shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:09 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128
 Post subject: Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:52 pm 

It's not lying: as I said, the shutter speed setting ensures that no part of the frame is exposed for longer than that. It's just that it doesn't all get exposed at the same time.

Cameras with global shutters do expose the entire frame at once, so they solve the problem, but these days they tend to be restricted to professional film cameras (RED, Arri, BlackMagic, etc).

CCD sensors tend to be global shutters, while CMOS sensors (used in most cameras these days) tend to be rolling. A few sensor manufacturers have announced CMOS sensors with global shutters in the past few years, but I'm not sure if any of them have made it into actual products.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:50 pm 

I think it's a problem with English language that people get confused. As a french, when I saw review of lenses for the first time, when they were saying "this lens is fast, this one is not so fast", I was thinking they were talking about the autofocus speed. It took some time for me to understand they were actually talking about the aperture of the lenses.

I think it's the same for the shutter. The "shutter speed" setting does not control the actual "speed" of the shutter, but the time a part of the sensor get exposed, as Guspaz explained. The shutter actually always moves at the same speed. They control the time a part of the sensor get exposed by changing the delay between the first curtain starts to open and the second curtain starts to close, as you can see in the Slo Mo Guys video I posted.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:15 am 

I have a weird problem with OSSC video output.. It used to work properly earlier, but now the output video signal from OSSC works OK with some displays/devices only, and with other devices it's "weird color" and/or glitchy or really noisy. Here's some examples:

- OSSC --> Dell 23" display: OK.
- OSSC --> HDMI-to-VGA converter: OK.

- OSSC --> Dell 24" display: FAIL, output video is purple/blue and/or glitchy and/or noisy.
- OSSC --> Extron video processor: FAIL, output video is green and/or glitchy and/or noisy.
- OSSC --> Another Extron video processor: FAIL, output video is green and/or glitchy and/or noisy.

This problem happens even with the default "calibration picture" of OSSC (when no OSSC input is selected), so it's the default 480p @ 59.54 Hz mode. See these pics for examples:

- http://pasik.reaktio.net/ossc-problem01.png
- http://pasik.reaktio.net/ossc-problem02.png (the moire pattern here is from my camera, it's not on actual output signal).

I've tried all the OSSC firmware versions (currently using v0.76), and they don't seem to affect this behaviour. I suspect it's somehow OSSC hardware related.. my OSSC is from the first batch, v1.4-DVI.

I've also tried all the "basic troubleshooting" steps, meaning multiple different displays / video processors, multiple DVI/HDMI cables, etc.. and I've resetted the OSSC settings to defaults aswell. No help.

Any ideas what might cause this? And how to fix it..

(yeah, I had the OSSC fuse blown recently, but this video output problem started before i messed up with the power supply and blew the fuse.. actually this output problem is exactly the reason why I wanted to try another power supply to rule out if the problem is caused by a bad PSU - and that's confirmed now, I have exactly the same video output problem with two different PSUs, so I don't think OSSC PSU is causing this problem).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:23 pm 

Hi,
Will there be any future option for the OSSC that will allow it to ignore sync and "force" 240p? That would universally fix the 240p/480i switching issues in games like Silent Hill.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:21 pm 

Nrg wrote:
I have a weird problem with OSSC video output.. It used to work properly earlier, but now the output video signal from OSSC works OK with some displays/devices only, and with other devices it's "weird color" and/or glitchy or really noisy. Here's some examples:
Sounds like HDMI transmitter chip may have got damaged - see this post and follow-up about how to check whether it is so.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:06 pm 

Quote:
Hi,
Will there be any future option for the OSSC that will allow it to ignore sync and "force" 240p? That would universally fix the 240p/480i switching issues in games like Silent Hill.

It's not as simple as that, when consoles change 240p->480i the refresh rate changes too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 pm 

Found out about this thing waaaaaay too late, #4346 in line now :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 pm 

Sp33dFr34k wrote:
Found out about this thing waaaaaay too late, #4346 in line now :shock:

how do you find out what position you are in?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 pm 

lettuce wrote:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... your-spot/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm 

Harrumph wrote:
lettuce wrote:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... your-spot/

Hmmm, i ordered one about a year ago and signed up to the news letter again as i want a 2nd device but the end of my url tag is '=47-edda6d9e98' so does that mean position 47?, if so im guessing that is still taking my first sign up to the news letter and not this recent one?. If thats the case how on earth do i get on the list for a 2nd device?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:27 pm 

There will be pre-orders for the next batch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:48 pm 

Harrumph wrote:
There will be pre-orders for the next batch.

So what ever position your in the 'line' it doesnt matter then?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128