shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:31 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 832 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Console --> Arcade monitor adapter (AVAILABLE, see 1st p
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:56 pm 

OK here we go.

1. Changed the jumper
2. Changed the resolution to 640x480 32bit
3. run Soft15k (as I am not using an Arcade VGA)
4. Enter the catalist drivers & check the box for composite sync
5. Disconnect from regular PC monitor & hook back up to Arcade Monitor

screen is still now & colours seem fine. The screen however is not right. The edge of the screen is right down the middle of the screen?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:42 pm 

The Playstation controller boards are ready now. Follow the link in the first post for details and ordering info.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm 

email sent!

on Beaps problem, is this maybe a sync polarity problem? see any the options in the software (like +/-)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:02 pm 

Another happy customer here!! This is my second of Tim's adapters. Nice, clean video signal and easy to use. Thanks Tim!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:20 pm 

I juat want to say that I received my PS2 controller board and it is the most awesome piece of arcade kit that I have ever purchased. Thank you Tim for making this and getting every little detail right. Perfect compatilbity with my Dreamcast controller adapter.

Picture this: Playing Third Strike a bit, then popping Bangai-o in the DC. One button press on this product and the player 2 joystick is now directional fire for controller 1.

The programming mode couldn't be any easier. It even lets you map the "switch mode" button to any button in the cab, like your service switch.

Thanks a million Tim!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:40 pm 

Is anyone here using the PS2 controller board with the Scart 2 Jamma adapter V1? I would like to hear some experiences from users with this combination.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:52 pm 

Actually, I am. Tim sent me a ribbon cable to use to make the necessary connections. You could either connect to the terminal blocks, or use a JAMMA fingerboard in-between. I used a fingerboard from jammaboards.com. It's actually pretty cool because it becomes more modular this way. I'll post pics later.

If you are using a kick harness (he's got them all there :D ) be sure to note which lines are shared with the ribbon cable so you don't use an input twice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 pm 

OK, thanks for the info. Sounds easy to do, and I have a few jamma fingerboards somewhere. :D So I guess that I will order the PS2 board + ribbon cable one of these days.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:32 pm 

Tim, quick question. Is it safe to twist H and V sync together from a PC and see if your adapter (ver 1) can use it to make a proper c-sync for my monitor? I assume that the sync jumper will need to be set to c-sync input.

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 pm 

I don't think you want to twist them together. I think a XOR gate is the proper way to create C-sync from H- and V-sync.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm 

I've done this (just twisting) with several wei-ya chassis, straight from a VGA card, and they ran for years. But my Nanao doesn't sync that way.

I would do it the proper way, but how to get the power for it? I guess from a USB port, but do I really need to is the question.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 pm 

antron,

Don't directly connect H and V sync from the VGA card. Do it like this instead:

The sync polarity must be negative. You can ignore R2 and D4.

Note that I have heard reports of some monitors being damaged by 31kHz video getting in - be careful.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:02 pm 

So I received my XBOX 360- advanced scart cable today and viletim's board on the same day (woot!), and decided to test the video portion (since I haven't received my 360 controller passthrough yet)....now I'm a bit lost. I tried plugging the cable into my 360 and into the SCART/jamma adaptor and when I turn on my machine and the xbox, I get no video (only audio). I get a blank screen. It does recognize something, because if the system is off, the monitor is black with lines through it (as if I have nothing plugged into the jamma harness), but when the XBOX is on, it just turns into a blak grey screen. I tried toggling contrast but get nothing. Is there some setting that has to be done on the 360 dash or should the xbox know on its own to display from here?? It's set to SD TV composite as I have a low res TV, and when I unplug this cable and plug in the new one, the system turns off, turns back on, and that's where i get stuck (i can hear the sounds of me moving around in the dash on my arcade speakers, but that's it). I have no way to access the dash without video and my TV doesn't do SCART so I really have no way to look at anything with this cable other than through the adaptor.

Can anybody figure out what I'm doing wrong? This is a US console on an Egret 29 BTW.

UPDATE: I turned contrast ALL the way up and I barely can make out slight things resembling the correct output. No color though, just a bare bare resemblance. Turned up brightness, nothing changed.
Thanks!

Makaimura superplays (1 life clears!): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 62dgrlNU1w
Mr Driller superplays: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... E3X3q9A7Wf

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm 

On my Egret 29 the white power resistor was required to get the 5V on the power supply going.
http://etim.net.au/scart2arcV20/scart2arc2.htm

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:21 pm 

antron wrote:
On my Egret 29 the white power resistor was required to get the 5V on the power supply going.

+1 on my EGRET II. PSX/PS2 worked out-of-the-box IIRC, but 360 needed the ceramic capacitor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 pm 

mikehaggar wrote:
So I received my XBOX 360- advanced scart cable today and viletim's board on the same day (woot!), and decided to test the video portion (since I haven't received my 360 controller passthrough yet)....now I'm a bit lost. I tried plugging the cable into my 360 and into the SCART/jamma adaptor and when I turn on my machine and the xbox, I get no video (only audio). I get a blank screen. It does recognize something, because if the system is off, the monitor is black with lines through it (as if I have nothing plugged into the jamma harness), but when the XBOX is on, it just turns into a blak grey screen. I tried toggling contrast but get nothing. Is there some setting that has to be done on the 360 dash or should the xbox know on its own to display from here?? It's set to SD TV composite as I have a low res TV, and when I unplug this cable and plug in the new one, the system turns off, turns back on, and that's where i get stuck (i can hear the sounds of me moving around in the dash on my arcade speakers, but that's it). I have no way to access the dash without video and my TV doesn't do SCART so I really have no way to look at anything with this cable other than through the adaptor.

Can anybody figure out what I'm doing wrong? This is a US console on an Egret 29 BTW.

UPDATE: I turned contrast ALL the way up and I barely can make out slight things resembling the correct output. No color though, just a bare bare resemblance. Turned up brightness, nothing changed.
Thanks!

Push the scart plug further into the adapter end. My mate had a similar problem and its all sorted when he pushed the scart cable "deeper" into the adapter. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm 

Got the Playstation controller board a few days ago and is just awesome!!! I have a question though. Why is it recommend it to plug both controllers even if I'll only use one? I only have one adapter for every console I own so the other controller plug ends up loose. Will that be a problem in the long run?

Thank Tim :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:01 am 

Animaitor wrote:
Why is it recommend it to plug both controllers even if I'll only use one? I only have one adapter for every console I own so the other controller plug ends up loose. Will that be a problem in the long run?

The wires in the controller leads are very thin and because the controller board consumes more power than an ordinary dual shock (to power all those LEDs), there is a voltage drop along the cable. When you plug in both players you get twice as much copper wire connecting the console to the controller board.

At least that's the theory... In practice, I don't think voltage drop is bad enough to cause a problem, even in the worst case scenario. Don't worry if you have no where to plug player two, it won't do any harm if you leave it disconnected. I might remove that paragraph from the manual in the next revision...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:09 am 

Thanks for taking the time to write a proper explanation. I won't worry about it then. Cheers!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:56 am 

Been having a lot of fun with this thing! :D
Thanks, Tim!

emphatic wrote:
antron wrote:

+1 on my EGRET II. PSX/PS2 worked out-of-the-box IIRC, but 360 needed the ceramic capacitor.

hmm... 360 worked out-of-the-box on my Egret II without the ceramic capacitor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:45 am 

Which 360 - PS2 converter did you use for your Egret II setup?
Cheers
Gingerzilla

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:37 pm 

Just set up my Viletim adaptor. Works fantastic. It has made my Egret 2 even better.
Certainly will save me on a few super expensive PCB purchases.
So far I have only linked up only my Xbox 360 but it worked a dream with that so I expect the same with the other games.
Cheers Tim.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:38 pm 

In my egret 2 I can only get sound and no pic on the xbox 360, I've tried with and without the resister.

do you need the official xbox scart, I just have this

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:17 pm 

safetyboy wrote:
In my egret 2 I can only get sound and no pic on the xbox 360, I've tried with and without the resister.

do you need the official xbox scart, I just have this

That SCART cable doesn't carry an RGB signal, it will not work with this adapter.

You don't have to use the official cable, but you do have to use an RGB one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:39 am 

I got mine from this seller/listing on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Official-Ge ... 0803857022

I have some weird pixel line or two of black and white stuff along the top but I'm guessing just bad luck on my part, and if not, it hasn't really bothered me since I have it cropped behind the bezel. I've had the adapter for a while and totally forgot about that thing until now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:53 pm 

bought this but its not RGB as advertised just the same as the other scart i bought.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:48 pm 

safetyboy wrote:
bought this but its not RGB as advertised just the same as the other scart i bought.

it should be RGB, did you try the resistor with this one?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:46 am 

sorry I meant this http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1042689163

as this was closer to home.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:35 pm 

safetyboy wrote:

I don't think a 360 can output both svideo and RGB at the same time. It would have to have a switch.

the seller misrepresented the item in the title. no RGB.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:54 pm 

antron wrote:
safetyboy wrote:

I don't think a 360 can output both svideo and RGB at the same time. It would have to have a switch.

the seller misrepresented the item in the title. no RGB.

looks like all the wires are there just snipped back, Think I can solder them on, fingers crossed :)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 832 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next