shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:32 pm 



Joined: 07 Apr 2016
Posts: 762
Location: Ohio
Are 75 OHM BNC Terminators applied to connections that you are using or aren't using?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Posts: 949
They stop the daisy chain so you use them if you're not continuing the signal to another display.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:24 pm 



Joined: 07 Apr 2016
Posts: 762
Location: Ohio
Einzelherz wrote:
They stop the daisy chain so you use them if you're not continuing the signal to another display.

So only on used connections? I heard it's also used to prevent the signal to reflect back on itself which would cause video distortion such as noise, ghosting, artifacts, etc.?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:45 pm 



Joined: 01 Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Hello! :)
I need some advice. Does anybody have experience with the "Kramer vp-703sc scan converter"? I can buy one very cheap, but I don't know if I can use it for retro gaming.

It can convert a VGA signal to analog RGB but is it comparable to the extron emotia units? Does it output 240p? Can I combine it with a extron RGB interface to get some good effects?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Posts: 949
Is a self terminating BNC connector a function of the board it's on or are there double connectors that have it inherently?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 am 



Joined: 07 Apr 2016
Posts: 762
Location: Ohio
Which consoles have the best S-Video output (compared to their RGB output and compared to other consoles)?

SNES
N64
Genesis
Master System
PS1
PS2
GameCube
Saturn


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:45 am 



Joined: 10 Jul 2017
Posts: 8
Is there a perceptible quality difference between CSYNC and sync-on-luma?
I have a 1CHIP-03 Super Famicom that (probably) doesn't support CSYNC, and I also ask because of all the discussion around SCART cables not being made correctly. The MLiG Saturn episode also suggested a sync-on-luma cable over CSYNC to avoid issues. I understand some equipment requires CSYNC, but which I'm not sure of. PVM/BVM's?

Edit: Changed "GSYNC" to "CSYNC" :)


Last edited by TestType on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 pm 



Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 322
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
GSYNC is something you'll find on the GPUs by Nvidia, not on retro consoles. ;)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm 



Joined: 10 Jul 2017
Posts: 8
nissling wrote:
GSYNC is something you'll find on the GPUs by Nvidia, not on retro consoles. ;)

That's embarrassing! Fixed.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 pm 



Joined: 10 Jul 2010
Posts: 20
Still trying to wrap my head around all this TTL/75 ohm/ect csync stuff. Just wanted to confirm if I have the right idea here.

Because I'm using a crosspoint, I need csync. Most consoles I see that output csync on their own, have suggested components to add to the line to bring them to 75ohm. However, everything in my setup accepts TTL I think (PVM, Crosspoint, Super Emotia, RGB 201).

In fact, only the first 4 inputs on my crosspoint have a switch for 75ohm.

So if I'm getting this into my thick skull, for my situation, I don't need to worry about getting the sync to 75ohm by adding components in my cables. Same goes for if I have to use any sync strippers, as the common way they're made outputs TTL correct?

Image

What do you think sirs?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7512
GeneraLight wrote:
Which consoles have the best S-Video output (compared to their RGB output and compared to other consoles)?

SNES
N64
Genesis
Master System
PS1
PS2
GameCube
Saturn


The Atari Jaguar outputs in S-Video with it's 1st-party official S-Video cable setup courtesy of Atari themselves back in 1993-1994.

With the SNES & the Gamecube, you'd use the same A/V cable setup (assuming if it has either RCA composite video and/or S-Video outputs).

The PS1/PSOne/PS2 and PS3 consoles (via the A/V port) all are able to output in S-Video with the right PSX S-Video cable setup -- looks awesome on one of those old-school CRT-based Sony Trinitrons TV monitors equipped with S-Video input.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 10437
Location: Germany
@RottenToTheGore: yes, everything correct. You don't need to worry about feeding TTL sync into your switch or passing it from the switch to your displays.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 pm 



Joined: 07 Apr 2016
Posts: 762
Location: Ohio
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:
Which consoles have the best S-Video output (compared to their RGB output and compared to other consoles)?

SNES
N64
Genesis
Master System
PS1
PS2
GameCube
Saturn


The Atari Jaguar outputs in S-Video with it's 1st-party official S-Video cable setup courtesy of Atari themselves back in 1993-1994.

With the SNES & the Gamecube, you'd use the same A/V cable setup (assuming if it has either RCA composite video and/or S-Video outputs).

The PS1/PSOne/PS2 and PS3 consoles (via the A/V port) all are able to output in S-Video with the right PSX S-Video cable setup -- looks awesome on one of those old-school CRT-based Sony Trinitrons TV monitors equipped with S-Video input.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Thank you, but that doesn't really answer my question.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buttersoft, Fu-Sheng, Link83, Yahoo [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group