Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 7:35 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Sony PVM-20M2MDU
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:13 pm 

Hey guys,

I just bought the above monitor on eBay- I have all the necessary cables to hook this up, but I need some guidance on what to look for when I receive it, since I know things can get damaged in shipping pretty easily. I'm not sure where to begin in assessing the condition of it- it's an October 2002 manufacture date, but I don't know how many hours it's been used- the seller listed the condition as "refurbished" and said it was "cleaned and tested."

Also, to what extent should I calibrate it? I'm not sure where to begin in making sure that it's set up correctly. My first use for it will be playing Gamecube games over S-video- and maybe Gamecube games on Wii over component.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sony PVM-20M2MDU
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:36 pm 

Just plug in one of the consoles and fire it up first. Don't worry about calibrating it before you see what the picture looks like. Also, if you plan to play multiple consoles (I have 7, myself) be aware that they all output differently and getting a perfectly centered and sized picture on one might result in an off center or over/undersized picture on another. Also, different games within the same system can have a different picture output so it will take some time adjusting for the best overall settings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:47 pm 

I just picked up one of these as well. I was wondering what's the difference between the 20M2M and 20M2MD?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:14 am 

Check out this list, it may be helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/wiki/speclist

Edit: Full disclosure, I posted this in the CRT thread as well, but:

Wondering if someone can help with something I've noticed with my recently-arrived PVM-20M2MDU. I've so far only tested with S-Video using Gamecube in 480i. The very top and bottom edges of the picture, and this is especially noticeable with a white color, will sort of very slightly move up and down. Here is a video for a look: https://vid.me/YLx6

Quality is not great, but you can see that there is a white part of the image in the upper left, at the top edge, where it seems there is either a "shake" or the white edge "moves up and down" very rapidly. It's possible that this happens in the middle of the image and I'm not noticing it.

Sorry if the video is not helpful!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:17 am 

I found this exact model PVM (20m2mdu) in the basement at a local hospital. I was working there remodeling and I had to retrace my steps and do a double take. Instantly excited I was. I asked the bio tech maintenance fellow if it was being used since it was tucked away in the basement. He let me have it and also mentioned that the tube was replaced if he wasnt mistaken by a certified tech. Brought it home plugged the power cord it came with of course into an outlet. It worked! So i ordered some rgb bnc to female scart adapter since i had scart cables already. A week later while waiting for my adapter i tested the pvm with a dvd player using svideo cable without the sound cable. The picture looked great...watched it for 20minutes then powered it off. Another week goes by and my adapter arrives and by this time i am ecstatic. I hook up everthing...then my heart drops....NO POWER on the pvm...no sound no picture and no power indicator light...nothing...no static feel on the screen and no degaussing hum. I have taken apart computers and consoles and repaired and cleaned a lot of them but I have never had to fix a TV before especially one that is a hot chassis type. I hope that somebody may be able to help me it is as though my TV died and its soul has been cast off into Oblivion. I do have a multimeter and various other tools but i do not own an isolation transformer...Here is to hoping someone maybe able to help me out since i know next to nothing about PVM/BVM.

Offline Profile