shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:34 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 743 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:49 pm 



Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 28
I think I quit. I've tried fixing this mod hundreds of times. Completely rewired it, used 3 different RGB boards, used different solder, different flux, different fine pitch adapters, different grounds, tried reflashing, and still I end up with this weird interference, the exact SAME kind of interference every time. I'd like to think that if I was causing a problem by soldering something wrong, I couldn't willingly recreate the same flaw EVERY time without trying, and yet I can. The only variable here that I haven't changed is the N64 itself. So I guess Maybe that's the next step.

At this point I've spent so much time and money on this, I could have just bought a ready-modded one one ebay, although nobody there seems to have the de-blur switch mod done.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:07 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 1795
Location: Kentucky
Did you install the new extra grounding wire that was added to the install guide somewhat recently? Is it possible the interference is from your SCART cable?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:31 pm 



Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 28
I did install the extra grounding, and I have tried 3 different cables.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 1795
Location: Kentucky
What are you using for sync? If it's composite video, have you tried Luma to see if that helps? If your cables don't have extra electronics on the sync line you can also try straight CS75 from the N64RGB board.


Last edited by bobrocks95 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:16 pm 



Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 28
Have tried both of those solutions. I'm using Luma as sync, but I have other cables wired for different sync that I have modified my installation and then tested with. Sync is not the issue, I'm 99.9 percent sure.

I posted a picture of the issue I've been having earlier in the thread. It's a weird interference along the edges of certain colors, most noticeably green. I assumed I had maybe I had crossed something when doing all the wiring, but after doing the mod over with new components multiple times and still getting the same problem, I'm baffled.

I can somewhat fix the issue by placing my thumb over the unused input pads on the RGB board, which led me to believe it was a grounding issue, but even after installing the new ground wire per the instructions, I have the same issue.

I did the NES RGB mod my first try with no issues, but this has just completely stumped me.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2016
Posts: 191
Some pictures of your mod as well as from the interference pattern would be helpful.
_________________
Visit my projekts: GitHub, OSH Park


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:01 pm 



Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
What's up guys? I've installed the N64RGB board on my console yesterday, but I'm getting a picture with a weird artifact that looks like interference.

See video: https://youtu.be/waY7_m_Id6s

Can someone help me?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:33 am 



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 887
Location: Toronto, Canada
Yes. Please send pics.

Also, why do you insist on a deblur switch? The key combo is really easy and instantaneous!

Toggle deblur on/off: D-Pad Right + L + R + C Right
Reset system: A + B + D-Pad Down + D-Pad Right + L + R


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:00 am 



Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 28
I don't insist on a switch, just the function, which means I have to wire in the board. The switch is just easier in terms of wiring. Seeing as how I couldn't get the board itself right, I'm not inviting any more trouble. Might take some pics tomorrow if I'm motivated. I ended up screwing the whole thing back together and just using composite for now.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:28 pm 



Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Hey guys, I have another weird issue with my N64RGB. The image was shifted to the left side of the display.

http://imgur.com/a/3QLJv

Somebody knows how to fix that?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:05 pm 



Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 81
Whatever you do, don't use a cheap chinese PSU.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:23 pm 



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 887
Location: Toronto, Canada
sonicjhn wrote:
Hey guys, I have another weird issue with my N64RGB. The image was shifted to the left side of the display.

http://imgur.com/a/3QLJv

Somebody knows how to fix that?


A shift to the left tends to be scart cable. Switch from sync on luma or composite video sync to csync scart cable and your problem should go away.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:25 pm 



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 887
Location: Toronto, Canada
sonicjhn wrote:
What's up guys? I've installed the N64RGB board on my console yesterday, but I'm getting a picture with a weird artifact that looks like interference.

See video: https://youtu.be/waY7_m_Id6s

Can someone help me?


I'm not familiar with that game so I can't tell if those artifacts occur only on your TV or are a result of the deblur algorithm doing something fishy.

Can you put in a copy of ocarina of time? It's my test cart and know it by heart.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 65
ajdesmarais wrote:
Have tried both of those solutions. I'm using Luma as sync, but I have other cables wired for different sync that I have modified my installation and then tested with. Sync is not the issue, I'm 99.9 percent sure.

Have you tried using the CSYNC output from the N64RGB board (CS75 pad) instead of the Luma/Composite video signals generated by the original N64 DAC?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:58 pm 



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 887
Location: Toronto, Canada
Link83 wrote:
ajdesmarais wrote:
Have tried both of those solutions. I'm using Luma as sync, but I have other cables wired for different sync that I have modified my installation and then tested with. Sync is not the issue, I'm 99.9 percent sure.

Have you tried using the CSYNC output from the N64RGB board (CS75 pad) instead of the Luma/Composite video signals generated by the original N64 DAC?


If using a snes scart cable with your n64rgb, it probably has extra components. Best to wire csync to CS# rather than CS75.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:52 pm 



Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
leonk wrote:
sonicjhn wrote:
Hey guys, I have another weird issue with my N64RGB. The image was shifted to the left side of the display.

http://imgur.com/a/3QLJv

Somebody knows how to fix that?


A shift to the left tends to be scart cable. Switch from sync on luma or composite video sync to csync scart cable and your problem should go away.


I'm using HD Retrovision's SNES Component cable directly into my CRT. It's possible to fix this issue without changing the cable?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:10 am 



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 887
Location: Toronto, Canada
not sure what those sync on. I hope csync.

CRT TVs also have ability to move pic to the right in service menu if this effects all devices on that port.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:58 am 



Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
leonk wrote:
sonicjhn wrote:
What's up guys? I've installed the N64RGB board on my console yesterday, but I'm getting a picture with a weird artifact that looks like interference.

See video: https://youtu.be/waY7_m_Id6s

Can someone help me?


I'm not familiar with that game so I can't tell if those artifacts occur only on your TV or are a result of the deblur algorithm doing something fishy.

Can you put in a copy of ocarina of time? It's my test cart and know it by heart.


Sure! Please check it out: https://youtu.be/-WKBLfSDCH8


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:38 am 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 1795
Location: Kentucky
Anyone know if enabling 15-bit color mode will show flickering pixels like that? Sorry if that possibility has already been eliminated sonicjhn.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:42 am 



Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
bobrocks95 wrote:
Anyone know if enabling 15-bit color mode will show flickering pixels like that? Sorry if that possibility has already been eliminated sonicjhn.


Hi bobrocks95! I haven't tried 15-bit color mode.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:45 am 



Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
leonk wrote:
Link83 wrote:
ajdesmarais wrote:
Have tried both of those solutions. I'm using Luma as sync, but I have other cables wired for different sync that I have modified my installation and then tested with. Sync is not the issue, I'm 99.9 percent sure.

Have you tried using the CSYNC output from the N64RGB board (CS75 pad) instead of the Luma/Composite video signals generated by the original N64 DAC?


If using a snes scart cable with your n64rgb, it probably has extra components. Best to wire csync to CS# rather than CS75.


Hi leonk! Can you tell me what's the difference between CS# and CS75? (Sorry, I'm a newbie)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:03 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 272
Location: San Jose, CA
I am guessing #CS is 3.3V LVTTL-level composite sync, while the CS75 is meant to drive a 75-ohm load.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 1795
Location: Kentucky
In more layman terms you need extra components inside your cable if using CS#/TTL sync to bring it down to a 75ohm load, whereas the CS75 pad on the N64RGB already does this for you.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:23 am 



Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
bobrocks95 wrote:
In more layman terms you need extra components inside your cable if using CS#/TTL sync to bring it down to a 75ohm load, whereas the CS75 pad on the N64RGB already does this for you.


Thanks, bobrocks95! I was looking into Tim's instructions on his website, and found this:

The original composite video signal is normally used for sync. Some people claim this causes a small amount of interference to the RGB video (particularly with cheap cables). There are two ways to solve this problem.
The first is to cut the track to the composite video (V) pin of the A/V output socket and connect a the CS75 signal to this pin. The disadvantage is the console will no longer output compostie video.
The second solution is to rewire the cable to use either pin 7 (luma) or pin 3 (normally not connected - connect CS75 or CS# signal here from the N64RGB) for sync


Please notice the section with underline. As long as I use HD Retrovision's SNES component cable on my Nintendo 64, I guess that probably the best solution for me is to replicate the exact same type of sync the SNES has, on my N64.

I've found in some diagrams that the pin 3 is used for csync in the SNES. But, what kind of csync? CS#/TTL or CS75?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 1795
Location: Kentucky
TTL. If I wanted to use my SNES CSync SCART cable on an N64 I would hook up CS# to pin 3, as the cable already has components on the sync wire to compensate.

Are HD Retrovision cables using CSync, or composite video?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 1811
Location: Canada
Composite video. Broadest compatibility (even with 1chip-03 and PAL cube that lack csync), and no interference because the sync is extracted at the start of the cable before anything can couple.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:53 pm 



Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Guspaz wrote:
Composite video. Broadest compatibility (even with 1chip-03 and PAL cube that lack csync), and no interference because the sync is extracted at the start of the cable before anything can couple.


So the appropriate solution to my case is to cut the track to the composite video (V) pin of the A/V output socket and connect a the CS75 signal to this pin?
Just wiring CS# into pin 3 will not work as intended on HD Retrovision's cable?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:08 pm 



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 887
Location: Toronto, Canada
Sync on composite video does not work correctly with all display devices.

HD retro cables are component cables. The output doesn't have a seperate sync cable like RGB. But for input not sure why they wouldn't use csync.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 1811
Location: Canada
leonk wrote:
Sync on composite video does not work correctly with all display devices.

HD retro cables are component cables. The output doesn't have a seperate sync cable like RGB. But for input not sure why they wouldn't use csync.


Because csync is missing on many consoles (examples: PAL SNES, PAL GameCube, NTSC 1chip03 SNES, Sony Playstation, PAL Wii) and isn't at a consistent level (TTL vs 75ohm).

Composite video is available on every console that supports RGB. Using it as the sync source allows the HD Retrovision cables to work on a lot more consoles in a "plug and play" manner, without any real downside that I can see. What advantage would there be to using csync?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:26 pm 



Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Guspaz wrote:
leonk wrote:
Sync on composite video does not work correctly with all display devices.

HD retro cables are component cables. The output doesn't have a seperate sync cable like RGB. But for input not sure why they wouldn't use csync.


Because csync is missing on many consoles (examples: PAL SNES, PAL GameCube, NTSC 1chip03 SNES, Sony Playstation, PAL Wii) and isn't at a consistent level (TTL vs 75ohm).

Composite video is available on every console that supports RGB. Using it as the sync source allows the HD Retrovision cables to work on a lot more consoles in a "plug and play" manner, without any real downside that I can see. What advantage would there be to using csync?


So I'll really need to cut the composite video track on my N64 and wire the CS75 signal there?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 743 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mheyman, RottenToTheGore, setsunabr and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group