shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:10 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Ultracade Universal Video Converter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:34 pm 

It looks like it's either sync or video ground related. Are you 100% sure your soldering is good on the adapter you've made and that the wires are hooked up to the right places?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:17 am 

emphatic wrote:
It looks like it's either sync or video ground related. Are you 100% sure your soldering is good on the adapter you've made and that the wires are hooked up to the right places?

The UVC will work in my Sega Astro City and give a clear picture, but my Dance Dance Revolution machine's monitor gives me that dirty sync issue. It's odd as I don't have that issue with normal PCBs or even a MiniMaid (it's like a JPAC, but made especially for DDR machines).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:55 am 

Maybe you should seperate the sync wires going to JAMMA and use the DIPs depending on what cab it's used in? Gives you options to try at least.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:09 am 

emphatic wrote:
Maybe you should seperate the sync wires going to JAMMA and use the DIPs depending on what cab it's used in? Gives you options to try at least.

Okay, I tried hooking up just the V Sync wire, but the picture looked the same on my DDR machine.

And here's where things get really weird. I hooked up one of the Chinese VGA TO CGA GBS-8100 boards...and the picture is perfect on my DDR machine. It can only take a 480p VGA signal from the Wii (480i splits in half, stacked), but it's a very stable and crisp picture. >_>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:42 pm 

I don't know if it has been reported before but the UVC can accept sync on green VGA (at least in 640x480)

I realized this with a PS2. I was running through an extron 130xi to make standard VGA but I accidentally set output to SOG. To my surprise it sync'd with correct colors. So I removed the extron and confirmed it truly worked.

I have a second to last firmware version, 2.04. Tested with Gradius V (looks amazing!)

Added: Gradius IV looks rock'n too. Using Xploder HDTV for both btw.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:31 am 

Recently there has been a flood of these wonderful devices on eBay. They all come with the standard 2.04 firmware. A couple years back I purchased my current UVC from a forum member here. To my surprise, it has the "rare" 2.10 version!! (see attached image).

The UVC does have the programming interface port on it. Anyone ever figure out how to rewrite the firmware (or dump it??)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:07 pm 

I recently got a UVC and I'm trying to use it on my PVM, but I'm running into a few issues. The picture is too large I have to use overscan to see all of it, the picture is shifted to the left, and it seems sort of blurry. The PC is running at 640 x 480. Does anyone know if there's anything i can do to fix those issues without going into the PVM's service menu? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:35 pm 

pigswill wrote:
I recently got a UVC and I'm trying to use it on my PVM, but I'm running into a few issues. The picture is too large I have to use overscan to see all of it, the picture is shifted to the left, and it seems sort of blurry. The PC is running at 640 x 480. Does anyone know if there's anything i can do to fix those issues without going into the PVM's service menu? Any help would be appreciated.

take a look at above picture. UVC output is 320x240 not 640x480.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:04 pm 

leonk wrote:
pigswill wrote:

take a look at above picture. UVC output is 320x240 not 640x480.

I meant the PC input is 640x480

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:46 pm 

Did you have to turn your brightness way down? Arcade RGB signals are higher, this is why superguns pass them through resistors first. Doing this would only possibly fix your brurryness.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:57 am 

Just a heads up, if anyone is making their own adapter for this, the part #s for the RGB and power connectors and pins are below.

RGBHVG connector

Digikey part # WM2115-ND
Manuf part # 0009508063 CONN HOUSING 6POS .156 W/POLAR

Digikey part # WM2300-ND
Manuf part # 0008500106 CONN TERM FEMALE 18-24AWG TIN

POWER connector

Digikey part # WM6982-ND
Manuf part # 0015244048 CONN HOUSING 4POS .200 VERTICAL

Digikey part # WM2293CT-ND
Manuf part # 0002081201 CONN TERM FEMALE 14-20AWG TIN

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:48 pm 

Questions - trying to put a Taito Type x2 into an Egreet II cab with a Nanao MS9 monitor.. How should the Jamma finger board be wired (video, power sync etc) and what are the settings on the UVC? Does the Taype x2 system work with the UVC? Any one here got that working?

thank you for reading and for your feedback..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:09 pm 

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:
Questions - trying to put a Taito Type x2 into an Egreet II cab with a Nanao MS9 monitor.. How should the Jamma finger board be wired (video, power sync etc) and what are the settings on the UVC? Does the Taype x2 system work with the UVC? Any one here got that working?

If the X2 can output in the supported resolutions, it should be fine.

Wire R, G, B to the corresponding pins on the fingerboard and also VIDEO GND and VIDEO SYNC. I wired both H/V sync to the JAMMA sync on mine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:21 pm 

@Emphatic - Thanks for the reply...what should the jumper settings be on the UVC? Also do you see any difference in picture quality between 15khz and 24khz? any preference?

emphatic wrote:
SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:

If the X2 can output in the supported resolutions, it should be fine.

Wire R, G, B to the corresponding pins on the fingerboard and also VIDEO GND and VIDEO SYNC. I wired both H/V sync to the JAMMA sync on mine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:29 pm 

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:
@Emphatic - Thanks for the reply...what should the jumper settings be on the UVC? Also do you see any difference in picture quality between 15khz and 24khz? any preference?

For high res stuff, 24kHz looks really good IMHO. 15kHz looks great for pixel art though. If your cabinet's mostly used for regular JAMMA games, I would go with 15kHz, at least for setting everything up and seeing that it all works as expected. I always use 480p output for my high res usage, even though 800x600 and 1024x768 works as well. The most important thing is 60hz, or the UVC will only report the resolution used in the splash screen without actually giving you a game image. For DIP settings, please refer to the manual after you've seen the splash screen on your monitor and you can see the available firmware info.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:39 pm 

Great.. thank you very much for the feedback:)

emphatic wrote:
SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:

For high res stuff, 24kHz looks really good IMHO. 15kHz looks great for pixel art though. If your cabinet's mostly used for regular JAMMA games, I would go with 15kHz, at least for setting everything up and seeing that it all works as expected. I always use 480p output for my high res usage, even though 800x600 and 1024x768 works as well. The most important thing is 60hz, or the UVC will only report the resolution used in the splash screen without actually giving you a game image. For DIP settings, please refer to the manual after you've seen the splash screen on your monitor and you can see the available firmware info.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7