Hi there. This is an older subject, but I just took on this project, exactly as outlined in the lead post. I am hoping there are still some folks in this forum that are willing to discuss.
I figured it was an affordable way to check things out - if I throw my money away, at least it's not a ton of money. I think the circuit is working, but perhaps I've done nothing, lol. I can certainly follow a schematic, and while my soldering skills kinda suck, they get me by. I used a non-tinned prototyping board to set this up, so you won't see cut traces. (I've got some pictures but you can't really see the circuit, I'll get on that and post again)
I am able to get a fantastic picture from my Saturn. Nothing else I've tried works.
I'm in a bit of an odd situation. SCART headers weren't exactly easy to find, so while I ordered one, it's yet to arrive from the UK (it's been weeks). In the mean time, I'm trying to use bare wire leads to test functionality.
1. Saturn - works fantastically.
2. Genesis, Model 1, DRM chip / high def graphics version - no signal.
3. Genesis + 32X - "signal" with proper colors. But cut up into what looks like quarters or something, flashing on screen, jumping around - total mess. Assume a sync issue?
4. SMS - no signal.
No other systems yet tried. Anyone have a suggestion of something that I could try with these silly wires?
My next test will be to try to run the Saturn in without the sync cleaner, as a ghetto test to see if the sync cleaner is doing anything.
Which systems should I be bypassing the sync cleaner on, if any? There was a post earlier in the thread stating that a csync+this chip=problems.
I need to come up with some way of clipping the wires onto SNES, Jaguar, etc to test those systems out. The wait on this SCART header is killing me... and I have to say, I don't know about blindly throwing money at SCART cables until I'm at least reasonably sure I've not cocked the whole thing up (cause here in the states, they're $20-40 each).
As a bit of a "haha", here's what I've spent so far, I literally have overpaid for EVERYTHING and the project is still affordable:
$32 on the scaler
$8 for wires (jeez)
$8 for the stripper chip
$5 for the caps (30 of em)
$4 for the resistor (100 of em)
$6 for the prototyping board (jeez!)
$6 for a DIN header that didn't even fit to the Genesis as the top two pins were aligned slightly differently (*facepalm*)
$7 for crimp pins that I figured would make it easier to test these wires with that didn't actually fit into anything (*facepalm*)
$9 for the power supply
$10.50 for the SCART header I haven't received yet
So ~$100 which, you know, I could have cut in half, but it's not like the kids are going unfed or anything. Some people go to casinos, I gamble on electronic stuff.
Listen, I know this is terrible looking, but here's where I'm at so far: http://imgur.com/a/yxLAw
I'll get better pictures together of the chip set up, but importantly please understand that these pictures represent absolutely ZERO cable management at all.