shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:33 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:55 am 

Is there any consensus on what the best widescreen 16:9 480p plasma TV is for displaying 4:3 images?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:48 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
Nintendude94 wrote:
I have an opportunity to pick up a 20F1U for $675 locally. Only around 20,000 hours on it. I'm going to be looking at it tomorrow. This is my first time looking at a bvm over a pvm. Is this a decent price? Anything specially I should look for/know ahead of time when inspecting it?

Do you have 240p test suite on a flash cart for SNES or something you can bring?? Comes in REALLY handy if you do...

If not, punch in channels 94-99 (think that's the range) for some test grids and gray ramps - nothing in color though (which is where 240p test suite comes in handy). I would just look around for convergence issues and things like that. Make sure to let it run for like 15+ minutes as well - and see if you can get it from a cold start (i.e. you don't want him letting it warm up beforehand which can hide any potential issues which go away after it's warmed up – you can feel the back fins and see if it was recently turned on because they'll still be warm for a bit.

I don't have a flash cart, but I do have a homebrew Wii with it. I'll have to hook it up with component cables and some rca to bnc adapters. Not the most elegant solution, but it's what I have.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep all of that in mind.

Also, I know that these usually have a control deck that sits on top. Not sure if this one comes with it or not. Is that something I'm going to want to have? I'm also not sure if it has the bezel. How much should that affect the price?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 pm 

Nintendude94 wrote:
Also, I know that these usually have a control deck that sits on top. Not sure if this one comes with it or not. Is that something I'm going to want to have? I'm also not sure if it has the bezel. How much should that affect the price?

If the controls are missing, no big loss. You can pick them up for 30-50 on eBay most days. And you'll want one.

If the bezel is missing, as this community told me after I bought mine (same model), only way I'm going to find one is to buy another BVM or happen by a busted one somewhere. Whether that matters to you or not is what would determine the price difference, but your odds are slim to none on just finding and purchasing one outright.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:18 am 

Magicalbottle wrote:
lewolfeur wrote:
pick up today a 20m2 and a d20f1, but with neogeo aes have this issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Pa6U2 ... e=youtu.be

tested first with 240p test suite without problem on dreamcast.

channel 1 is set with slot 6, rgb, ext sync, vcr on or off is the same.
tested directly the cable to monitor and still same.
tested also with other card still same problem
Dont know what is wrong :roll:

I have the exact same problem wth my aes and pvm 2950. Other consoles work fine, the aes has been modded for rgb and stereo. try using a sync stripper.

tested with a sync stripper, still same issue, also my barco cvm-3051 dislike the neogeo aes.
there my test with my multiformat (dt-v1900cg, d20f1,1990r) the last picture is the barco.

http://imgur.com/a/YTTZI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:01 am 

Ended up getting that 20F1U. It looks pretty fantastic; great condition! I do have a couple questions though.

All of my systems are playing fine on it, except the ps2 (use it for ps1 games/ps2 light gun games). The ps2 seems to have a sync issue. It's the only console that's hooked up with sync-on-luma. Is there anything I'd have to do different for sync on luma? Is it just not supported for this monitor? Do I need to switch to a c-sync cable?

Also, the edges of the picture kind of wave/flicker when the screen is displaying a bright image. I played for about an hour today and it wore off (and briefly came back) over time. Anything to worry about?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:01 am 

Nintendude94 wrote:
All of my systems are playing fine on it, except the ps2 (use it for ps1 games/ps2 light gun games). The ps2 seems to have a sync issue. It's the only console that's hooked up with sync-on-luma. Is there anything I'd have to do different for sync on luma? Is it just not supported for this monitor? Do I need to switch to a c-sync cable?

On the PS2, make sure it's in 480i mode (the majority of PS2 games are in 480i not 480p), and I'm assuming this is a RGBs SCART cable so you want the color space (in the setup menu) to be YPbPr. On your monitor you want it set to RGB and External Sync - see if that helps.

Can't help you with your other problem I'm sorry to say...most people say to any problem: "recap it"!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 am 

Been catching up on my TV viewing this evening. 12 or 14" PVM sighting in Preacher S02E08. One of the characters misidentifies it as a normal TV. For shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 am 

I've spotted a PVM on a TV program as well - it's a running program in Italy and the PVM is used to display live feeds from guests who couldn't come to the studio:

Now, about the guy that's on the second row to the left.. do you think his interest is piqued by the PVM or by the girl next to him? :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 am 

Maybe just the horritastic dress. :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:25 am 

Xer Xian wrote:
I've spotted a PVM on a TV program as well - it's a running program in Italy and the PVM is used to display live feeds from guests who couldn't come to the studio:

Its a Barco, the model must be a cvm-3051, they covered the barco button that lights orange with black scotch or was removed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:01 pm 

There are lots of Sony 2030s and such used in the show Friends.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:50 pm 

You guys should see Until the End of the World. The director's cut has plenty of professional CRTs from Sony in it, like these...

http://imgur.com/a/1KB89

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:45 pm 

The Negotiator trailer https://youtu.be/LJ1pS1W0XXg?t=56s

Other things I've seen PVMs in:

Robocop, scene where he plugs his data spike into police records database a PVM-2010

Hollowman scenes in base corridors PVM-204x hanging from walls
Bloodwork security tape played back on PVM-204x
New Adventures of Superman various episodes PVM-2030
X-Files various episodes PVM-2030
Law and Order/ Law and Order SVU various episodes PVM-2030

... and episodes of Murder she wrote and Colombo when they visit TV studios as part of the story PVM-2030

I can't stop seeing PVMs in everything!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:55 pm 

Quote:
On the PS2, make sure it's in 480i mode (the majority of PS2 games are in 480i not 480p), and I'm assuming this is a RGBs SCART cable so you want the color space (in the setup menu) to be YPbPr. On your monitor you want it set to RGB and External Sync - see if that helps.

Can't help you with your other problem I'm sorry to say...most people say to any problem: "recap it"!

I got it figured out. Not sure what was causing it, but it works fine now.

On the PVMs in movies topic. I recently noticed one in Professor X's bunker in Logan.

And some of the later seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm have PVMs on a set for a movie Larry is filming in the show.

I drive my wife crazy pointing them out all of the time. Lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:58 am 

22point8 wrote:
The Negotiator trailer https://youtu.be/LJ1pS1W0XXg?t=56s

Other things I've seen PVMs in:

Robocop, scene where he plugs his data spike into police records database a PVM-2010

Hollowman scenes in base corridors PVM-204x hanging from walls
Bloodwork security tape played back on PVM-204x
New Adventures of Superman various episodes PVM-2030
X-Files various episodes PVM-2030
Law and Order/ Law and Order SVU various episodes PVM-2030

... and episodes of Murder she wrote and Colombo when they visit TV studios as part of the story PVM-2030

I can't stop seeing PVMs in everything!

have you guys seen these? :shock:

Poppy - Computer Boy (Official Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ao5mg11xIk

I'm Poppy - Official Lyric Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vUxVwb_G8

(think it might be a Commodore or Amiga monitor, but I'm not sure)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:36 pm 

The original Jon Stewart show intro has a cubic PVM or two at the start.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:02 pm 

There's like, an entire wall of PVM in Ant Man.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 pm 

I finally got my new printed power button for the TM-H1950CG working. Reassembled the set and everything worked great.

I rotated it, as this was bought to be my TATE screen, and now I have a lovely rainbow of discoloration. I'm a bit bummed by this since it's my 4th screen I've rotated (TV, PC CRT, 15" version of this same family) and it's the first one to give me trouble.

I'm going to let it sit a while before messing with it. I hope I didn't damage the degauss coil :|

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160