shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Consumer CRT hunting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 pm 

Commodore 1084 nothing special? Jeez, way to slam down a solid monitor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 pm 

Tuned my Sony FV300 for an S-Video signal. Eh, not too bad!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:48 pm 

for s-video, that looks pretty good!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:51 pm 

People forget that S-Video will get you like 75%+ the quality of RGB, with the luma channel being of similar quality to RGB or YPbPr, and the chroma being a huge step up over composite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 pm 

I think this set is excellent aside from 1 thing : there's no way to fine tune the reds.

Outside of the option to adjust the drive and cut for each colour, there's an additional option called "drive offset" and "cut offset" for both greens and blues, but not for red. (I indeed needed to tweak these to get the light blues, light greens, dark blues and dark greens the right amount of presence).

And it's really a shame, because if it was there I would be able to give the set an additional, very noticeable boost in colour fidelity.
There's a flaw that's absent on those two pics, because that colour is not present in the raster : light reds are lifeless. Ken's red gui looks so damn flat on this set... It's truly disappointing, especially when everything else looks so good.

Outside of that the set looks great though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:40 am 

I assume drive and cut are your high and low color calibration settings. Normally you leave green alone while tweaking red and blue. Maybe they intentionally set it to red for production reasons?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 am 

Guspaz wrote:
People forget that S-Video will get you like 75%+ the quality of RGB, with the luma channel being of similar quality to RGB or YPbPr, and the chroma being a huge step up over composite.

Yeah. The jump from Composite to S-Video is by far the largest step up in quality. RF is bottom tier, Composite is low tier, S-Video is mid-tier, YPbPr/RGB is high tier, and VGA/HDMI is top tier.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 am 

NJRoadfan wrote:
The one advantage it has is that its extremely common and easy to find.

I don't know where you live...oh wait, New Jersey (I'm assuming ;) ...same area as me! Commodore monitors are pretty hard to find lately in my experience. I've found well over 30 PVM's in the same time span I was looking for a 1084S, and I found one single Commodore 1084S just last week (which I bought).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 am 

Einzelherz wrote:
I assume drive and cut are your high and low color calibration settings. Normally you leave green alone while tweaking red and blue. Maybe they intentionally set it to red for production reasons?

yes drive is high colour and cut is low colour

I don't know why exactly but the drive and cut offsets settings seem to work a bit differently than the standard drive and cut controls. I really need to tweak the offsets to get great greens and blues, the standard drive and cut settings won't cut it (pun intended) on their own

Not that I roll with the red push OFF. If you leave it on, the lighter reds can get good levels but then all the other reds end up way too saturated

Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:07 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
I don't know where you live...oh wait, New Jersey (I'm assuming ;) ...same area as me! Commodore monitors are pretty hard to find lately in my experience. I've found well over 30 PVM's in the same time span I was looking for a 1084S, and I found one single Commodore 1084S just last week (which I bought).

Nice Dochartaigh! Hopefully you will post some pics :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:32 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:

I'm not surprised, the thrifts around here have been dry with computer equipment for a while now, not a single CRT in sight. Not everyone has the same experience with the 1084 since about a dozen monitors had the same model number with various CRTs installed. It was also sold with the Philips and Magnavox branding as well. I used to work at a place that had a ton of the Magnavox CM80s laying around for video output test purposes. They were extremely repair prone (power switches and fly backs always went on them) and the picture wasn't exactly vibrant. Yes, it was sharp, but the colors were lacking. Sony's smaller PVMs and the period correct KV-1311CR were all around better monitors.

An honorable mention goes out to the AppleColor RGB A2M6014 for vibrant color, but lacking in sharpness. It was made by Mitsubishi for Apple. The difference is quite noticeable when placed next to my NEC Multisync II.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:00 am 

Those pics look great FinalBaton. S-video is really mostly spot on on these sets. I only use component for the later consoles like Gamecube, PS2 and Neo Geo. S-video is great for everything else imo, and looks even better than rgb for snes genesis etc on consumer crt's, but that might just be my personal preference.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 pm 

NJRoadfan wrote:
I'm not surprised, the thrifts around here have been dry with computer equipment for a while now, not a single CRT in sight.

The sad thing is they might be turning those kind of donations away. Recently I've been donating some spare CRTs to clear up space. I called many thrift stores and only two would take CRT tv sets, with one of them having a max limit of 27 inches. With monitors, only one will take them. "No one would buy them", "we only take new tvs and monitors" etc...etc...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
The sad thing is they might be turning those kind of donations away. Recently I've been donating some spare CRTs to clear up space. I called many thrift stores and only two would take CRT tv sets, with one of them having a max limit of 27 inches. With monitors, only one will take them. "No one would buy them", "we only take new tvs and monitors" etc...etc...

Same by me, nobody will even take them as a donation. Think I've seen 1 single CRT at a thrift store - and I swear it's only there because nobody has bought it (for like $12) in years and years and they just don't feel like having to moving that beast to the dumpster ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:32 pm 

Heh, the week before a buddy had to clear some space (thanks angry wife!) and I happened to be there with my car ^^, so he gave me a 27" Bluesky NRBK70S rgb 50/60Hz consumer set from the 2000's, very generic/low-end but has barely been used,
and a quite common but really good also 2000's Sony KV-21LS30B in very good condition too.

Now I'm the one with too many crts again :mrgreen: : two 27", two 21", two - rather rare - 19"
but the 27" Trinitron has serious geometry and convergence problems despite being under 8000hrs, and one of the 19" is also a Trinitron but with a nearly dead chassis, I think (heavy purple tint and super out of focus)
Might dump the latter two instead of even trying to service and fix them...I know nobody will take them, too much trouble = no value.

Shit, I think my neighbor talked about giving me an old 25" Thomson that's been taking the dust for years (and has a pronounced green tint). *sigh*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:

Same by me, nobody will even take them as a donation. Think I've seen 1 single CRT at a thrift store - and I swear it's only there because nobody has bought it (for like $12) in years and years and they just don't feel like having to moving that beast to the dumpster ;)

Heh. The one here that takes smaller tvs only has had a lot of the same crts for awhile too. Though I have seen some move. I've mostly been donating to the other one. They are a smaller place, so I've been doing one at a time. So far, everything has sold and they've been pretty happy about it. And to be fair it's not like I'm donating pure garbage. Mostly Sony sets, as well as a Tandberg monitor, I don't remember all the models of the Sony sets. Everything in good working order. I've been meaning to take a kv-34hs420 but I've been under the weather and those things are bad enough to lift when I'm at full capacity.

Offline Profile