shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 7:59 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 152  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18067
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
Gnomenthusiast wrote:
Guspaz wrote:
HD-SDI is useful on an L5, since you can feed it a 480p - 1080i HDMI signal easily enough (say for displaying a PC or modern console), but on a 480i display (every PVM other than an L5) it's kind of useless because it's either difficult or pointless to get 240p or 480i HDMI output. Like, an OSSC in passthrough would do it, but why would you do RGB -> OSSC -> HDMI -> SDI -> PVM when you could just do RGB -> PVM?


This is what I had figured (although you explained it much better!). The only use I thought I might have had was the HDMI output from a Raspberry Pi that I have a bunch of emulators on, however it seems like it's cheap and easy to add RGB Scart to the Raspberry Pi, which is better anyway because it will allow Scanlines to be added by the OSSC.

You probably shouldn't need to add scanlines to 480i on the PVM L5. I've run arcade boards on mine and they look fine.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:09 pm 



Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 43
Quote:
You probably shouldn't need to add scanlines to 480i on the PVM L5. I've run arcade boards on mine and they look fine.


It's a 20M4E, so I'll give it a shot although the natural scanlines will probably be good.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 284
Location: Maryland
Quick question on the 14n2u: does anyone know what service menu setting I'd need to adjust the overscan? It's cutting off a bit of information on the sides of the screen. I was able to get my geometry and centering issues taken care of, but that one is vexing me.
_________________
A hero is just a man who knows he's free


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Posts: 848
I believe on my Sonys it's H size and V size in the geometry settings.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:26 am 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2016
Posts: 52
Anyone know the model names of some big 480/576i 29-40 inch consumer CRT's with component and or SCART inputs? I love my 20 inch Phillips, but I also want to get something more big and when I google 30-40 inch CRT I mainly get HDCRT's.
_________________
My very slow journey to build the ultimate gaming setup.
My Twitter
Like Dragonball? Like CRT's? Check out my Dragonball on CRT thread!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:34 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2015
Posts: 306
Location: Bellingham, WA
Mantis128 wrote:
Anyone know the model names of some big 480/576i 29-40 inch consumer CRT's with component and or SCART inputs? I love my 20 inch Phillips, but I also want to get something more big and when I google 30-40 inch CRT I mainly get HDCRT's.


Teaser//

Image

This TV is a stock photo of a shipment that should arrive tomorrow.

I will be receiving 2 of them and plan on selling one of them because one is already enough.

The Mitsubishi Megaview XC3725C will be fun to work with.

It all started with a PM from SNK NEO GEO.

I have no idea how to get a VGA converter for this thing but I'm still super stoked
_________________
Copyright 1987


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:07 pm 



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 110
Hoagtech wrote:
Mantis128 wrote:
Anyone know the model names of some big 480/576i 29-40 inch consumer CRT's with component and or SCART inputs? I love my 20 inch Phillips, but I also want to get something more big and when I google 30-40 inch CRT I mainly get HDCRT's.


Teaser//

Image

This TV is a stock photo of a shipment that should arrive tomorrow.

I will be receiving 2 of them and plan on selling one of them because one is already enough.

The Mitsubishi Megaview XC3725C will be fun to work with.

It all started with a PM from SNK NEO GEO.

I have no idea how to get a VGA converter for this thing but I'm still super stoked


The XC3725C doesn't do 15KHz, does it?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:05 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1698
Location: Up on the mountains, drifting with the 86
Congrats Hoagtech!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:26 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2015
Posts: 306
Location: Bellingham, WA
xga wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:
Mantis128 wrote:
Anyone know the model names of some big 480/576i 29-40 inch consumer CRT's with component and or SCART inputs? I love my 20 inch Phillips, but I also want to get something more big and when I google 30-40 inch CRT I mainly get HDCRT's.


Teaser//

Image

This TV is a stock photo of a shipment that should arrive tomorrow.

I will be receiving 2 of them and plan on selling one of them because one is already enough.

The Mitsubishi Megaview XC3725C will be fun to work with.

It all started with a PM from SNK NEO GEO.

I have no idea how to get a VGA converter for this thing but I'm still super stoked


The XC3725C doesn't do 15KHz, does it?


it does line doubled SVHS (Svideo) But no RGB 15 HZ.

It shouldn't matter with Marqs Line doubler though.

I'm hoping his 4x Mode works with my 1280 x 1024. But first I have to figure out this crazy d-15 port
_________________
Copyright 1987


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2015
Posts: 47
Hoagtech wrote:
it does line doubled SVHS (Svideo) But no RGB 15 HZ.

It shouldn't matter with Marqs Line doubler though.

I'm hoping his 4x Mode works with my 1280 x 1024. But first I have to figure out this crazy d-15 port


Are you absolutely sure about that?

http://imgur.com/a/sdap9
Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


It'd be awfully strange for them to offer it on the AM-Megaviews and earlier XC models, only to randomly remove it then add it back in for the last of them. To clarify, all those are shots of 15khz sources on an XC3730C. Could it possibly be a sync type issue?

As for the DA-15, I have a feeling it would use the same pinout as said 3730c.
Image

It's not that well made, but I put together a little adapter for connecting VGA to this, and it works rather well. DC or PC sources have worked fine on it, with sync fed to 12/13. Haven't yet had the chance to use any 15khz sources on that port, but I would assume they'd work just as well.
_________________
More scanlines than your body has room for.
No, Seriously.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2015
Posts: 306
Location: Bellingham, WA
AHh man. I cant wait to use this thing.

I read that it supported 21-64hz on RGB and up to a vetical resolution of 120hz. Are you hooking it to the dsub or are those composite?

heres the spec off the broadcast store:

Model Description:
HI-rez 37" RGB, S-VHS, Composite, Data PAL/NTSC
Model Details
XC-3725C Graphics Monitor
• 24 kHz to 64 kHz RGBS Input
• Resolution: 640 x 480 to 1280 x 1025
• 1 - S-VHS Input: Line Doubles to 31.5 kHz
• 2 - Composite Inputs - NTSC/PAL
. 34"W, 23"D, 28" High. Non Stackable for multi monitor use.

Accepts RGB input signal 24kHz-64kHz horizontal and 40Hz-120Hz vertical • 35" viewable image • NTSC, M-NTSC, PAL, SECAM and RGB analog • Resolution up to 1024H x 768V • Composite video input is scan doubled • Input 1 is Composite BNC looping or RCA and S-Video switchable • Input 2 is Composite BNC or RCA • RGBS input accepts 24kHz-64kHz and is BNC in/out • Internal speakers and external speaker output •

------------------------

Also RGB rob did a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rGfxP7VLs&t=497s

and mentioned the lack of 15khz on RGB.

-------------------------

I ended buying a db-15 to hd-15 adpater for a MAC external monitor connection. I am hoping it works but I know nothing of DIP switches and its got me confused
Image
_________________
Copyright 1987


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 431
Hoagtech wrote:
AHh man. I cant wait to use this thing.

I read that it supported 21-64hz on RGB and up to a vetical resolution of 120hz. Are you hooking it to the dsub or are those composite?

heres the spec off the broadcast store:

Model Description:
HI-rez 37" RGB, S-VHS, Composite, Data PAL/NTSC
Model Details
XC-3725C Graphics Monitor
• 24 kHz to 64 kHz RGBS Input
• Resolution: 640 x 480 to 1280 x 1025
• 1 - S-VHS Input: Line Doubles to 31.5 kHz
• 2 - Composite Inputs - NTSC/PAL
. 34"W, 23"D, 28" High. Non Stackable for multi monitor use.

Accepts RGB input signal 24kHz-64kHz horizontal and 40Hz-120Hz vertical • 35" viewable image • NTSC, M-NTSC, PAL, SECAM and RGB analog • Resolution up to 1024H x 768V • Composite video input is scan doubled • Input 1 is Composite BNC looping or RCA and S-Video switchable • Input 2 is Composite BNC or RCA • RGBS input accepts 24kHz-64kHz and is BNC in/out • Internal speakers and external speaker output •

------------------------

Also RGB rob did a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rGfxP7VLs&t=497s

and mentioned the lack of 15khz on RGB.

-------------------------

I ended buying a db-15 to hd-15 adpater for a MAC external monitor connection. I am hoping it works but I know nothing of DIP switches and its got me confused
Image


Amazon sells Dsub and HD15 connections with screw terminals for easy "one off" cords. The Mac pinout is different than the old Japanese wide two row Dsub 15 pin VGA.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2015
Posts: 47
Hoagtech wrote:
AHh man. I cant wait to use this thing.

I read that it supported 21-64hz on RGB and up to a vetical resolution of 120hz. Are you hooking it to the dsub or are those composite?

heres the spec off the broadcast store:

Model Description:
HI-rez 37" RGB, S-VHS, Composite, Data PAL/NTSC
Model Details
XC-3725C Graphics Monitor
• 24 kHz to 64 kHz RGBS Input
• Resolution: 640 x 480 to 1280 x 1025
• 1 - S-VHS Input: Line Doubles to 31.5 kHz
• 2 - Composite Inputs - NTSC/PAL
. 34"W, 23"D, 28" High. Non Stackable for multi monitor use.

Accepts RGB input signal 24kHz-64kHz horizontal and 40Hz-120Hz vertical • 35" viewable image • NTSC, M-NTSC, PAL, SECAM and RGB analog • Resolution up to 1024H x 768V • Composite video input is scan doubled • Input 1 is Composite BNC looping or RCA and S-Video switchable • Input 2 is Composite BNC or RCA • RGBS input accepts 24kHz-64kHz and is BNC in/out • Internal speakers and external speaker output •

------------------------

Also RGB rob did a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rGfxP7VLs&t=497s

and mentioned the lack of 15khz on RGB.

-------------------------

I ended buying a db-15 to hd-15 adpater for a MAC external monitor connection. I am hoping it works but I know nothing of DIP switches and its got me confused
Image


I had a similar adapter, and ended up needing to make my own adapter to get things to work. You may be able to find a DIP setup that does work, but I couldn't.

Every single photo is of RGB, via the BNC connectors. Some is native RGB from the SNES, N64, and Saturn, and others are transcoded from Component from the PS2, GC, and Wii.

I know mine is rather picky about sync and NEEEEDS cleaned composite sync. Neither Luma or standard CVid will work.

I will say the line doubling stuff does sound strange since mine also doesn't seem to do that; Just straight up support for both Composite and S-Video.

These are both S-Video from the DC, in 240p.
http://imgur.com/a/ftI6C
_________________
More scanlines than your body has room for.
No, Seriously.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1698
Location: Up on the mountains, drifting with the 86
I think I've found a use for my Sony KV-36FV300 and therefore won't send it to the trash :

It has a very nice comb filter, so composite sources look pretty good on it. And so does the Super Retro Advance .

Image

Image

Link to the full picture here :
http://i.imgur.com/lmvhRsK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hdfi33c.jpg

The colors are a tad warmer in person, which makes them look pretty balanced actually. Detail level is decent too. Of course there's some horizontal blur, but it still looks nice enough that the picture is enjoyable to me.

This also means that my spare SNES, which has a defective video output, also sees some use : it is now my Super Retro Advance machine (or power adaptor, rather)


Last edited by FinalBaton on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 1729
Location: Kentucky
You were going to trash a KV300? :(


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1698
Location: Up on the mountains, drifting with the 86
bobrocks95 wrote:
You were going to trash a KV300? :(

Had I not found a use for it, I would've offered it for free in the classified for a good while.
But if noboby would have picked it up, then I would've had to trash it, sadly. :cry:

Would've broke my heart, but I wouldn't have had any other choice. It takes a lot of room, and I already have a HUGE ass crt in the NEC (that is considerably better in almost every way).

And it's not as if I can ship that TV to someone on here : it weighs 240 lbs, lol

Plus, it would have been hard to give away, since the tube is starting to give up (I think) and there's a noticeable horizontal linearity problem on the picture. It still looks decent but... it's not as if I was trashing a perfectly fine TV.

Nevermind the fact that I am actually NOT trashing it, since I've found a use for it :P
So cheer up bobrocks!

*hugs bobrocks*


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:10 pm 



Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 43
I've already asked this question (sort of), but I thought I'd give it another shot now I understand a little more about it.

Image - Photo Courtesy of Eatenbygrues.

Now I've had a tweak around with my PVM, and used the 240p test suite to set it up so the grid pattern looks nice, vertical linearity is good etc.

When I stick on a Megadrive game, it looks similar to the photo (blue borders). I know I can use the menu settings to trim this out, and it looks good and fills the screen when I do this.
For playing on my projector with the OSSC, I can do something similar in the menus, so that the border is trimmed out, this also looks good.

The problem is if I then plug in a different console, I have to set up the monitor again for that console, it's a bit of a drag (not the end of the world, especially if you don't save the settings you dialled in for the megadrive, it will then default to the good setting once you restart the monitor).

Just wondering if there's an external processor with presets that would allow the image to be scaled a little before going to the PVM? Something RGB in RGB out? or do people just play with the borders and forget about it?

Thanks in advance,


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2015
Posts: 306
Location: Bellingham, WA
FinalBaton wrote:
Just wanted to report that I finally found an adapter that succesfully lets me use the MAC 15 pins RGB connector on the NEC. It's this one :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HD15-VGA-Monitor-Female-to-DB15-MAC-Male-Converter-Adapter-CablesOnline-AD-A03-/390558193126?hash=item5aef1515e6:g:0aIAAOSwFNZWznc-
Image

I can now use this port as an input, or as a passthrough to a capture card! It also increased the number of RGB inputs on the monitor to 4, which is quite handy (contrary to a PVM, both ports of each RGB input can be used as either input or passthrough on the NEC, meaning that as long as you don't switch on 2 consoles plugged into the same input at the same time, you can have 4 consoles plugged into the monitor.)

\
Hi FinalBaton. I was wondering since it sounds like you have similar era monitor, If you also use a sync stripper with your db-15 converter? where did you find the one with all switches? mine only has 6
And were you able to figure out a DIP setting for 480p content like the dreamcast?

Thanks FB
_________________
Copyright 1987


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1698
Location: Up on the mountains, drifting with the 86
Hoagtech wrote:
\
Hi FinalBaton. I was wondering since it sounds like you have similar era monitor, If you also use a sync stripper with your db-15 converter? where did you find the one with all switches? mine only has 6
And were you able to figure out a DIP setting for 480p content like the dreamcast?

Thanks FB

All RGB ports on my NEC require clean sync, (or sync on green), so yes I use a sync stripper on all my consoles(or get csync straight from them when possible) to then send the signal to the NEC's RGB ports. Including the one where I use the adapter you refered to.

There's an Ebay link for the adapter in my post you quoted! haha

And I have not tried the Dreamcast's 480p signal through the adapter yet. Will try it and report back.



Lastly, I checked the pinout of your Mitsu's port and compared it to the one of my NEC's port and they are different. So there's no guarantee that it will work on your monitor.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Gnomenthusiast wrote:
I've already asked this question (sort of), but I thought I'd give it another shot now I understand a little more about it.

Image - Photo Courtesy of Eatenbygrues.

Now I've had a tweak around with my PVM, and used the 240p test suite to set it up so the grid pattern looks nice, vertical linearity is good etc.

When I stick on a Megadrive game, it looks similar to the photo (blue borders). I know I can use the menu settings to trim this out, and it looks good and fills the screen when I do this.
For playing on my projector with the OSSC, I can do something similar in the menus, so that the border is trimmed out, this also looks good.

The problem is if I then plug in a different console, I have to set up the monitor again for that console, it's a bit of a drag (not the end of the world, especially if you don't save the settings you dialled in for the megadrive, it will then default to the good setting once you restart the monitor).

Just wondering if there's an external processor with presets that would allow the image to be scaled a little before going to the PVM? Something RGB in RGB out? or do people just play with the borders and forget about it?

Thanks in advance,


Every system has slightly different timing and as such the displayed pixel area will not be in the same place. To accommodate this on my monitors, I've loaded up all of my systems and adjusted the center and size so that none overscan into the image. That means my Segas are a little to the left, my SNES is a little to the right, etc.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:43 pm 



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 143
Gnomenthusiast wrote:
I've already asked this question (sort of), but I thought I'd give it another shot now I understand a little more about it.

Image - Photo Courtesy of Eatenbygrues.

Now I've had a tweak around with my PVM, and used the 240p test suite to set it up so the grid pattern looks nice, vertical linearity is good etc.

When I stick on a Megadrive game, it looks similar to the photo (blue borders). I know I can use the menu settings to trim this out, and it looks good and fills the screen when I do this.
For playing on my projector with the OSSC, I can do something similar in the menus, so that the border is trimmed out, this also looks good.

The problem is if I then plug in a different console, I have to set up the monitor again for that console, it's a bit of a drag (not the end of the world, especially if you don't save the settings you dialled in for the megadrive, it will then default to the good setting once you restart the monitor).

Just wondering if there's an external processor with presets that would allow the image to be scaled a little before going to the PVM? Something RGB in RGB out? or do people just play with the borders and forget about it?

Thanks in advance,


If you like the way the OSSC trims out the border and are not too fussed about needing it scaled to fill the screen then maybe try a DVI-RGBHV transcoder with the OSSC's 240p passthrough option. Just an idea, not actually tried it myself so can't guarantee it would work. Not 100% sure that any DVI-RGBHV trancoders would accept 240p come to think of it. It's something you would have to try and see I suppose.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 1631
Location: Canada
The 20M4E essentially has two different profile settings with easy push-button access. The "Underscan" button is essentially just a separate profile for the service menu geometry settings, and while it defaults to an underscan mode, you can set it to whatever you want. For a while, I had the "Underscan" button my my PVM doing a zoom-in for gameboy games. To save the underscan settings, first enter Underscan mode, then enter the service menu, adjust geometry, and save. The settings you changed in Underscan mode will be specific to it. You can switch back and forth between the profiles just by toggling the button.

PVMs that also have an "Overscan" button can probably use that as a third profile. It's possible that the 16:9 button works the same way, but I haven't checked.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 143
Location: Italy
I found (what used to be) a nice aperture grill CRT monitor for sale in my area (19'' lacie electron IV). Since I'd still have to travel ~40km each way to pick it up (and asking price is €50), I first required some picture of it turned on at 50% brightness in a medium-lit room. The guy (a graphic designer) provided these:

ImageImageImageImage

Last two pics are with the stock 'hood' on, first two without. Now, the only thing I can gather from them is that geometry does't look bad - due to how crappy the pics are and the dimly-lit room, image sharpness and luminosity are hard to assess. Also, what's with the heavy diagonal banding? I was expecting pics with visible horizontal scan or moire patterns but not this weird effect. Would you say it's worth to go check it out in person?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:55 pm 



Joined: 12 May 2013
Posts: 362
Xer Xian wrote:
I found (what used to be) a nice aperture grill CRT monitor for sale in my area (19'' lacie electron IV). Since I'd still have to travel ~40km each way to pick it up (and asking price is €50), I first required some picture of it turned on at 50% brightness in a medium-lit room. The guy (a graphic designer) provided these:

ImageImageImageImage

Last two pics are with the stock 'hood' on, first two without. Now, the only thing I can gather from them is that geometry does't look bad - due to how crappy the pics are and the dimly-lit room, image sharpness and luminosity are hard to assess. Also, what's with the heavy diagonal banding? I was expecting pics with visible horizontal scan or moire patterns but not this weird effect. Would you say it's worth to go check it out in person?

Aside from the weirdness with the pictures it appears to be in good shape. Probably worth a trip. If you wanted to be more certain about brightness I'd ask them to display some images with lots of dark details.

Here are some darker shots from LotR:
http://i.imgur.com/Yp7FEZS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/M2LaXgl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qYqUhRR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pETKSvE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hcLYEpB.jpg


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Refresh banding changes size, shape, and angle depending on the rate and angle of the camera. It looks normal to me.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 143
Location: Italy
Uh, didn't know that. Thanks guys, will pay a visit the coming week. I'll probably bring a dreamcast with me. :)
Those dark pics will come in handy, I can see myself buying some more CRT in the future..


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 am 



Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 43
Guspaz wrote:
The 20M4E essentially has two different profile settings with easy push-button access. The "Underscan" button is essentially just a separate profile for the service menu geometry settings, and while it defaults to an underscan mode, you can set it to whatever you want. For a while, I had the "Underscan" button my my PVM doing a zoom-in for gameboy games. To save the underscan settings, first enter Underscan mode, then enter the service menu, adjust geometry, and save. The settings you changed in Underscan mode will be specific to it. You can switch back and forth between the profiles just by toggling the button.

PVMs that also have an "Overscan" button can probably use that as a third profile. It's possible that the 16:9 button works the same way, but I haven't checked.


This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, I didn't realise that the underscan setting could be used that way, so it's very interesting!

I will do some experimentation tonight, thanks!

Using the OSSC to trim and then output to DVI -> DVI to VGA seems like a faff and might not work.

Something that does a similar job but RGBs in and out would be ideal (with profiles), but my assumption after having a look is that nothing like this exists.

Thanks for your help!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 143
Location: Italy
So, here's a few crappy pics of the two CRT monitors I ended up with, displaying some colorful DC games both with factory settings (except brightness and contrast which I set up at 50 and 75 on both):

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Mid-segment slot mask on the left, diamondtron on the right. Colors vary a lot between the two and I would bet on the Lacie being more accurate even after calibrating the LG, but as expected, there's not really much difference (that I can see) between the two in terms of sharpness/image quality in general. Also, the LG is nicer-looking and has a removable base (good for tate!), while the degaussing when turning on the Lacie is absolutely hideous, almost frightening. I feel it may blow up on me very soon. :?

Testing them with higher resolutions (5x through OSSC) would have probably made more sense, but I'm still waiting for a 2GB card to update the firmware. I bought it like two weeks ago from ebay and at this point I'm starting to think it will never show up :x

Edit: Actually, after looking better at the pics, the Lacie seems to be a tiiiny bit more focused/sharp on the frames with motion, but I would bank on it being the fault of the camera.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1698
Location: Up on the mountains, drifting with the 86
Great stuff! The LG Flattron is my fave, it looks amazing


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 143
Location: Italy
Yeah, despite paying quite a bit more for the Lacie I ended up preferring the LG too. It's a bit bulkier but also more modern-looking and composed (as in, way quieter when turning on and off). By the way, I finally managed to get hold of a compatible microsd card to update my OSSC and guess what, the LG displays Line5x while the Lacie will refuse to sync to any 5x mode. This is especially weird given that the Lacie should be able to display at 1920x1440@73Hz (according to the manual) while the LG's declared max resolution is only 1600x1200@75Hz. Multiplying lines is useless with CRT monitors (except 240p/480i of course) so I really don't care, but I was expecting the opposite result. Also, I tested the monitors with a 50Hz PAL game, and both displayed it just fine.. I thought monitors wouldn't like such a low refresh rate but maybe only LCDs would have trouble with that after all.

Just a couple more tate pictures! I flipped the Lacie on its side anyway (after literally tearing off the base :mrgreen: )

Image Image Image Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 152  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: austin532, Fudoh, kel and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group