shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:39 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:47 pm 

I have a few BVMs, and PVMs and I'm noticing something odd on each of them that I'm not seeing on a consumer set that I also have...

There's a ghosting / streaking effect that is happening on these sets that is very apparent when there is a black background. Examples:

1. The starting menu of Chrono Trigger, with the clock pendulum swinging on the black background. There is some streaking that follows the pendulum.
2. In Super Metroid, when you enter a new room and the screen drags in that direction on the black background, there is streaking from the door.
3. In Gradius 3, the whole first level takes place on a black background. Everything is streaking from the ship to the enemies. It's extremely noticeable and distracting.

Every single PVM and BVM I've tried this on has this issue, which is making me think its not a coincidence. Additionally, my BVMs with low hours (< 30k) also have this issue. Everything I'm testing this on has the SMPTE-C phosphor, with the exception of the consumer set which I'm not sure about phosphor-wise (The consumer set does NOT have this issue).

Is this this a property of the phosphor, or is something else an issue here? Is there a way to fix it?

If it's a common thing, I'm shocked more people aren't talking about it, since it's quite a distraction in games with a black background like Gradius.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 am 

Thanks Sgt.Wafer, I wasn't sure they were since they don't have the wavy symbol next to them on the back :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 am 

I think what you are seeing are phosphor trails, basically high contrast stuff against a black background produces a greenish trail effect that takes a few frames to disappear.

From my own experience each CRT does this to various degrees. If I recall, I think the severity of it depends upon the green phosphor in the tubes. Your eyes pick up on the streaking with high contrast black backgrounds because the half life of the green phosphor's light to disappear takes significantly longer than blue and red/they don't all turn off at once. At least this is what I've read up and surmised.

I've noticed excessive contrast makes it a lot more noticeable as well. In any case I would learn to live with it.

Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 am 

Yeah that is the phosphors taking longer to settle down after being excited. Nothing to worry about, it's just the technology

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 pm 

Playing in a well lit room is supposed to help how much of that you see to a minimum.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:25 pm 

Hey, don't know if this is the place to post this but figured I'd ask.

I picked up a BVM D20F1U and want to hook up some svideo to it. Other than the BKM-24N, is there a better option?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:43 pm 

mheyman wrote:

I picked up a BVM D20F1U and want to hook up some svideo to it. Other than the BKM-24N, is there a better option?

For s-video, you would need either the BKM-24N (NTSC), the BKM-25P (PAL), or the BKM-27T (NTSC/PAL/SECAM).

It looks like there is a 24N available now on eBay for $100. I think that is a fair price and it looks like it is being sold by Sony.

The BKM-27T is technically the "best" option, but those are rare. I haven't seen one in years.

Good luck!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:34 am 

philexile wrote:
mheyman wrote:

For s-video, you would need either the BKM-24N (NTSC), the BKM-25P (PAL), or the BKM-27T (NTSC/PAL/SECAM).

It looks like there is a 24N available now on eBay for $100. I think that is a fair price and it looks like it is being sold by Sony.

The BKM-27T is technically the "best" option, but those are rare. I haven't seen one in years.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response! I guess I was curious about other solutions outside of the BVM. Like svideo to component converters and stuff.

Either way, got the guy down to 80 bucks so i picked it up.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157