Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:56 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Replacing SRAM chips - help needed
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 am 

Hi all

So recently I've been experimenting with ways to eliminate the need for batteries on various hardware that uses them to keep save games. I first had the idea when I opened up an N64 Controller Pak, and to my surprise, rather than flash memory used by the PlayStation, Nintendo opted for a volatile SRAM chip with a battery to keep data intact. Now, it being the future, I wanted to know if there existed a way to replace that chip for something non volatile, and eliminate the battery altogether. As it turns out, the SRAM chips used on those memory cards, are usually something akin to the LH52256 - a 256kb chip, and to my surprise, there exists a completely pin compatible 256kb non volatile FRAM chip, designed as a drop-in replacement - the FM18W08. This actually works like a charm, and that memory card no longer requires a battery. So after this, I wondered about other things that use volatile SRAM and a battery, so I cracked open a couple of my SNES cartridges, Super Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island to be precise, and lo and behold, both of these games also use some variant of the LH52256. Naturally, I swapped these chips out and inserted an FM18W08 in their place, expecting similar results, however, sadly this was not the case. I have read on this guy's blog that he has had success when doing something similar with other SNES games, albeit with lower capacity chips, but with 256kb FRAM chips, both Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG crash on startup and do not run.

Anyway, after all that, does anyone have any ideas about how I might be able to get this working? Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Replacing SRAM chips - help needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:43 pm 

I recently found this place. I haven't replace any of my stuff yet but it seems promising for what you are trying to do.

http://www.customretrostuff.com/games-- ... for-snes-/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 am 

Yeah, that's actually the blog I linked to in my original post :lol:

Whilst his information is good, he doesn't seem to include specific information for 256kb chips, and that's where I'm having the issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:11 pm 

Ahh my bad I didn't see the link before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:27 am 

CR2032 are cheap - After 25 years many are still working in NES carts. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:15 am 

Because I want a more permanent solution. And because I can.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 pm 

Xaranar wrote:
Because I want a more permanent solution. And because I can.

I lost track of how many CR2032's I replaced at this point. I buy the battery holders in packs of 100, and given how often I order them I would guess a bit north of 3000. I've never had an issue.

But if you still want to persuit a complete replacement, I'd make sure the IC's are rated for 5V operation and are 150ns or faster.

Make sure also the inplimentation is not like what they did with CDi where a watch battery is actually embedded in the substrate! Fun times getting that out for replacement.

Offline Profile