi boards, I think this is a very straightforward and excellent product.
PS3>Onkyo636>Vizio D65U-D1
Alienware 13R3 Samsung OLED w/Nvidia GTX 1080TI

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: RetroTink: High Quality 240p from Raspberry PI
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:45 am 

I think this is pretty great, actually. A raspberry pi for mame is something I've wanted for a while but with their removal of analog signals it looked like it would never happen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:47 am 

That's quite cool considering its size. I presume it's running some sort of special Linux OS so which emulators can it run?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:25 pm 

Sup Bahn, found your channel a couple weeks ago and am a fan of your setups! I'm dying to see a 65" OLED + OSSC in person one day lol
Thanks for sharing the retrotink stuff, it's a compelling alternative.
There's a post on the libretro forums about testing RetroArch lag vs. real hardware. He claims only about 1 PAL frame on the snes. I'm sure mileage varies and this wasn't a RasPi but interesting nonetheless.
https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-input- ... n/4407/424

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:59 pm 

I have a Pi 3b and many of the great beat-em-ups are super slow on it. I've used a pi2scart and pi2jamma and they are finicky with the signal config. It is a great solution on a budget, but I do plan to build a GroovyMame setup at some point soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:58 pm 

Einzelherz wrote:
I think this is pretty great, actually. A raspberry pi for mame is something I've wanted for a while but with their removal of analog signals it looked like it would never happen.

Which analog signals? They've quasi-recently added 240p support (always had 480i), although both are through composite which is less than ideal... (don't know if that was what you're talking about or not ;)

noonan2678 wrote:
I have a Pi 3b and many of the great beat-em-ups are super slow on it. I've used a pi2scart and pi2jamma and they are finicky with the signal config. It is a great solution on a budget, but I do plan to build a GroovyMame setup at some point soon.

Which exact games are you playing which are slow? Which version of MAME? Which Emulator? I don't have real arcade hardware to compare them to (and it's been YEARS since I played on a real arcade cab) but every week we play games like Street Fighter 2, Marvel vs. Capcom, Final Fight, Alien vs predator, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, D&D TOD, TMNT, etc. et.c etc. and they seem to run great (nothing 3d of course).

To the OP, the RetroTink does seem great. I have the Pi2SCART which uses pretty much the same exact pixel size cheat (there's a couple other board and cable options too), and I love it!

My only complaint is how even with the 1600px tweak, if I don't want any bit of the screen to be cut off (and don't want pixel tearing) I STILL have to adjust the H/V Size/Centering/Phase/etc. on my multiple monitors every time I want to use the Pi, then change it back (again, on every single monitor, many through the tedious hidden service menus) so my 6x video game consoles don't have part of the screen cut off. Such a pain, and a fault of the limited Pi 3 pixel clock (not these RGBs/Component outputting add-on boards). I've honestly just been dealing with the top and bottom of my MAME games being cut off (mostly on the 240px ones - 224px seems to be pretty close to my consoles) instead of dealing with service menus every time (much lesser of the two evils).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:56 pm 

Damn the RetroTink is super expensive then?!??, may i ask why you went with that over something like the Pi2SCART adapter (http://retrorgb.com/rpi240p.html) its super cheap compared to the RetroTink?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:22 pm 

lettuce wrote:
Damn the RetroTink is super expensive then?!??, may i ask why you went with that over something like the Pi2SCART adapter (http://retrorgb.com/rpi240p.html) its super cheap compared to the RetroTink?

$47 shipped for the Pi2SCART to the states. For the Pi2SCART I still need a SCART to BNC breakout cable* which is $40 shipped from WookieWin on eBay, or like $20ish + $6? shipping from that store in the United Kingdom = $113 *needs to be a special male SCART type too - or I need an adapter if I'm using a SCART to BNC cable I already have

For the RetroTink RGBs ($65 + $10? shipping) I can get by with a $10 BNC to BNC cable from Monoprice ($7 shipping?) - both of these to get the signal to my Sony PVM/BVM's = $92

...pretty close in price (hopefully I did the rough math correctly ;) Granted, if you already have the cables it can swing either way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 pm 

lettuce wrote:

I went with the Retrotink due to higher quality DACs. Mike Chi's site can yell you more about it(8bit vs 6bit). Also as portable solution, SCART isn't common here in the US. Most CRTs made post 2000 have component input. For instance my JVC only has component, s-video and composite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:29 pm 

It achieves 8-bits per channel by consuming every single GPIO pin, leaving nothing for controller inputs or soft power switches, so there are sacrifices.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:39 pm 

Yes guspaz. I had a usb hub laying around and have found that to be Good solution. Also my usb soundcard was found very easily by Lakka 2.0 giving much better audio quality at higher volumes.

The rpi3 analog audio out is utterly subpar. The usb soundcard was $5 and well worth it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:34 am 

lettuce wrote:

expensive?? This thing is a steal at the price considering it's low volume and probably not very profitable.
For what it does too, worth every penny IMO.

Offline Profile