shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 1:14 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 347, 348, 349, 350, 351, 352  Next
 Post subject: Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 am 

theclaw wrote:
NYI wrote:
Hey guys, currently trying out a Wii ---> Component ---> Garo ---> ----> retro_console_accessories passive Euro Scart to FM Cable ---> FM setup. Getting interference lines moving up the screen. Here's a video:
https://vid.me/wZB8

So previously, using either S-video or component ---> d-terminal ---> FM, I didn't receive this problem. Is this the fault of the Garo? The power supply connected to it? This RGB cable? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X1 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is the PSU for the Garo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018O ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm stumped. What's the objective of that convoluted experiment?

Wii ---> Component ---> D-Terminal is way simpler.
https://solarisjapan.com/products/d-terminal-to-component-adapter-cable-female

I'd heard that the Mini processes the RGB input better - so I figured I'd give it a shot. EDIT: Meant to say D-terminal before, not mini-din.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:09 am 

Hm, try the power supply first.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:25 am 

theclaw wrote:
Hm, try the power supply first.

Thanks- I'll give it a shot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:10 am 

Hi all, I've been a happy owner of the Framemeister for about a year now and it's by far the best investment I've ever made for my retro gaming needs. Never did I think I could get my old consoles looking this good on a modern television! However, I just hit a bit of a hurdle and need some assistance. I was trying out one of FirebrandX's newer universal 1080p Saturn settings while using an S-Video cable, and while the picture was phenomenal, there was constant flickering when I turned the scanlines on. I decided to try switching over to 720p to see if there'd be a difference and there wasn't, so I hit the reset button on the Framemeister's remote to I could fiddle with some settings from scratch, then I turned the zoom function off because the image was zoomed in too close... and then I got this "unsupported" message I'd never seen before, and I can't get out of it. None of the buttons on the remote will work and neither will the upscaler's buttons, so I can't change the settings back or turn it off at all. I would have simply unplugged it, but after spending around $420 on a piece of hardware I can't afford to replace, I'd much rather ask around here for advice before resorting to that. Thank you in advance!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:30 am 

In case anyone encounters the same problem, it was the power supply.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:56 pm 

@Gungrave : Try to hold the SAFETY button for a moment, it should force you back to 480p.
http://videoff7.free.fr/FMremote.JPG

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:15 pm 

A PC-Engine is currently on its way to my house courtesy of RetroRGB. I'll be making 1080 and 720 profiles for it stat!

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:44 pm 

FBX wrote:
A PC-Engine is currently on its way to my house courtesy of RetroRGB. I'll be making 1080 and 720 profiles for it stat!

Great!! You reckon it will output exactly the same as a TG16 and/or Turbo Duo?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm 

Does anyone know how to disassembly an XRGB-Mini? My unit is fine, but my friend need some help with his as there seem to be something wrong with the 5V fuse on the HDMI board. Other than not being able to deliver 5V through HDMI anymore, it works perfectly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:22 pm 

he emailed me yesterday as well. You just need a nylon spudger to move around the case to release the clips. I just can't remember if there were any additional screws in place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:30 pm 

I know, I asked him to get in touch with you. ;)

There is a screw on the bottom but that was everything we could find.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:38 pm 

axlblazeadam wrote:
FBX wrote:

Technically what I got in the mail was a Turb-Duo with Voultar's amazing RGB board. Quite simply the sharpest and pure analog RGB I've seen yet on these old consoles!

But yeah, I expect the video output should be pretty much identical between systems, but of course my profiles will be based on Voultar's mod. Also, I'll just be doing the common resolution of 256x224/240 since most of the library uses that, and I have to do 720, 4x-1080, and 5x-1080 for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:26 pm 

FBX wrote:
axlblazeadam wrote:
FBX wrote:

Technically what I got in the mail was a Turb-Duo with Voultar's amazing RGB board. Quite simply the sharpest and pure analog RGB I've seen yet on these old consoles!

But yeah, I expect the video output should be pretty much identical between systems, but of course my profiles will be based on Voultar's mod. Also, I'll just be doing the common resolution of 256x224/240 since most of the library uses that, and I have to do 720, 4x-1080, and 5x-1080 for it.

Awesome, my Turbo Duo has been RGB modded too, so should be close or same. Can't wait to check it out!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:53 pm 

I've just bought this https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MG279Q/ Anyone had issues with the FM with this or other 2k monitors? I haven't tried it yet, I think I will.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:58 am 

What do you guys make of this? See the horizontal interference pattern (especially near his feet)?

http://i.picpar.com/9rsc.jpg

I get this from the Framemeister when running through ANY Scart switch. The gscartsw, the hydra and the Bandridge all cause this problem. Tried many different SCART cables with no luck. Image is flawless when viewed on a PVM from the same switches (with gscart outputting to both simultaneously) but exhibits this noise on the Framemeister.

...but, as I've noted before, when plugging a console directly into the Framemeister without a switch, these issues are eliminated completely and it looks perfect. The problem also only occurs on RGB input - S-video and component switches do not present this problem at all. Something is interfering with the signal and it's driving me nuts.

I have multiple mini-din to SCART connections as well including one with the USB powered sync stripper - that one actually DOES improve the image. When using the other plugs, the interference is infinitely worse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 pm 

New package update!

Code:

Package version date: April 14th, 2017

Added Turbo-Duo profiles for the standard 256x224/240 res mode (the vast majority of games use this mode). A Turbo-Duo with Voultar's superb RGB board mod was used, but these profiles 'should' work for unmodded TG consoles anyway. If you want a perfect RGB picture, I highly recommend getting Voultar's RGB mod. The profiles are as follows:

TDUO720 : 720p profile for 3x-scale and aspect correction.

32TDUO4X : 1080p profile for 4x-scale and aspect correction.

33TDUO5X : 1080p profile for 5x-scale and aspect correction.

Important new notes:

1. Several complaints have come in about profiles loading into a blank screen and seemingly not working. In every case, this was due to people using an input mode other than RGB. Since I save the default video input variable as RGB, the profile will show a blank screen when the user tries to load it on composite video input for example. If this happens, all you have to do is wait about 15 seconds after loading the profile, then press the input button you want to use on the Framemeister's remote. It will switch over to it after about 10 seconds and your picture should come up just fine. If you want to avoid this hassle in the future, simply re-save the profile after switching to the proper input, and it will change the default input source to your preferred input the next time you load the profile.

2. 4k TV users have been discovering strange frame rate issues when attempting to use the Framemeister on them. It seems most of these issues can be solved by changing the Sync_Mode to "Off" instead of "Auto". However, keep in mind that the frame rate will now behave like most emulators, where it will look smooth most of the time, but occasionally the frame rate will jump or stall in order to re-sync with the console.

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/framemeisterprofiles-2017-414.zip

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:22 pm 

nissling wrote:

Oh well, he found another one and managed to disassemble it. The fuse was blown and will be replaced ASAP.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:44 pm 

nissling wrote:
nissling wrote:

Oh well, he found another one and managed to disassemble it. The fuse was blown and will be replaced ASAP.

Interesting, could you possibly ask him to take pics of the Mini in disassembled state? I don't think I've ever seen the insides ^^

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:40 pm 

There's a possibility he'll even make a Youtube video about the repair, so that would probably be more interesting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:46 am 

FBX wrote:
New package update!

Code:

Package version date: April 14th, 2017

Added Turbo-Duo profiles for the standard 256x224/240 res mode (the vast majority of games use this mode). A Turbo-Duo with Voultar's superb RGB board mod was used, but these profiles 'should' work for unmodded TG consoles anyway. If you want a perfect RGB picture, I highly recommend getting Voultar's RGB mod. The profiles are as follows:

TDUO720 : 720p profile for 3x-scale and aspect correction.

32TDUO4X : 1080p profile for 4x-scale and aspect correction.

33TDUO5X : 1080p profile for 5x-scale and aspect correction.

Important new notes:

1. Several complaints have come in about profiles loading into a blank screen and seemingly not working. In every case, this was due to people using an input mode other than RGB. Since I save the default video input variable as RGB, the profile will show a blank screen when the user tries to load it on composite video input for example. If this happens, all you have to do is wait about 15 seconds after loading the profile, then press the input button you want to use on the Framemeister's remote. It will switch over to it after about 10 seconds and your picture should come up just fine. If you want to avoid this hassle in the future, simply re-save the profile after switching to the proper input, and it will change the default input source to your preferred input the next time you load the profile.

2. 4k TV users have been discovering strange frame rate issues when attempting to use the Framemeister on them. It seems most of these issues can be solved by changing the Sync_Mode to "Off" instead of "Auto". However, keep in mind that the frame rate will now behave like most emulators, where it will look smooth most of the time, but occasionally the frame rate will jump or stall in order to re-sync with the console.

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/framemeisterprofiles-2017-414.zip

Since I switched Sync Mode to "Off", I have indeed not seen the "tearing" issue anymore*. But I would like to ask for clarification on the "frame-skipping" side effect that you guys say it comes with.

How will this effect game play? Playing twitch games (Megaman, Punch-Out, Street Fighter, etc.) will it hamper the experience, or distract from the gameplay? Or is it unnoticeable and mainly an issue that just affects authenticity?

*Side Question: Before I turned Sync Mode "OFF", I tried to set my Samsung HDTV to an aspect ratio of 4:3, and set the Franemeister aspect ratio to 4:3, and I got less instances of "tearing"...at times none at all noticeable. Sync Mode was still set to "ON" on the framemeister. Does this make sense, or could this just be my imagination?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 am 

farankoshan wrote:

Since I switched Sync Mode to "Off", I have indeed not seen the "tearing" issue anymore*. But I would like to ask for clarification on the "frame-skipping" side effect that you guys say it comes with.

How will this effect game play? Playing twitch games (Megaman, Punch-Out, Street Fighter, etc.) will it hamper the experience, or distract from the gameplay? Or is it unnoticeable and mainly an issue that just affects authenticity?

*Side Question: Before I turned Sync Mode "OFF", I tried to set my Samsung HDTV to an aspect ratio of 4:3, and set the Franemeister aspect ratio to 4:3, and I got less instances of "tearing"...at times none at all noticeable. Sync Mode was still set to "ON" on the framemeister. Does this make sense, or could this just be my imagination?

I noticed the screen jumping with sync turned off and found it looked the same as emulators like Kega Fusion for example, where every 20 to 30 seconds, there's a frame jump or skip to keep pace with the game. It can be a little distracting if you become aware of it.

On your side question, I can't imagine why AR correction would help frame sync, but I honestly don't know how UHDTVs behave in general as I do not own one myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:44 pm 

An awesome new video from MLiG on various scart & JP21 switchers, and the issues that can come up when using them with the Framemeister:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998tBzpJhVo&feature=youtu.be

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:53 pm 

Hi FBX, I finally got my Framemeister and began tinkering around with the settings.
Since I am using PAL consoles some things need to be a bit different (e.g. 240p is actually 320x240 instead of 320x224) than they are in your profiles.

I would like to create nice PAL profiles for myself, but am still puzzled about what the individual settings actually do, especially regarding scaling.

So my question would be:

* Given an input resolution of X (e.g. 320x240)...
* ... what is your reasoning of choosing VISUAL / ZOOM settings...
* ... to achieve 4x/5x integer scales (targetting 1920x1080)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:18 am 

RaphM wrote:
Hi FBX, I finally got my Framemeister and began tinkering around with the settings.
Since I am using PAL consoles some things need to be a bit different (e.g. 240p is actually 320x240 instead of 320x224) than they are in your profiles.

I would like to create nice PAL profiles for myself, but am still puzzled about what the individual settings actually do, especially regarding scaling.

So my question would be:

* Given an input resolution of X (e.g. 320x240)...
* ... what is your reasoning of choosing VISUAL / ZOOM settings...
* ... to achieve 4x/5x integer scales (targetting 1920x1080)?

We also have 320x240 consoles here in the States. It's just that the timing and positioning is different over here, and so my settings don't really work for PAL gamers (and hence why I never suggest them for that format). A couple weeks back I had a rather obsessive PAL gamer email me over and over screen captures while I guided him through various settings and aspect ratio correction until he got all his consoles spot-on, but I'd rather not go through all that again. :-P

In regards to VISUAL and ZOOM settings, they typically have to be combined in order to zero-in on a perfect integer of the game graphics being displayed. How you tell when you've nailed it perfect is by turning on the scanline function from the remote. If the scanlines are all perfectly spaced all the way up and down the screen, you've nailed it. If even one line is not uniform, it shows up pretty blatantly, and you know you still have work to do. VISUAL_SET tends to allow for more 'fine tuning' than ZOOM functions do, but you will need to combine both in just about every case. Also VISUAL_SET allows you to crop garbage in the overscan areas so it doesn't show up on the screen, and then you use ZOOM to shape the game image back down to a proper aspect ratio once the garbage is blocked from view. In fact I have some personal profiles I use that completely mask the colored borders from all sides on Master System and Genesis games, but I found they were too specific to my equipment to suggest them to the general public.

Anyway, in a lot of NTSC consoles, I often find that 4x scale lands on ZOOM_OVERSCAN = 90 and VISUAL_SET's V_WIDTH = 29 as a typical combination. But again, that's for NTSC formats. It's just to give you an example of how I end up having to combine the two functions in order to force a perfect integer scale of the graphics. Also keep in mind that adjusting ZOOM functions does not update the scanline function's application, so you have to turn scanlines off and back on again after each adjustment to see your progress.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:10 am 

If a XRGBM2 happens, we need a 1440P mode to allow for good PAL scaling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:26 am 

Thanks for your answer, I already feared that verifying an integer scale would be a cumbersome manual task.

Some more questions (I will include those in my document linked below):
* What's the difference between using ZOOM_H_POS vs. H_POS (also for ZOOM_V_POS vs. V_POS)?

I already found your post (viewtopic.php?p=1137547#p1137547) where you describe the different implementation of those (first apply H_POS in the "visual phase", then apply ZOOM_H_POS in the "zoom phase"), but I still don't grasp the _effective_ difference of those settings - the outcome of both seems to be the same.
I currently simply prefer ZOOM_H_POS because it does not cause a blackout of the framemeister.

* The described "scanline method" sounds like it only works for verifying integer-scale of the vertical resolution (I'm not at home so I can't check atm), how to verify the horizontal resolution?
* After cropping the picture using H_WIDTH, the original aspect ratio is lost and needs to be restored via ZOOM_WIDTH - is there an easy way to verify the correct aspect ratio - also for non-integer scales? (Easier than capturing and measuring pixels :) )

If anybody is interested, I gathered everything I could research about framemeister scaling settings here and plan to update the doc as I get answers here / get more knoweledge in general: https://github.com/RaphMad/framemeister_scaling

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:42 pm 

RaphM wrote:

* What's the difference between using ZOOM_H_POS vs. H_POS (also for ZOOM_V_POS vs. V_POS)?

The best I can describe it is the VISUAL_SET versions of those functions are applied before the ZOOM functions are even considered. In other words, H_POS shifts the incoming signal, while ZOOM_H_POS only shifts the zoomed image. You'll find some of the ZOOM functions won't even work if ZOOM_SIZE is set to 100.

How this is important is on aligning the incoming signal. For example, I was doing profiles for a console a couple weeks back when I noticed the incoming signal was being cut off at the bottom, even though there was still plenty of room on the screen. I had to use VISUAL_SET's V_POS to shift the incoming signal upwards a few pixels, which would not have worked using ZOOM_V_POS because ZOOM_V_POS only applies to post-zoomed images. Hopefully this makes some sense.

Quote:
I currently simply prefer ZOOM_H_POS because it does not cause a blackout of the framemeister.

Unfortunately if you want to master integer scaling and signal alignment, you have to get used to the blackouts. You can get the image to come back by pressing the input button on the remote that corresponds to the feed you are using (i.e. pressing the RGB button will bring the image back when working with RGB sources). Keep in mind it takes a good 15 seconds to retrieve the image this way. Interestingly, the blackouts do not happen in 720p mode.

Quote:
* The described "scanline method" sounds like it only works for verifying integer-scale of the vertical resolution (I'm not at home so I can't check atm), how to verify the horizontal resolution?

You don't. The Framemeister doesn't do integer scaling on the horizontal axis, so you have to use the nearest approximation if you want aspect correction or square pixels.

Setting AR correctly requires a tape measure and knowing some basic math. For example, say you have a 320x240 image you want set to 4:3 AR at 4x scale. After you find the perfect 4x scale on the vertical, you then physically measure how tall it is on your screen. So lets say you do this on your 55 inch display and find out 4x happens to be 22 inches. You then multiply 22 inches by 1.3333 and that equals your target horizontal width. In this case 22 * 1.3333 = 29 1/3 inches. So you then adjust ZOOM_WIDTH until the physical width of the graphics equals 29 1/3 inches.

Now some consoles have a funky resolution and it's not so easy to simply do a 1.3333 multiplier. In the case of the NES here in the States, the math is a bit more complicated. For a technically perfect aspect ratio on the NES, first we have to scale 254x240 to 4x, which = 1024x960. Then we have to apply the following formula: 1024 * 8/7 = 1170. This makes the target AR 4xscale resolution 1170x960 or 1.2188. So you then measure the vertical NES graphics (assuming you're showing all 240 lines) and then multiply that by 1.2188 to get the target horizontal width. So if the vertical at 4x ended up being say 24.5 inches, then the target horizontal would be 24.5 * 1.2188 = 29.86 inches. Here again, you'd adjust ZOOM_WIDTH until it got as close to 29.86 inches as you could.

This is all of course if you want to get super-accurate. It's not such a big deal on the Framemeister due to how it handles horizontal scaling. It's the vertical you have to be perfect on.

Quote:
* After cropping the picture using H_WIDTH, the original aspect ratio is lost and needs to be restored via ZOOM_WIDTH - is there an easy way to verify the correct aspect ratio - also for non-integer scales? (Easier than capturing and measuring pixels :) )

See above description involving the tape measure and a calculator.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:55 pm 

Thanks a lot for your in-depth answers, I now feel very confident w.r.t. to Framemeister scaling topics.
I updated my notes here: https://github.com/RaphMad/framemeister_scaling

A last general question - ignoring scanlines and "perfectionism", how would you personally rate the actual perceived difference between integer/non-integer scaling for 240p sources?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 pm 

Since the Framemeister is, in contrary to what has been believed in the recent months, still available/for sale, do you guys have any news on a possible new firmware update? It's been almost a year they posted the last one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:05 pm 

Mantis128 wrote:
If a XRGBM2 happens, we need a 1440P mode to allow for good PAL scaling.

OSSC with pal amiga 500 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ybhexsRNuU
1200p

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 347, 348, 349, 350, 351, 352  Next