shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 1:14 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 pm 

anyone know if RF still works with the NESRGB board? and if so do the palettes work as well through RF? I am thinking of hooking my nes through RGB to a monitor and an old CRT TV using RF. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 pm 

It does not. RF won't work unless you shut off the NESRGB, basically the same situation as the NES' built-in composite video: it doesn't work while the NESRGB is active. That said, the NESRGB provides its own composite video output. No RF though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:38 am 

tacoboy42 wrote:
anyone know if RF still works with the NESRGB board? and if so do the palettes work as well through RF? I am thinking of hooking my nes through RGB to a monitor and an old CRT TV using RF. Thanks!

I think it will work if you use this RF box:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:15 pm 

i have a few questions in regards to ^
i used to think the 4th mode is to turn off the rgb board, so you could enjoy the av out and rf as supposed to.
if thats not the case, what exactly does the 4th mode?
does the av out work at all with nesrgb on/installed and how much does the composite signal differ from the original?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:44 pm 

Guspaz wrote:
It does not. RF won't work unless you shut off the NESRGB, basically the same situation as the NES' built-in composite video: it doesn't work while the NESRGB is active. That said, the NESRGB provides its own composite video output. No RF though.

The NES' built in composite won't work at all, or it'll only work "weird-ish" ?

The reason I ask is this.

The NESRGB on my frontloader seems to work fine via RGB-Scart, at least that's what I thought.

But here's where it gets weird. Once I connect a cable to the built-in composite's video (while still being in RGB of course),
the NESRGB's reds are boosted quite a lot.
I only found out about this by accident, and now I'm not sure if the reds are supposed to
be this saturated in the first place ? Or if this behaviour is normal and I just just ignore it
by simply not connecting anything to the built-in composite ?

On the other hand, the built-in composite is still working, albeit only in B/W.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:27 pm 

I have a problem with an AV famicom (nes japanese model) with NESRGB mod installed. I have done a lot of research but I can't find nothing...Shmups forum is my last hope...

I recorded this video where i show blinking pixels. I hook AV Famicom to a BVM 20F1E (Av Out>Scart Male>Scart Female>BNC>BVM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyH6zB4O7GY

It happens no matter any game I try. ¿Maybe is the cable? ¿Which cable do I need to buy? I'm thinking buying a SNES NTSC RGB cable from retrogammingcables but I'm not sure this can fix the problem. Video is wired to AV Out of the console. ¿Someone with similar problem can help?.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:57 am 

heimdalr wrote:
i have a few questions in regards to ^
i used to think the 4th mode is to turn off the rgb board, so you could enjoy the av out and rf as supposed to.
if thats not the case, what exactly does the 4th mode?
does the av out work at all with nesrgb on/installed and how much does the composite signal differ from the original?

That's correct. The if by '4th mode' you mean no palette selected. Then the NESRGB is off and the NES console should work just like one with out the NESRGB installed. The original video and RF will work in this mode.

Dude80 wrote:
The NESRGB on my frontloader seems to work fine via RGB-Scart, at least that's what I thought.

But here's where it gets weird. Once I connect a cable to the built-in composite's video (while still being in RGB of course),
I only found out about this by accident, and now I'm not sure if the reds are supposed to
be this saturated in the first place ? Or if this behaviour is normal and I just just ignore it

The NES colour palette does not contain many shades of red, so it's not used as often as blue/green colours in most games.

You problem is an unusual one. Have you tried to compare the NESRGB's RGB output to it's composite video output (V) ?

roquer.jordi wrote:
I have a problem with an AV famicom (nes japanese model) with NESRGB mod installed. I have done a lot of research but I can't find nothing...Shmups forum is my last hope...

I recorded this video where i show blinking pixels. I hook AV Famicom to a BVM 20F1E (Av Out>Scart Male>Scart Female>BNC>BVM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyH6zB4O7GY

It happens no matter any game I try. ¿Maybe is the cable? ¿Which cable do I need to buy? I'm thinking buying a SNES NTSC RGB cable from retrogammingcables but I'm not sure this can fix the problem. Video is wired to AV Out of the console. ¿Someone with similar problem can help?.

Thanks in advance!

I know this one. The problem is caused by noise on the power supply that gets into the PPU's video output signal. Perhaps the electrical noise is from a third party power supply or flash cartridge, or maybe you are just unlucky.

The noise gets coupled into the video signal through the original video driving transistor. That is the transistor on the motherboard connected to PPU pin 21. Find the transistor and remove it. Then connect a wire between CS# (or V, or Y) on the NESRGB to pin 9 in the AV port so your monitor can get a useful sync signal again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:00 am 

viletim wrote:

Dude80 wrote:

The NES colour palette does not contain many shades of red, so it's not used as often as blue/green colours in most games.

You problem is an unusual one. Have you tried to compare the NESRGB's RGB output to it's composite video output (V) ?

I think he's saying that he found a weird quirk that he could 'boost' the red by jacking into the RCA jack while hooked up in RGB. Since we're not supposed to hook anything into that jack with this mod in active RGB, it's likely an unintended effect.

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:36 am 

I'm getting audio popping/crackling from music with a lot of bass out of my RGB modded front loader. It's especially noticeable in Mega Man games. Do I need a higher quality cable? What could be the cause?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144