shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:04 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:20 pm 

ZellSF wrote:
Right. No clue why I was talking about composite sync.

The PS2 when connected to component cables to the gcompsw will switch between sync on luma (green component wire) to sync on green (which according to the PS2's pinout will also be on the green component wire).

Will the gcompsw detect sync on green and forward the PS2 input?

Component connection has nothing to do with SoG as far as I know. Y always has the sync.

Phoebius wrote:
Phoebius wrote:
Hi, Superg!

Sorry if that's a naive question, but...

I'm interested in buying a gscartsw, but I'd like to combine it with a scanline generator, before pluging in my Led TV. (I don't have any upscaler)

I've seen in another thread that the SLG 3000 seems to be the best option, but it does work with VGA and not SCART.
Are you still making the gscartsw v3.4 with VGA output, and in that case would it work?

Or would another solution be possible with gscartsw_lite?

Thanks in advance.

Hi!
Quoting my question because it was left unanswered...

Sorry I missed that.
I'm not familiar with SLG 3000, if it supports composite sync on VGA it should work with a simple adapter.
But does your monitor support all the low-res output of each console?
Not sure on gscartsw v3.4 at this point, first have to ship lite and get some community feedback.

franckytaz wrote:
- Then my old games consoles are Master System, NES, SNES and N64 (one of each). Is the product working fine with these machines ?

Mostly yes. It depends on your mods cables etc but usually everything works.

franckytaz wrote:
- How does the autoswitch works with two consoles turned on ? (just asking)

gscartsw_lite: whichever console was turned on the first time remains active
gscartsw v3.4: there is hardcoded port priority, input 1 > input 2 > ... > input 8

franckytaz wrote:
- At last, I french (sorry for my bad english btw), so do I just have to pay 180 USD + 35 USD on the store ? (anyway to have cheaper delivery ?) Then wait about 6 weeks for the delivery, is that correct ?

The price is correct, that's the cheapest delivery I can do. 6 weeks is an estimated manufacturing time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:35 pm 

What happens when the resolution changes between 240p and 480i (on Amiga for instance), will that trigger the automatic switching? In this case specifically thinking about Pinball Illusions & Slam Tilt where this happens during multi-ball or when you press F9/F10.

This is the the biggest reason why XRGB Mini is useless to me and CRT is the only way. When the game switches to interlaced the XRGB goes black for 10 seconds and it is game over.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:39 pm 

Sunray wrote:
What happens when the resolution changes between 240p and 480i (on Amiga for instance), will that trigger the automatic switching? In this case specifically thinking about Pinball Illusions & Slam Tilt where this happens during multi-ball or when you press F9/F10.

This is the the biggest reason why XRGB Mini is useless to me and CRT is the only way. When the game switches to interlaced the XRGB goes black for 10 seconds and it is game over.

The switch will handle this fine but as you say it depends on your display equipment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 pm 

superg wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
Right. No clue why I was talking about composite sync.

The PS2 when connected to component cables to the gcompsw will switch between sync on luma (green component wire) to sync on green (which according to the PS2's pinout will also be on the green component wire).

Will the gcompsw detect sync on green and forward the PS2 input?

Component connection has nothing to do with SoG as far as I know. Y always has the sync.

The PS2 pinout has the same pins for

Y (when outputting component) and Green (when outputting RGB)
Pr (when outputting component) and Red (when outputting RGB)
Pb (when outputting component) and Blue (when outputting RGB)

The OSSC supports 480p PS2 RGsB over component cables, question is will the gcompsw forward it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm 

ZellSF wrote:

The OSSC supports 480p PS2 RGsB over component cables, question is will the gcompsw forward it?

I was talking about the component mode. In component mode sync is always mixed to Y and Y is used for the gcompsw detection.
If you set PS2 to RGBS mode while using component cable, where are you going to take the sync from when PS2 is in normal mode (non VGA)?
SoG is enabled only when the game sets the appropriate video mode which means you will see nothing on screen when PS2 boots or in it's menu, etc.

Now to answer your question, gcompsw detects the signal if there is a sync either on Green RCA or on Yellow RCA, so it will forward PS2 in VGA mode.
But to support legacy RGBS mode you'll need the component cable which has additional composite RCA jack which you connect to yellow gcompsw RCA and then you have to somehow utilize gcompsw's yellow output with OSSC.
If all that is resolved you're all set.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:18 pm 

Okay, thanks for the answers.

Last question, what kind of cable do I have to buy to connect the gscart lite to my old cathodic Sony Trinitron TV ? In fact, which model precisely ?

I don't want to kill the signal quality after the output, it will be too bad !

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:37 pm 

franckytaz wrote:

Last question, what kind of cable do I have to buy to connect the gscart lite to my old cathodic Sony Trinitron TV ? In fact, which model precisely ?

Thanks

You can get this: https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-mult ... B01DYELZXE, should be available in Europe as well.
or this: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... packapunch (UK)
or ask her to build the shorter cable for you: http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories?rt=nc (US)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:58 pm 

superg wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I was talking about the component mode. In component mode sync is always mixed to Y and Y is used for the gcompsw detection.
If you set PS2 to RGBS mode while using component cable, where are you going to take the sync from when PS2 is in normal mode (non VGA)?
SoG is enabled only when the game sets the appropriate video mode which means you will see nothing on screen when PS2 boots or in it's menu, etc.

Now to answer your question, gcompsw detects the signal if there is a sync either on Green RCA or on Yellow RCA, so it will forward PS2 in VGA mode.
But to support legacy RGBS mode you'll need the component cable which has additional composite RCA jack which you connect to yellow gcompsw RCA and then you have to somehow utilize gcompsw's yellow output with OSSC.
If all that is resolved you're all set.

I plan to use component for low resolution modes and force RGB for high resolution modes. OSSC makes switching easy and if the gcompsw supports that it sounds good.

Now to wait for the thing to arrive :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:05 pm 

ZellSF wrote:
Now to wait for the thing to arrive :(

I will ship most gcompsw units on the weekend (the ones which aren't combined with gscartsw_lite)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:10 pm 

superg wrote:
franckytaz wrote:

Thanks

You can get this: https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-mult ... B01DYELZXE, should be available in Europe as well.
or this: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... packapunch (UK)
or ask her to build the shorter cable for you: http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories?rt=nc (US)

Perfect ! I'll take the first i guess... Now I'm just waiting for the answer about the amount of my France customs fees, then I'll make the order.

When the pre-orders will be closed btw ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:12 pm 

franckytaz wrote:
Perfect ! I'll take the first i guess... Now I'm just waiting for the answer about the amount of my France customs fees, then I'll make the order.

Next Tuesday is the last day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:33 pm 

superg wrote:
franckytaz wrote:

Ok thanks, so I'll make the order monday or tuesday, hope I'll have my response about the taxes amount fast... See you soon !

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 pm 

superg wrote:
franckytaz wrote:

This upcoming Tuesday or the next one?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:55 pm 

BobLoblaw972379 wrote:
superg wrote:
franckytaz wrote:

This upcoming Tuesday or the next one?

This one, 5/16/2017.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:11 am 

Apologies for the noob question, but what is benefit of disabling LPF? I have gsw 3.4 into framemeister. Also thinking of a garo to input gcomp out into gscart to be lazy not switching framemeister input, or is this just a silly idea?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:46 pm 

Edit: SOLD
There is one gscartsw v3.4 available for immediate purchase, first come first served:
http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/gscartsw-v3-4/
A good opportunity as a second v3.4 if you want match the appearance.

If you've already put an order on gscartsw_lite and rather get this one let me know and I can refund lite.

Last edited by superg on Sat May 13, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:04 pm 

cook99 wrote:
Apologies for the noob question, but what is benefit of disabling LPF? I have gsw 3.4 into framemeister. Also thinking of a garo to input gcomp out into gscart to be lazy not switching framemeister input, or is this just a silly idea?

You have to see for yourself which image you like better, filtered one or unfiltered. Filter helps to clean interference introduced by cheaper cables but if your cables are short and hi-quality you may benefit from LPF off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:44 pm 

superg wrote:
There is one gscartsw v3.4 available for immediate purchase, first come first served:

If you've already put an order on gscartsw_lite and rather get this one let me know and I can refund lite.

Hum... just to know, the video qualité between 3.4 and lite is the same ?

How does the VGA output works ? Is it OK to plug directly on LCD TV (maybe some problem with the upscale ?)

Before I checked for the lite one, now I am interested by both :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:24 pm 

franckytaz wrote:
superg wrote:

How does the VGA output works ? Is it OK to plug directly on LCD TV (maybe some problem with the upscale ?)

Same quality, no problems but it's gone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:35 am 

superg wrote:
franckytaz wrote:
superg wrote:

Same quality, no problems but it's gone.

Too bad ! Do you plan to make others or now there will be just lite one ?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:58 am 

franckytaz wrote:
Too bad ! Do you plan to make others or now there will be just lite one ?

Thanks

It may be the case but first I will need a community feedback on lite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:24 pm 

Ok so I'm gonna take the lite I guess.

(It was just about the sound, I would have liked to have an audio output to put on my HI FI :P)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:56 pm 

franckytaz wrote:
Ok so I'm gonna take the lite I guess.

(It was just about the sound, I would have liked to have an audio output to put on my HI FI :P)

You can always use one of these on the output:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-audio-bre ... 25a0d89f74

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:04 pm 

I will be using one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-3-x-RC ... 2573364321

One scart output for video and one output for audio.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:22 pm 

Hey Mr. G.

I've purchased 2 gcompsw, but didn't receive any sort of confirmation. Is that normal? Will you send a confirmation once they have shipped?

Love your work btw, keep it up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:59 pm 

Sunray wrote:
I will be using one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-3-x-RC ... 2573364321

Spoiler: show

I wouldn't trust that part to handle audio without degradation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:16 pm 

Wolf_ wrote:
Sunray wrote:

Uh, why not? I would.

It does not however handle RGB video which is a far worse issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:21 pm 

ZellSF wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
Sunray wrote:

Uh, why not? I would.

It does not however handle RGB video which is a far worse issue.

It doesn't have to. He's using it in one of the outputs for audio out. The quality on the part as a whole is just janky though. I wouldn't be surprised if it had serious quality issues and he ended up with interference/buzz/general quality loss as a result.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:42 pm 

Hum.. I guess as gscart lite is a good product quality I think the solution with one scart output for video and one for audio is a good solution (well, I'll check in live anyway).

The only problem will be that I will have the TV sound and the HI FI sound simultaneous :/ If I'll reduce the TV sound, the HI FI sound with reduce too... So it's both or not with this solution (please don't ask me to kill the TV HP with a knife xD)

Or maybe I'm wrong and as the audio signal is before the TV the TV sound is not linked with the HI FI sound ?.. Noob here :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:19 pm 

Wolf_ wrote:
It doesn't have to. He's using it in one of the outputs for audio out. The quality on the part as a whole is just janky though. I wouldn't be surprised if it had serious quality issues and he ended up with interference/buzz/general quality loss as a result.

Sadly I cannot find a better option. I'm will buy a similar better device if I can find it. I would have preferred built in RCA jacks in the switch though.

Audio noise is mostly coming from long unshielded cables (line-level). This device has a minimal length. The quality of the connectors might be a problem though. I might just open it up and solder in some better cables and bypass the switch.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next