shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:35 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: SNES/Famicon PCB Revisions and RGB Video
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:20 am 

I don't know who maintains this spreadsheet but it helped me a lot for my search, so here's my contribution that may be added to the list:

• S24941268: SNS-CPU-APU-01
  • S25116727: SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02

Il will soon make some capture with my XRGB Mini to compare the two once I recieve the PSUs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:11 am 

I see the new bypass on Borti github have been online for a month. I'd like to mod a 3chip SNSP but I have a question.

For 3-chip, it's written SNES_RGBAmp_wCSYNC: possible on 3Chip boards (but not tested / described here). But in the How to install section, there are only informations to connect R, G and B to the SNES motherboard. But nothing about Csync. Is it because, you can't use the 4.1a bypass for 3-chip or did I miss something?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:01 pm 

chomel wrote:
I see the new bypass on Borti github have been online for a month. I'd like to mod a 3chip SNSP but I have a question.

For 3-chip, it's written SNES_RGBAmp_wCSYNC: possible on 3Chip boards (but not tested / described here). But in the How to install section, there are only informations to connect R, G and B to the SNES motherboard. But nothing about Csync. Is it because, you can't use the 4.1a bypass for 3-chip or did I miss something?

All NTSC SNESs except for the 1CHIP-03 and the Mini have CSync already outputting on pin 3 of the multi out. PAL consoles instead have 12v on pin 3 as is needed by some PAL TV's SCART inputs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 pm 

with "not tested / described here" the not is related to both - tested and described. Maybe it's written in a misleading way...

Yeah, it's possible; of course. It's a long time ago I looked for how it is possible on a PAL SNES.

... Well, on a NTSC unit it is quite useless as one already has CSYNC on the MultiAV.
... On a PAL unit you have to disconnect 12V first from the MultiAV. Afterwards you can grab CSYNC from the S-ENC CSYNC input pin and connect it to the modding board. Which modding steps exact have to be performed??? I have to look for it (once again)...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 pm 

Sorry I made you change your file. While we're talking about that, reading again PCB_VersA_Prep_README.txt and PCB_VersB_Prep_README.txt, you wrote
3.a) ... NTSC-cable schematic [5,6]
and [5,7] for PAL but below [6] is for PAL and [7] for NTSC

About my mod, I haven't performed anything yet, I haven't even bought anything yet. Now I have some extra questions.
- You said that I can grab CSYNC directly from pin 8 of the S-ENC or pin 100 of the PPU-2 and solder it directly to the CSYNC on the 4.1a modding board, right?
- If I use the 4.1b board. Is it possible to connect directly CSYNC from S-ENC or PPU-2 to pin 9 of multiAV instead of composite video (to keep +12V)? Or do I have to add extra resistors or capcitors? I might have asked you that already but I couldn't find the posts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:33 pm 

tjsynkral wrote:
CkRtech wrote:
Well, you could try Tavatri's SNES Sharp Pixel mod. I think Borti was working on a PCB for it last year. Not sure what came of it. The prototyping nature of the circuit has a ton of stacked components if you try to "float it" without a PCB. Results for those that tried it have been mixed.

Google just brings me back to your post, can you tell me more about this?

I may be making a few comparison photos for you guys since I have my RGB-modded Trinitron CRT and retro_console_accessories cables. My old SNES is an SHVC, and I've modded it for Component and it's giving me very sharp pixels on Component thus dodging the blurry RGB issue. I have a Snes Jr that gives me great RGB with the RetroRGB board, though I still need to add s-video to it (for convenience and luma sync). And my SFC is one of the S-RGB's, either 01 or 02, I will check later (that system is currently getting a retro bright).

Even using RGB through my OSSC on a Vizio P75, I find the component output from my SNES to be sharper. The only thing I wonder about is the colors look a bit muted, still the razor sharp pixels is well worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74tCA8m_O4k
Alienware 13R3 with Samsung OLED

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15