Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:50 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Sony BVM 14F5E Shaking image
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:55 am 

Hello everyone! :)

Recently I've bought a Sony BVM 14F5E. I realy like the monitor. It has good geometry and convergance, but it has some issues. I noticed a slight vertical shake. Its not very big, I think less than one scanline, but it's quite annoying. When there is no signal on the monitor, and I turn on the on screen menu, the letters are streched, and the shaking increases a lot. I've tried to change all the settings with no effect. Does anyone know a solution for this issue?

The monitor has over 70k hours, 1xBKM-D20, 1x BKM-D21, 1x analog RGB, and 1x analog component imput cards instaleed.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sony BVM 14F5E Shaking image
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:15 pm 

It could be failing caps or maybe an issue with the console's sync signal. What systems have you connected to it and was it a direct connection? (Not through a switch.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 pm 

I don't think it is a SYNC issue.

I have a PS1 connected directly to the BVM using a RGB cable, and SCART->BNC adaptor from retrogamingcables. No switchers. I tried difirent RGB cables, and a PS2 with no effect. I don't have the 75 ohm terminators yet, but i connected the BVM to my PVM 20L2 wich has automatic termination with BNC cables. The image on the PVM is still as a rock, but there is always a noticeble shake on the BVM. Even when there is no signal it's still there.

I found a topic on this site, started by Carthik describing the same issue, but on the 20E1U (I didn't see it when I posted mine). He even recorded a video showing the problem. Here's the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBIfJfV ... e=youtu.be

The thing is, this is exactly the same Issue I'm having. Do anyone know what could be the cause of this kind of shaking? And is there a way to fix this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 am 

Well, you need terminators with the BVMs. This isn't a PVM.

Try some other consoles with RGBS to be sure. The PS1 uses sync on composite and so does the PS2. That could be causing the problem.

Aside from that, you can recap it. It does have 70k hours clocked, so that could be the issue. If you decide to do that make sure you know how to remove SMCs and get high quality replacement capacitors rated for 105C.

Good luck

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 am 

I tried the component connection with PS2, and no effect.

So, You say that a recap will help? Did anyone had a similar problem, and found a solution for it? Like swapping the deflection board or something. I would like to have a better idea what's going on, before I will try to do a recap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 am 

Most of the time when people swap the boards it's just to get a board with capacitors that are in better shape.

A lot of the issues with these monitors are caused by bad caps. There is no guarantee that is the issue but it's my best bet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 pm 

I tried swapping the deflection board from another BVM that my friend has, and everything was ok. There was no shaking and the image was still as it should be. So, now I know the problem is somewhere on the deflection board. I'll try to find someone who could recap the board for me and hope that will fix this shaking issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:59 am 

I had the exact same problem with my deflection board. It turns out that there is something seriously wrong with the small surface mount capacitors (the little round silver ones without the legs that go through the board). Literally all of them were leaking and had a high ESR when I measured it with my LCR meter.

There was also a large hacked on capacitor (1000uF) on the stand-up daughter board. That was bad too.

After swapping them with new ones, everything worked great - rock solid!

...but now I wonder if the other boards have the same caps that need replacement...

Offline Profile