shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:28 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: VGA/5BNC-5BNC Extron VS others: cable quality difference?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:11 pm 

I'm looking to buy a large amount of VGA-5BNC and 5BNC-5BNC cables. Has anybody ever made any comparison to see if there's any difference in quality amongst different brands?

Almost all cables I'm looking to buy are 90cm / 180cm / 300cm max.

In the past I've been trying to buy Extron cables, and I now found a webshop that sells Kramer ones, which also seem to be pretty good. The only problem is the price; each cable costs around 30 euros, and I calculated that I need about 25 of them... I can easily find non-branded cables for about 5 to 10 euros, which would save me a lot of money. The only question is; will the quality be the same?

Thanks in advance!
Kendjet

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: VGA/5BNC-5BNC Extron VS others: cable quality difference
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 pm 

Fck branding ... but yes quality can vary greatly for the vga cable in particular...buying the odd expensive cable is a good way to avoid disappointment. BUT you're essentially up paying through the nose just for a reasonable guarantee you'll avoid a poor cable ... whereas in all liklihood you can get pretty much the same thing far cheaper as long as you're not unlucky.

With so many to buy I'd be tempted to simply find a cheap supplier, buy one, test, maybe even tear it apart to check it has shielding, if all is good, immediately buy your extras.

5 BNC <> 5bnc cables being distinct lines there's less chance of cross talk/interference simply by each line being separated (which along with durability/troubleshooting/replacement is one of the reasons why so much pro equipment opted for this kind of connection in analogue equipment - as opposed to the consumer friendly single plug options). Now, you always get what you pay for but I imagine you'd be fine with minimal shielding. Plus bear in mind you can always get rca phonos and rca<->bnc adapters ... which should greatly widen your cabling options here...

Think speaker cables - it's essentially the same thing being analogue - unless you're an audio freak there's no need for audiophile levels of insulation, but at the same time don't use bog standard electrical wire. :)

Last edited by gray117 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: VGA/5BNC-5BNC Extron VS others: cable quality difference
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:55 pm 

I have some pretty thick, sturdy BNC cables I need to sell. Bought in a big lot and have way more than I need. Most are 2m, a few are 1m long. I have a thread for them in the trade section, will look for it later.

Offline Profile