shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:53 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Wolf Edition - Audio over HDMI
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 pm 

Blair wrote:
it can still digitize 720p and above signals (from analog sources). but it's curious on why you would actually need something that scales or line doubles 720p and above content. most consumer televisions and monitors these days do a pretty good job scaling from those resolutions with little to no input lag. could you describe a scenario that isn't covered under normal circumstances?

there are some technical ways to directly tap into the pure digital signal of videogame systems but they're expensive and mostly impractical. (currently the most cost effective option is probably cycle accurate emulation)

Wherever possible I've done that. Jailbroken nt mini for all the systems it covers, modded n64, akura box for my dreamcast (and I'll have that modded when that gets finished), and ordered a gc video x or whatever badassconsoles is calling his plug and play hdmi gamecube mod that is no longer a mod.

As for why I would want a 0 lag linedoubler to do the upscaling and not my 4k display I have several reasons:
1) The near 0 latency of linedoubling is either going to be faster or in the worst case scenario the same speed as my display when it comes to upscaling.
2) The greater control. With the ossc you know exactly what you are changing your resolution to. If you want it bigger than can be displayed that's fine, if you want it smaller that is also fine. And most importantly you prevent pixel rounding and the nightmares that come with it.
3) The ossc also converts so it is just simpler having a single device that solves all my problems.

If I'm going to switch from the framemeister it would need to at least be able to convert everything to digital, let me control the overscan areas (or underscan? size), and at least get every signal to 1080p, preferably with less lag and ideally to 4k. I suppose I could use it to get everything to 720p which would be a direct integer into 4k (unlike 1080p) to avoid pixel rounding but that is still less than ideal.

I think my main reason would have to be that I'm frustrated nothing just does exactly what I want it to without compromising and when it comes to picking out which compromises are better or worse nothing really stands out to me so I'm left with two options that both bother me for different reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:53 pm 

Wolf_ wrote:
akura box for my dreamcast

Well that's another area where the OSSC would be preferable as you get some resolution loss when using the akura (since it incorrectly samples the signal as 640x480 when the Dreamcast's actual output is 720x480, OSSC is one of the few devices in the world that can actually sample the Dreamcast correctly)

Wolf_ wrote:
ordered a gc video x or whatever badassconsoles is calling his plug and play hdmi gamecube mod that is no longer a mod.

There's actually another GC video device (by Zeldaxpro) you might be interested in, it's currently available and being produced unlike whatever's going on with badassconsoles. (https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home/single-post/pnpgc2)

regardless of your display it will always have a minimum latency, some 4K displays will have really bad latency numbers with anything under 4K resolutions so that's something to watch out for. But it seems to be getting better where the displays game mode will have the same minimum input lag across the board. So at that point it doesn't really matter.

since you're already using the frame Meister, I would say that the OSSC still has enough unique strengths to make it worth an investment. especially since any processing done by the frame Meister is still adding an additional two frames or more of input lag on top of whatever the baseline lag is of your current display.

you also have to remember that a lot of game engines these days also have their own internal input lag. for instance call of duty has somewhere around 47ms of input lag well battlefield usually has around 80ms to over 90ms of input lag. and that's already on top of your displays own input lag and any processor you add into the chain. (you could easily achieve a worst-case scenario of over 200ms of input lag in a modern gaming session)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 pm 

Blair wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
akura box for my dreamcast

Well that's another area where the OSSC would be preferable as you get some resolution loss when using the akura (since it incorrectly samples the signal as 640x480 when the Dreamcast's actual output is 720x480, OSSC is one of the few devices in the world that can actually sample the Dreamcast correctly)

Wolf_ wrote:
ordered a gc video x or whatever badassconsoles is calling his plug and play hdmi gamecube mod that is no longer a mod.

There's actually another GC video device you might be interested in, it's currently available and being produced unlike whatever's going on with badassconsoles.

Well regardless of your display it will always have a minimum latency, some 4K displays will have really bad latency numbers with anything under 4K resolutions so that's something to watch out for. But it seems to be getting better where the displays game mode will have the same minimum input lag across the board. So at that point it doesn't really matter.

since you're already using the frame Meister, I would say that the OSSC still has enough unique strengths to make it worth an investment. especially since any processing done by the frame Meister is still adding additional two frames of lag on top of whatever the baseline lag is of your current display.

My display is a 40" wasabi mango so it adds near zero lag but I still don't want to deal with the headaches of having it upscale things incorrectly. And 2 frames of lag is the choice I've made to deal with. I prefer this over near 0 from the ossc because 2 frames of lag is a constant slight annoyance and the ossc just flat out doesn't work with some stuff, like accepting audio (until just recently), synch standardization so displays will accept the hdmi signal, working with 720p and 1080i content, working with content that's already hdmi (without degrading the content into analogue video), ect.

Basically the xrgb mini has one small problem that constantly annoys me and the ossc has many issues that either work or do not work so when I decided what to invest in I went with the thing that would at least function. Not to mention the xrgb mini was currently in stock vs the ossc which I wouldn't be able to get for about 6 months if I wanted it.

I think v2 will be polished enough that it will be worth picking up though. I'll just have to fight my way through everyone that wants an ossc but hasn't been able to get it yet, as well as everyone that wants to upgrade...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:19 pm 

fair enough, although since it's a 4K display (correct me if I'm wrong) it's still upscaling the 1080p frame Meister signal to 4K. so your display still has to do some of the work. (do you know what type of upscaling technique it uses?). also, aren't those things just basically big PC monitors? sounds like something that would have good luck with the OSSC. (a lot of my devices have better compatibility now since the most recent firmware upgrade)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:36 pm 

Blair wrote:
fair enough, although since it's a 4K display (correct me if I'm wrong) it's still upscaling the 1080p frame Meister signal to 4K. so your display still has to do some of the work. (do you know what type of upscaling technique it uses?). also, aren't those things just basically big PC monitors? sounds like something that would have good luck with the OSSC. (a lot of my devices have better compatibility now since the most recent firmware upgrade)

I'm of the belief that having two screens because one is a "tv" and one is a "monitor" is just marketing to sell more displays. Might as well just have a large monitor because it is the more accepting of the two. And yea I've been thinking about switching to the 720p profiles so that it upscales directly into 4k and won't have pixel rounding. The ossc would work with a lot of stuff but it flat out wouldn't do a thing with my cdi player and I spent a small fortune on zelda and mario games so by god I intend to pretend I may one day play them.

I'm also reworking my audio setup to go directly to an av receiver so that isn't an issue anymore.

But the main reason I didn't get an ossc to start with (other than that I couldn't if I freaking wanted to) was that with all these problems it just felt like an unfinished product to me and I would rather be playing games than dealing with getting them to work. I'll wait for the next generation (or ossc wolf) and hope it smooths out some of the issues of the first.

Anyways I think we've sorta derailed the topic a bit at this stage.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10