shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:45 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:21 pm 

superg wrote:
PeterWar wrote:
When I turn on my MD1 I do NOT see 1 second quick blinking of switch green power LED.

There definitely is a sync problem there, if you don't see blinking it means that the signal isn't detected.

PeterWar wrote:
Find pictures of the SCART cable I'm using on the SMS2:

Your SMS 2 is RGB-modded, this could be the source of your problem, do you know what is installed?
More info here: http://retrorgb.com/sms.html

I've tried contacting the vendor but it does not reply. I could open the console and take some pictures if that helps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:29 pm 

PeterWar wrote:
superg wrote:
PeterWar wrote:
When I turn on my MD1 I do NOT see 1 second quick blinking of switch green power LED.

There definitely is a sync problem there, if you don't see blinking it means that the signal isn't detected.

PeterWar wrote:
Find pictures of the SCART cable I'm using on the SMS2:

Your SMS 2 is RGB-modded, this could be the source of your problem, do you know what is installed?
More info here: http://retrorgb.com/sms.html

I've tried contacting the vendor but it does not reply. I could open the console and take some pictures if that helps.

I don't think I will be able to help with SMS2 mod, I don't own it currently. I might get it later, mod myself and see what's going on there. But before it I have to look into SNES Mini RGB mod and TurboGrafx consoles, those mods are far more important.
In general there are countless half-correct mods out there for every console and I simply can't check them all. While I do my best to support what I can, the official statement still is "modded consoles aren't supported".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:32 pm 

DirkSwizzler wrote:
Although, if that's the problem. I would have hoped that sync regen could have fixed it. But composite video is a mess so I'm not that shocked.

Composite video as sync is fine if your console cables are good. I myself prefer to have composite sync for all my consoles as sometimes I want to see composite, for testing mainly. If Neo Geo composite video is a problem it might me that sync component is messed up there. Sync regeneration strips everything but sync.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:33 pm 

mikehaggar wrote:
But considering it works fine with my other model 1 genesis, could the cable really be at fault?

There are numerous console revisions there, that's why you might see a difference. The advice is to have a proper passive SCART cable which doesn't do any processing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:35 pm 

DTechNation wrote:
Hi Superg,

I just received my GScartLite and I was so excited to get it into my system, but once I connected it, I noticed a weird issue.

It seems like some electrical interference (wavy horizontal interference) is present in the signal (this is not present when plugging the system directly into the tv). This happens even when I plug the system and Gscart into a Powerline power professional power conditioner (I tried directly into the wall as well). I have tried with CS switch on or off with no difference.

Is there something I'm missing here or did I receive a defective unit?

Lastly, Thank you for all your hard work Superg.

Does it happen for all consoles or just one?
Every unit is tested here. However I don't test power supplies, but these are solid, haven't had a single failure with them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 pm 

superg wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:
Although, if that's the problem. I would have hoped that sync regen could have fixed it. But composite video is a mess so I'm not that shocked.

Composite video as sync is fine if your console cables are good. I myself prefer to have composite sync for all my consoles as sometimes I want to see composite, for testing mainly. If Neo Geo composite video is a problem it might me that sync component is messed up there. Sync regeneration strips everything but sync.

Just to be absolutely clear. I wasn't worried about sync on composite in general. I was assuming that doing so on the csync pin is where the trouble arose. Are you saying that putting composite video on the csync line is not a problem at all?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:01 pm 

DirkSwizzler wrote:
superg wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:

Just to be absolutely clear. I wasn't worried about sync on composite in general. I was assuming that doing so on the csync pin is where the trouble arose. Are you saying that putting composite video on the csync line is not a problem at all?

Oh, thanks for the clarification. Well, from console pinout standpoint obviously it's wrong. I just meant that it doesn't matter much to switch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:03 pm 

superg wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:

Oh, thanks for the clarification. Well, from console pinout standpoint obviously it's wrong. I just meant that it doesn't matter much to switch.

Good to know. I assumed that there was slightly different regeneration behavior depending on whether sync was drawn from composite, luma, or csync pins.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:10 pm 

What does the sync regeneration fix? Can it help stabilise sync wobble?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 pm 

I have bought Tim Worthington's NESRGB and N64RGB boards, both of which can output both C75 sync or TTL sync. I'm going to be using Retro Gaming Cables PAL Super Nintendo CSYNC cables. Which sync should I use, C75 or TTL? Is there any issue using a cable with 75 Ohm resistors on the composite sync line if its already @ 75 Ohms?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:58 pm 

LDigital wrote:
What does the sync regeneration fix? Can it help stabilise sync wobble?

I'm not exactly sure what do you mean by wobble. Sync regeneration detect sync pulses, fixes it's level and outputs pulses using internal clock. If sync is messed up badly it won't be fixed.

Ward1986 wrote:
I have bought Tim Worthington's NESRGB and N64RGB boards, both of which can output both C75 sync or TTL sync. I'm going to be using Retro Gaming Cables PAL Super Nintendo CSYNC cables. Which sync should I use, C75 or TTL? Is there any issue using a cable with 75 Ohm resistors on the composite sync line if its already @ 75 Ohms?

The switch supports only 75 ohm terminated sync. As of cables, use whatever is recommended by Tim.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:55 am 

Ward1986 wrote:
I have bought Tim Worthington's NESRGB and N64RGB boards, both of which can output both C75 sync or TTL sync.

According to a recent discussion I had with Tim in his NESRGB thread, his NESRGB boards only output attenuated csync (even when J8 is left open on the newer boards, there is still 470 ohm resistor active on the line), meaning you're fine using a straight csync cable line with no resistor. I don't know if this is the same situation with the N64 board he makes though.

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:13 pm 

superg wrote:
DTechNation wrote:
Hi Superg,

I just received my GScartLite and I was so excited to get it into my system, but once I connected it, I noticed a weird issue.

It seems like some electrical interference (wavy horizontal interference) is present in the signal (this is not present when plugging the system directly into the tv). This happens even when I plug the system and Gscart into a Powerline power professional power conditioner (I tried directly into the wall as well). I have tried with CS switch on or off with no difference.

Is there something I'm missing here or did I receive a defective unit?

Lastly, Thank you for all your hard work Superg.

Does it happen for all consoles or just one?
Every unit is tested here. However I don't test power supplies, but these are solid, haven't had a single failure with them.

I did some experimenting when I got home from work.

The distortion is happening with all systems regardless of which port on the gscartlite is used. I tried it using both outputs as well trying different scart to scart cables (ones I know work). Maybe it is the power supply?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm 

DTechNation wrote:
I did some experimenting when I got home from work.

The distortion is happening with all systems regardless of which port on the gscartlite is used. I tried it using both outputs as well trying different scart to scart cables (ones I know work). Maybe it is the power supply?

PM sent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm 

Hi superg !

I finally received the product, and it's a really good stuff.

I tested my Master System, NES and SNES and everything is OK. Wonderful quality (with Csync switch ON or OFF, same quality for me).

I just have a little issue with my N64... The sound is OK, but no picture on screen... Everything is OK if I don't use the gscartsw lite and put directly the N64 cable to TV.

Do you know why ? Maybe my N64 cable ? It seems not very strong... (this is the one with 3 colors, yellow white red). I tested on other input, same problem :/

I put one output to TV and one to some 2.1 HP, the sound is great. I show you my setup :

http://hpics.li/472f9d5

Thanks for help, almost perfect sensation !-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:10 pm 

franckytaz wrote:
Hi superg !

I tested my Master System, NES and SNES and everything is OK. Wonderful quality (with Csync switch ON or OFF, same quality for me).

I just have a little issue with my N64... The sound is OK, but no picture on screen... Everything is OK if I don't use the gscartsw lite and put directly the N64 cable to TV.

Do you know why ? Maybe my N64 cable ? It seems not very strong... (this is the one with 3 colors, yellow white red). I tested on other input, same problem :/

I put one output to TV and one to some 2.1 HP, the sound is great. I show you my setup :

Look into your N64 RGB mod for the possible problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm 

superg wrote:
franckytaz wrote:
Hi superg !

Damn, what is that... Do I have to open the console ? In that case, I would prefer sell this one then buy a good version, I'm kind of noob in electronic stuff :/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:39 pm 

franckytaz wrote:
superg wrote:

Damn, what is that... Do I have to open the console ? In that case, I would prefer sell this one then buy a good version, I'm kind of noob in electronic stuff :/

N64 doesn't output native RGB, your console had to be modded, read information here:
http://retrorgb.com/n64.html

You will need to make yourself familiar with those things if you wan't to have a good setup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:52 pm 

superg wrote:
franckytaz wrote:
superg wrote:

N64 doesn't output native RGB, your console had to be modded, read information here:
http://retrorgb.com/n64.html

You will need to make yourself familiar with those things if you wan't to have a good setup.

If you look in his picture, he's using composite video cables into some sort of converter SCART box into the gscartsw-lite. I don't think he has an RGB-modded N64.

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:03 pm 

FBX wrote:

If you look in his picture, he's using composite video cables into some sort of converter SCART box into the gscartsw-lite. I don't think he has an RGB-modded N64.

I've seen the pic but I thought it's some other console, not N64.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:33 pm 

FBX wrote:

And most importantly. There's nothing plugged into the composite RCA jack of the output converter box.

franckytaz, I'm not sure how you expect video to come back out of the gscartsw without plugging the composite output from the jack into your tv/upscaler.

The gscartsw doesn't automatically convert/route composite to RGB.

EDIT: I could be misdiagnosing the problem if the TV has a direct SCART socket. But I'm assuming it does not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 pm 

DirkSwizzler wrote:
FBX wrote:

And most importantly. There's nothing plugged into the composite RCA jack of the output converter box.

franckytaz, I'm not sure how you expect video to come back out of the gscartsw without plugging the composite output from the jack into your tv/upscaler.

EDIT: I could be misdiagnosing the problem if the TV has a direct SCART socket. But I'm assuming it does not.

It looks like both outputs on his gscart lite are populated; perhaps he's tapping one output for video and the other for audio?

Edit: Reword; missed where he clearly said it was a lite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:48 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:
FBX wrote:

It looks like a gscart lite to me with both outputs populated; perhaps he's tapping one output for video and the other for audio?

Sure, which would work fine if the video output was going to a device that automatically recognized RGB vs Composite vs S-Video. But I'm assuming it's going to a niche device like a framemeister which is only picking up the RGB pins for video.

I could totally be wrong. But it fits the data for NTSC scenarios which I'm just assuming he is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 pm 

DirkSwizzler wrote:

I think he utilizes 2nd output as audio only.
Anyways the clarification is needed because obviously the switch won't convert composite to RGB :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:29 pm 

For clarification (unless I'm reading franckytaz's post wrong) the input down at the bottom of the image is his N64. He states he is using a yellow-white-red cable, which we all know is composite video and stereo audio. In this case, he's thinking he can use composite video into the gscartsw-lite, which doesn't work because gscartsw-lite doesn't translate composite into RGB.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 pm 

FBX wrote:
For clarification (unless I'm reading franckytaz's post wrong) the input down at the bottom of the image is his N64. He states he is using a yellow-white-red cable, which we all know is composite video and stereo audio. In this case, he's thinking he can use composite video into the gscartsw-lite, which doesn't work because gscartsw-lite doesn't translate composite into RGB.

Oh, you're right...
I totally missed that. So yeah, in this case it's not going to work. The best he can do is to have sync regeneration off and to utilize yellow output on the second connector to have composite at least.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 pm 

Just got mine and did a quick test. Two consoles does not work for me:

1) Unmodded PAL NES with a composite video to SCART cable. Just a black picture.

2) Unmodded PC Engine Core Grafx + Super Grafx with a custom made RGB SCART that attaches to the EXT port on the back. Black picture with sync regeneration off or grey/black flickering with sync regeneration on. Cable says "CV-SYNC EDITION" on it, not sure if that means composite video or not. I'll ask the maker of the cable. Link here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-RGB-Cable ... xyaRZR2X4C

Everything works when connected to a dumb SCART switch. Any ideas?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:46 pm 

superg wrote:
FBX wrote:

Oh, you're right...
I totally missed that. So yeah, in this case it's not going to work. The best he can do is to have sync regeneration off and to utilize yellow output on the second connector to have composite at least.

Whoa, back up a tiny bit because now I'm confused. I thought the gscartsw_lite would still pass along a composite-only signal because it still has valid sync signal and therefore forwards all the pins. Are you saying that it won't even pass the sync regen phase?

In my head (could totally be wrong here), he has the gscartsw_lite's scart output hooked up to some device that doesn't even check the composite pin for video. And when he says he's testing it directly on the TV he's bypassing the composite->scart conversion alltogether and just hooking up to a composite video rca plug on the tv.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:07 pm 

Sunray wrote:
Just got mine and did a quick test. Two consoles does not work for me:

1) Unmodded PAL NES with a composite video to SCART cable. Just a black picture.

2) Unmodded PC Engine Core Grafx + Super Grafx with a custom made RGB SCART that attaches to the EXT port on the back. Black picture with sync regeneration off or grey/black flickering with sync regeneration on. Cable says "CV-SYNC EDITION" on it, not sure if that means composite video or not. I'll ask the maker of the cable. Link here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-RGB-Cable ... xyaRZR2X4C

Everything works when connected to a dumb SCART switch. Any ideas?

1. As I've stated here, there is no conversion from composite to RGB. This is RGBS switch.
2. Ext connector cable isn't enough to get proper RGBS from turbografx, read this topic backwards, there is some stuff from dbelectronics which works as far as I remember.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:11 pm 

DirkSwizzler wrote:
Whoa, back up a tiny bit because now I'm confused. I thought the gscartsw_lite would still pass along a composite-only signal because it still has valid sync signal and therefore forwards all the pins. Are you saying that it won't even pass the sync regen phase?

In my head (could totally be wrong here), he has the gscartsw_lite's scart output hooked up to some device that doesn't even check the composite pin for video. And when he says he's testing it directly on the TV he's bypassing the composite->scart conversion alltogether and just hooking up to a composite video rca plug on the tv.

Composite signal is passed as is if sync regeneration is off. If sync regeneration is on, it's stripping everything from composite but sync, so it becomes CSYNC.
On his pic he isn't using yellow RCA output so I think that he expects that composite will be converted to RGBS by the switch (which is not the case)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next