* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Sony BVM-20F1E buzzing noise/hot deflection module heat sink
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 pm 

Hi guys,

I received a Sony BVM-20F1E earlier today and need some help:

The monitor emits a quite loud buzzing noise, it immediately struck me when I first powered it on.
I let it run for about an hour now and the buzzing noise is still here, doesn't seem to go away.
I think I won't hear it that much while playing games (except during loading times) but I'm still worried about it.
I made some research about the noise but found mixed opinions, in my case the sound itself isn't really suspicious but I find it loud...
I have owned many CRTs over the years and I've never had a CRT that loud.
Here is a short sample of the noise (hard to pick up with my crappy camera but it really is loud to me):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQH6WLA3C3s
The noise isn't always that stable/consistent, sometimes there are patterns and it gets "faster" like a bomb that's gonna explode, then eventually slows down.
I'm not sure but I think the sound is coming from deflection or power supply boards.

Another thing I'm worried about is that the deflection module's heat sink is really hot (it took only a few minutes to get hot).
Is that normal? My Ikegami never gets hot and is dead silent...

The BVM has around 29k hours of operating time.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Hopefully nothing's wrong!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sony BVM-20F1E buzzing noise/hot deflection module heat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:16 am 

That does sound scary. But then I remembered my PC monitor makes a similar noise. It's not very loud and it has been doing it since day 1 (it is 11 years old now). But the noise is constant. My BVM does not produce such a sound.

About the deflection board, yes it does get warm, but not warm enough that you would burn your fingers if you touch it. If yours gets really hot I would be concerned.

Did you edit your post? There was more text yesterday. I guess you have figured out the other things you were writing about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:42 pm 

Thanks for the reply,

I've contacted an ex-Sony tech who's selling replacement parts on eBay in the meantime (savon-pat) and he told me that the deflection board may need some parts replaced.
He also said I had to wait for my BKM10R to arrive and that I should "re-set" the modules (not sure if he was referring to settings or if he meant actually re-seating the cards but I already tried the latter with no success).

Yes I edited my post: In fact I don't have the BKM10R remote yet, it should be here soon. I couldn't get my consoles to work although the seller said he would set the input to RGB so I could test the monitor without the remote when it arrives.
I tried to unplug the BKM21D in the hopes the monitor would set back to RGB but no luck. Then I hooked up my consoles to the BKM21D card with a composite cable and an RCA/BNC adapter and it worked (impressive picture quality for composite :shock:) so I deleted the part from my original message about this.

My two remaining concerns are the buzzing noise and the fact that the heat sink does get hot. Not boiling hot, but pretty hot. Plus it gets that hot in only a few minutes after I power it on even if I'm not playing but then again maybe that's absolutely normal.
When there is no signal there's two shimmering horizontal lines on the display (one at the top and one at the bottom) and the buzzing sound is closely linked to what is on the screen, it gets crazy when the lines move faster and vice versa. (I mean the sound patterns get faster, it doesn't get louder). You can hear it in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yExye0CGsM

It seems to stabilize when I input a composite signal (like on the clip from my original post) but it's still as annoyingly loud. I think the sound comes from the "PA" board:
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/948936IMG1340.jpg
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/952504IMG13451.jpg
Could also be the yellow transformer but I think it's rather the coil, it's hard to tell.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I receive my BKM10R to finally use RGB and see if it gets any better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm 

hmm ... the heat sink ... i'm inclined to think normal.

The noise being the p4 coil seems a bit more likely.
...Unfortunately the transformer maybe a similar case - since it'll also be a coil just all sealed up!

But here's the thing - transformer noise will likely only change (if at all) the longer the unit is on.
The coil on the p4 board changing pitch depending on input etc. seems more likely...

... As for fixing it. *IF* it is 'coil whine' then replacing parts might just be pot luck - might be better, miht be the same. Otherwise what you're looking to do is minimise tiny little vibrations that are occurring to make the noise. Give it a google... pretty sure someone else on these boards was going to try nail varnish and/or some kind of sealant to try and firm up/buffer a coil...

Either way as long as the noise isn't a capacitor about to blow or a transformer actually failing, then there may well not be anything 'wrong', just annoying :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:32 pm 

Thanks for the input,

According to the ex-Sony tech it's likely to be a "bad transformer" on the PA board that's causing the buzzing sound.
He said it was still safe to use the monitor so I guess it's just annoying like you suggested.

If everything's OK after further testing when I get the remote (from what I've seen so far in composite it looked alright) I'll just try and seal things up/insulate the cabinet with foam or something until I get a replacement PA board.

edit: I just had another look at the board, pushing down on the black pastic part that surrounds the coil was enough to stop the buzz completely :D The buzz is quieter now too, almost bearable. I feel so relieved right now! Hope I can fix this with sealants.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 pm 

kukrapok wrote:
Thanks for the input,
edit: I just had another look at the board, pushing down on the black pastic part that surrounds the coil was enough to stop the buzz completely :D The buzz is quieter now too, almost bearable. I feel so relieved right now! Hope I can fix this with sealants.

Cool ... something thin that'll get into the cracks and will help hold it against vibration...

kukrapok wrote:
If everything's OK after further testing when I get the remote (from what I've seen so far in composite it looked alright) I'll just try and seal things up/insulate the cabinet with foam or something until I get a replacement PA board.

^ Probably not this - excessive heat build up likely.

Offline Profile