shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:30 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: OSSC compatibility X68000 & Vga Switch for Japanese Computer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:14 am 

Location: English is not my native language, sorry about any grammar mistakes.
Two questions:

1)Has anyone tried the OSSC with x68000 (compatibilty with 24 khz)?
I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXouxncVu6w

But it was too short and he didn't show "the screen-mode transitions between 15khz/24/31kz ( for example Bubble Bobble has this in the config). and how a 24khz game looks".

2)Maybe a year ago I spotted on Yahoo Japan a vga switch with the VGA Japanese RGB-15 Connector (different from ours).
Is it difficult to find another one? Because I'd like to hook up to my Nec tri sync monitor (PC-TD151) my x68000 and Fm Towns at the same time (hope that superdeadite will read this :D ).

Last edited by bateman82 on Wed May 10, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: OSSC compatibility X6800 & Vga Switch for Japanese Compu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:44 am 

Uh, the screen mode transitions and how 24khz (either natively or linedoubled) looks will be dependent on your display.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 pm 

I know basically nothing about the OSSC, don't have a need for one.

Not many games use 24khz on X68K, but the ones that do are 24khz native and look best that way.

As an X68000 owner, my biggest questions about the OSSC would be:
1. How fast can it switch between resolution changes? Galseed 2 for example uses 15khz during gameplay, but uses 31khz for menus and transition screens. Meaning the game is constantly going back and forth between the two. The Framemeister is too slow for this, but the XPC-4 can handle it properly.
2. What about interlaced video? Again rare, but Code Zero, Syvalion, and a few others actually do use 480i. Syvalion use 240p for gameplay and 480i for menu screens, and considering the stages are less then a minute long, you are switching quite often.

For a VGA switch box, I use a Selecty15. Other generic switchers exist, but quality varies. Note, you can easily get D-SUB15 (Sharp/NEC/Towns) to HD-SUB15 (VGA) adapters brand new on amazon.jp. Sanwa Supply still makes them.

Be careful with Towns though! Old Towns machines output in RGBS, while later units like the Fresh series output in RGBHV. Old Towns and Sharp/NEC use different wiring even thought the connectors are the same. If you have an older towns, adding a Towns Video Card will give you RGBHV and compatibility with Sharp/NEC standard though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:06 pm 

Thank you for your fast answer SuperDeadite, you and Fudoh are my "guide" since the beginning, it's a honor!

From the bottom to the top:

-I've got a Fm Towns (the Pentium one) so I think there will be no issues with my Nec tri sync monitor (PC-TD151) and even with the Selecty15 (thanks a lot for the tip, I will search one on Yahoo Japan, what about the price?).
Fot the Fm Towns I've got only:

Loom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Genocide Squared
Operation Wolf (no spinecard, right?)

That runs fine straight into my bigger Lacie Electron Blue 22 (via D-SUB15 to HD-SUB15 cable bundled with Xpc-4), so I presume that they all output 480p natively, is that correct?

I'd like to buy, sooner or later:

Tatsujin-Oh
Raiden Densetsu
Super Shooting Towns
Rayxanber
Splatterhouse
Ultima Trilogy 1-3
Volified
Puzznic
Alltynex - doujin

Do you think that everything will run fine on my HB regarding resolution and cpu too fast?

-- I've got pretty the same about the Ossc, but unlucky the video I posted in the first post (Todd's Nerd Cave) it's too short.

Maybe we can have more news from him with a new video or someone else here that has both the Ossc and a x68000 can aswer.

I'd love to have an alternative to my Xpc-4.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 pm 

Resolution changes can vary in speed depending on the monitor, video source, and scaling mode. On the monitors I have here, they generally re-sync within a second or two. Its definitely faster then the Framemeister from what I've seen in other's videos.

OP, its likely best to build adapter cables to a standard VGA HD15. Luckily the FM Towns and X68000 use a common DB-15 port.

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id= ... ese_rgb-15

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:57 pm 

Adapters and adapter cables are easy to buy. Really no point in making your own cables unless you enjoy the work or have the parts sitting around.

I have never used the Pentium Towns. Towns systems will upscale games if they output in an unsupported resolution. Turbo Outrun only runs in 15khz, when played on a stock Fresh, it is forced into 31khz by running the game in a big black border. However, adding a video card restored the 15khz so it runs like it should.

Older Towns games can be a bit bitchy. Shadow of the Beast II will refuse to boot on any system with more then 4mbs of RAM installed. The Pentium Towns is really overkill for games, unless you really want to install Win'95 on it.

I really can't predict how stuff will run on hardware I have never used. As long as you know what your systems do, just make safe choices and you shouldn't break anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 am 

Thank you for your reply, SuperDeadite, interesting & informative as ever.

I've got a pair of questions:

1)You wrote about "a video card restored the 15khz", I'm posting here the pics of my HB (both front and retro) and I'm only sure that there is a Midi Card, what about the other cards? Is there the video card you've mentioned?
Spoiler: show

2)When I turn on the system without any game the HB is struck in a loading screen. Is it because I didn't have an hard drive to boot?

Here's the pic of the internal (I hope it helps):

As you can see, not in the best condition :(

Here's the boot without a game (struck in loading screen):

Here's the boot screen with a game:

3)Today I've found that the spindle of the Cd-rom is "melting" leaving black traces on the games:

Do you know if is there any solution to this issue?

NJRoadfan wrote:
Resolution changes can vary in speed depending on the monitor, video source, and scaling mode. On the monitors I have here, they generally re-sync within a second or two. Its definitely faster then the Framemeister from what I've seen in other's videos.

Thanks for your reply but I need someone that has both the Ossc and a X68000 to solve this:
bateman82 wrote:

I saw this video:

But it was too short and he didn't show "the screen-mode transitions between 15khz/24/31kz ( for example Bubble Bobble has this in the config). and how a 24khz game looks".

and this:

SuperDeadite wrote:
2. What about interlaced video? Again rare, but Code Zero, Syvalion, and a few others actually do use 480i. Syvalion use 240p for gameplay and 480i for menu screens, and considering the stages are less then a minute long, you are switching quite often.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:39 am 

A resolution change is a resolution change, how quickly and nicely it's handled is dependent on your monitor. It's usually irrelevant which resolution it's changing from or to (240p, 384p, 480i), but if it's relevant that's also specific to your monitor.

24khz is (optionally) linedoubled to 1024x768. 1024x768 is 1024x768. Unless you have a 1024x768 native monitor how that looks will very heavily be dependent on your monitor's scaling algorithm.

There is no magic in the X68000 that changes these facts. If you want to know accurately how the OSSC+X68000 combo will perform you need to find someone with the same monitor as you. Not someone with an X68000 and a different monitor.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:56 am 

Yes you have a Towns Video card installed, it's what your monitor cable is attached to lol.
So 15khz games should run in actual 15khz.

Can't really tell from your pic if you have an HDD installed or not. Quite sure all the Pentium machines came with them though, as Windows '95 was the only reason for their existence.

Based on the message you have, I would guess you do have an HDD installed, but it is unreadable so the system is giving you the error message.

Towns machines actually store HDD format/partition data in the SRAM. Once the battery goes, so does your HDD. You have to change the battery, then reformat and install TownsOS from scratch. Most users install dual battery holders so you can change the battery freely every 5 years or so.

The CD spindle is a common issue with these drives. Mine is the same, not much can be done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:00 pm 

ZellSF wrote:
Unless you have a 1024x768 native monitor how that looks will very heavily be dependent on your monitor's scaling algorithm.

I will use the same crt monitor that you can see in the pictures (lacie electron Blue IV), so no scaling.

I appreciate your point of view "it will work, no magic in x68000", but my request was "experience with the real hardware".

SuperDeadite wrote:
Can't really tell from your pic if you have an HDD installed or not. Quite sure all the Pentium machines came with them though, as Windows '95 was the only reason for their existence.

Based on the message you have, I would guess you do have an HDD installed, but it is unreadable so the system is giving you the error message.

Towns machines actually store HDD format/partition data in the SRAM. Once the battery goes, so does your HDD. You have to change the battery, then reformat and install TownsOS from scratch. Most users install dual battery holders so you can change the battery freely every 5 years or so.

Thanks a lot! Do you know where is the battery located?

If I replaced the battery, would there be any chance that HDD will work without a format or a new TownsOs installation?

SuperDeadite wrote:
The CD spindle is a common issue with these drives. Mine is the same, not much can be done.

Do you think it could be possible to replace the spindle without damaging it?
Because, as you know, some Fm Towns games (especially my beloved Lucas Adventures) are really expensive and I'm afraid to ruin them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:48 am 

The instant the battery goes, so does your hdd.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:39 am 

I've found this guide online:

http://retrostuff.org/2016/10/11/fm-towns-ii-fresh・e-battery-replacement/

do you think that I have to solder something or is it just like the (for example) replace Saturn battery?

If you had replaced the battery of your fm towns can you please write me the serial number (or a link)?

SuperDeadite wrote:
For a VGA switch box, I use a Selecty15. Other generic switchers exist, but quality varies. Note, you can easily get D-SUB15 (Sharp/NEC/Towns) to HD-SUB15 (VGA) adapters brand new on amazon.jp. Sanwa Supply still makes them.

I've searched for the Selecty15 quite a lot, browsing yahoo auction etc... but it seems really hard to find. Do you remember where you bought it?

I've searched in the Micomsoft website for an alternative and, in the discontinued product page, I've found the XVGA-2 (Multi Scan Converter?).

But I can't find any news or pics about that devices, nothing.

Do you know if there is an alternative (made by Micomsoft) to the Selecty15?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:25 pm 

Selecty15 hasn't been made in like 15 years or so. I actually bought mine from Amazon JP, but this was years ago. They show up on yahoo every few months though and don't sell for a whole lot, there just isn't a lot of demand. I actually have a Selecty21 linked to my Selecty15 so I can use everything on my Arcade monitor.

On my Fresh, I just cut out the old battery, then soldered wires to the solder points and mounted my twin battery holder on the side of the hdd case to make it easier to change.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: OSSC compatibility X68000 & Vga Switch for Japanese Comp
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:02 pm 

Thanks a lot SuperDeadite, informative as always.

As soon as I have some free time, I will open my Fm Towns and try to replace the battery.

Two last questions:

What operating system do you suggest to install (with the new battery)? TownsOs or Windows (maybe compatibilty issues)?

I like to have all my software original, what version should I buy?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:25 pm 

TownsOS 2.1 L50 is all you need. Windows is pointless and a pain to install.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:17 am 

Nothing on Yahoo Auction,

Found this on Suruga-ya:

http://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/127000806001

And it's l20, not l50.

Never tought it could be so expensive. Maybe is it better to wait on Yahoo?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:49 am 

L50 is the final version, so it's the most sought after. You can always just burn a cd-r of it. Once it's installed to the HDD, you don't really need it anymore.

I actually have L30 installed on my machine, and everything works fine though. Even really late games like Strike Commander and Sim City 2000 run fine on it. I have seen some games that do require L20 minimum though.

If you do install Windows, you can run any pure windows software. So a game that runs in Windows and doesn't use anything in DOS will run. There is even direct-x for FM Towns. But, you are just running standard Windows games, so rather pointless these days. Also a real pain to install, as you must first install FM-Towns DOS off of floppies, then install Windows. 3.11 will happily coexist with TownsOS, but Windows 95 tends to take over the system breaking all the TownsOS games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:39 pm 

Hi guys!

That's my video and channel.

I plan to do a follow up video to this one showcasing the difference between how it handles 15/24 and 31khz from the x68000.

But, in a nutshell, I have found that most games keep the correct aspect ratio when choosing 31khz. 15Khz sometimes the aspect ratio is slightly off. But that depends on the game as some have multiple 15khz options. Also 24khz seems to be stretched vertically a bit. Using the OSSC options menu you can of course adjust and correct most all of this. But with the default OSSC settings, 31Khz usually comes out the best.

But as far as changing screen modes goes, it's pretty much instantaneous.

Sorry for not seeing this thread earlier. I'll try to post a follow up video soon.

bateman82 wrote:
Two questions:

I saw this video:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:20 pm 

which Dell display model are you using in your X68k video ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:36 pm 

P2414H

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:16 am 

Setup;
x68000 XVI +jpRGB2VGA cable + OSSC + DVI + BenQ 902

Working great, only 1-2% of the lower screen go offscreen.

The x68k does not like VGA switch boxes, most result in black screens :-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:41 am 

are there any x68k video splitters? if you'd like to have one into your framemeister/ossc and the other into your monitor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:03 am 

The X68K works fine on the Selecty15.
As for video splitting, the XPC-4 does this. If you are using the D-Terminal/S-Video/Composite output, the analog output works as a pass-through.
It's how I do my captures, the pass-through to my CRT, and the D-Terminal to the capture card.

And nothing will ever replace a CRT. Playing Dracula with the stereoscopic 3D patch is the ultimate show-piece for the system imo.

Offline Profile