shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: RESOLVED: Capcom CPS + Framemeister Sync Issue
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 am 

I recently incorporated a Framemeister into my setup. For the most part, it went without a hitch. I had problems with a few consoles that utilize sync on luma (modded N64, PS1), but once I added a sync stripper between those systems and the Framemeister, the issues went away.

I am still seeing what appears to be sync problems with my CPS-1 and CPS-2 boards. These boards are connected to a SuperGun that sends an RGB signal (with optional sync stripper - it didn't seem to matter) to the Framemeister. With Sync Mode set to 'Auto', I see no signal whatsoever. When set to 'Off', the screen rolls and looks scrambled. Other boards I've tested work fine. Particularly strange, but the 90's Midway boards that utilize a refresh rate of 53Hz work fine (NBA Jam, MK2, UMK3). I was expecting these and not the Capcom boards to be problematic.

I've read in a handful of places that people seem to have no issues with CPS games connected to a Framemeister. I've separately read that the RGB levels coming from JAMMA can be too high. I don't see how this would affect sync though.

Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for your time!

Last edited by strygo on Sun May 21, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Capcom CPS + Framemeister Sync Issue
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:05 pm 

So I've continued to research this topic and it does appear that this is related to my sending raw RGBS signals from the SuperGun to the Framemeister. Introducing resistors to the various signals seems to be the fix, however, I am finding conflicting information.

Most commonly, I see folks mentioning that a 220 mF capacitor followed by a 75ohm resistor should be placed on the R, G, and B signals. Similar to this diagram for the Sega Genesis model 2. However, since I am experiencing a sync issue, it seems like I should be modifying the sync signal as well.

I found an alternate approach that adds a 150ohm resistor to the R, G, B, and S signals. Shown here:

Can any experts point me in the right direction? Thanks for your help!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:03 pm 

In discussing this issue with James of JNX, he reminded me the JROK converter in the SuperGun should be reducing the RGB levels. I was able to successfully confirm that adjusting the potentiometers on the JROK do affect the RGB levels. However, no adjustments I made had any impact on the sync problem. Trying the extremes within the Framemeister's sync settings also have no effect.

It is worth noting that I wired up the 9 pin din pinout on the SuperGun that I connect via Retro Console Accessory's 9 pin din to SCART cable. I used the pinout below, but realize now that I didn't connect the 5V pin. Could this affect things? (It doesn't in my RGB-YUV converter I use for my CRT.)

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:16 pm 

For reference, this is the problem I'm seeing:

https://youtu.be/pRtyhP2cuqA

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: RESOLVED: Capcom CPS + Framemeister Sync Issue
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:34 pm 

With James's help, I was able to track down my problem. My SuperGun contains a JROK Sync Cleaner - once I removed that from the signal path, my Framemeister sync problem was resolved.

Other boards may be adversely affected, but I'm hoping that since I have a sync stripper in the SCART cable I use, I won't need to introduce a toggle switch.

I'm not sure why the JROK sync cleaner could be introducing a problem and further why it is specific to the Framemeister and not my CRTs.

Now for some X-Men vs. Street Fighter. :D

Offline Profile