shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:26 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2013
Posts: 373
Location: Lima, PE
antares wrote:
At the moment I'm trying to find out if Alien Isolation is region free? I own a jp console and want to buy the Pal version of the game. Can anyone help me?


Well yeah, the PlayAsia list marks it as "Unknown". I'm sure the ASIA version will run just fine on the JXB360 and also be in english. Maybe you should try searching for that version.

:mrgreen:
_________________
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US ! !


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:05 am 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Jun 2013
Posts: 598
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Warning: do not buy from Solaris Japan!

I bought a used NTSC-J X360 from them and the PSU died within the hour. Instant bad omen. When I hooked up the Xbox 360 to the American PSU, the dashboard started glitching like crazy and I thought the console was faulty. The seller claimed it was an issue strictly from the power supply and offered to buy me a replacement. He did and when I received it the console started working just fine.

However, as time passed by I would start getting the same glitches that would hard-lock the console but they were usually solved by unplugging the console and letting the PSU cool down. In the past month though, it became so bad that now the console would lock even during startup. Now I have to send the console for repair locally because the seller won't take responsibility and overall I ended up paying more for this shitty console than for a brand new import. Again, avoid Solaris Japan at all costs!
_________________
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:
The future of shmups is the past.


*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2013
Posts: 373
Location: Lima, PE
Maybe you needed to use a step down transformer. (?)
_________________
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US ! !


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:43 pm 



Joined: 22 May 2012
Posts: 1097
Location: Ontario, Canada
d3vak wrote:
Maybe you needed to use a step down transformer. (?)


That's not how it is supposed to work. The Japanese and US Power supplies are rated for 110-127V - so using either should be OK. The only issue with 360S model that I have seen is that the Trinity (Valhalla) revision was shipped with a 135W PSU while the later Corona revision was shipped with 120W PSUs. I have successfully run a Trinity off of a 120W PSU - at least for some period of time.

I don't know if one can point fingers at Solaris Japan (personally I never had a problem with them) - but they may have gotten a hold of an improperly transported/handled/stored skid of systems and he could have gotten both systems from the same skid - no idea how much time had passed between manufacture and sale but in Japan these things didn't exactly sell like hot cakes - so the longer they sit/get moved around the more likely something undesirable is going to happen to them.

For example, if the skid was dropped some solder points in some systems may have developed hairline cracks - with the thermal cycles of use:
  • These cracks may develop to intermittent connections.
  • These cracks in the lead-free RoHS solder could be more prone (?) to tin whisker development leading to intermittent shorts with adjacent solder points(?)

Hopefully his local repair site is competent enough to resolve the problem once-and-for-all - and hopefully his PCB isn't cracked.

(?)Means I have no idea whether cracked RoHS solder points are more prone to whisker development than undamaged ones - just saying that it would not surprise me.

Then again maybe his systems were manufactured on a Monday morning. :?

And lets not forget: Why "Made In China" Is Still Synonymous With Low Quality


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 5300
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Added new Japanese Games on Demand titles:


I've also completely overhauled the entire guide, so there's lots of new changes. Things like Game Room's games and their technical performance, XBLA titles by genre, etc.
_________________
Image
@shmups


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:21 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 7152
Location: Alingsås, Sweden
Thanks for the update.
_________________
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | Custom shmup move strips! | Now featuring Storm Blade English move strip!
RegalSin wrote:
Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2013
Posts: 373
Location: Lima, PE
emphatic wrote:
Thanks for the update.

+1 Really appreciate your effort!
_________________
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US ! !


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:31 am 



Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 239
+1 Very useful info here. Thanks!
_________________
My Analog A/V setup: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43992

Ultimate Shmup Stick! JLF mod: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41451


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:19 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 5300
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Just to confirm, these were released on the Japanese XBL GoD store but they aren't anywhere to be seen on the HK store.

IP-locking of each game and accessibility still needs to be confirming, although I'm probably not going to be able to confirm myself.
_________________
Image
@shmups


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:33 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18067
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
Semi-OT question maybe, but I figure importers might have some interesting leads:

Does anybody have experience with Xbox 360 controllers that have sticky direction problems?

Years ago I had a Mad Catz stick for the PC - a loose connection killed that one (could be fixed, possibly).

I tried the Razer Onza - one of the shoulders was dying from the start and I think the left stick got persistent input problems.

I've also tried the Hori Gem Pad EX, and that one's gotten persistent input problems (namely, spurious up inputs) on the left stick when playing Dragon's Dogma.

I haven't tried an official controller yet, but it might be time. Also, did I mention I have a bit of a stash of 360 controller PCBs and parts? :mrgreen:

Edit: Currently considering the Fus1on and the Razer Sabertooth.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:35 pm 



Joined: 20 Jul 2015
Posts: 6
I need some advice guys.

I've got a PAL360 and have picked up all the shooters for it over the years (on disc and XBLA). I've recently picked up a NTSCJ console and im looking to start picking up the J region games that I've missed out on. Ideally, i would like to only have the one j360 console at my shmup desk to access all the shooters on 360. What would be the best way forward? Transfer all the XBLA titles from the PAL to NTSCJ system along with DLC? Swap HDDs as and when required? Or would it be easier to just simply use the two consoles side by side and swap the leads when required? What do you guys do? I realise that some of the PAL titles like DS,AK and UD i would have to repurchase for the J region If i want to only use the j360. Also, does transferring XBLA titles like triggerheart, ikaruga, 200X and Capcom classics change language in the menus once transferred?

I have read through this thread and its been very useful for
everything j360 related so thanks to Elixr and anyone else who has given input.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:21 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1101
Location: safespot
Uncle Rico wrote:
I need some advice guys.

I've got a PAL360 and have picked up all the shooters for it over the years (on disc and XBLA). I've recently picked up a NTSCJ console and im looking to start picking up the J region games that I've missed out on. Ideally, i would like to only have the one j360 console at my shmup desk to access all the shooters on 360. What would be the best way forward? Transfer all the XBLA titles from the PAL to NTSCJ system along with DLC? Swap HDDs as and when required? Or would it be easier to just simply use the two consoles side by side and swap the leads when required? What do you guys do? I realise that some of the PAL titles like DS,AK and UD i would have to repurchase for the J region If i want to only use the j360. Also, does transferring XBLA titles like triggerheart, ikaruga, 200X and Capcom classics change language in the menus once transferred?

I have read through this thread and its been very useful for
everything j360 related so thanks to Elixr and anyone else who has given input.


Save your profile and your XBLA shmups to a USB flash drive, then you can easily swap that between both systems. As for language settings, it often depends on what language you have your 360 set to, though some games have separate in-gama language options.
_________________
:lol:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:13 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18067
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
Thought I'd drop a little note about the Power A Fus1ion tournament controller:

I got one of the refurbished full units off eBay, and aside from a few spots on the grips it looks and feels brand new. The entire controller has a kind of rubbery coating which I'm not super keen on, and I don't know what it'll feel like after a lot more use. I'm not marking any points down for that at the moment. The default grips are textured but they don't bother me.

The main draw here are the two wide, low thumbsticks. Many people swear by this controller for accurate movement. The sticks have an almost nonexistent dead zone - the only dead space on the sticks is just the bit I can flick back and forth, like gaps in the plastic. Just beyond that movement the sticks engage - often, I think my thumbs are "at rest" but I'm actually engaging the left stick. So far it hasn't engaged while in neutral, which is a good thing, but given the incredibly tight tolerance here, I'm afraid it won't last. I'll keep using it and see if it lasts. If it does work out, this is nice to have.

In PlayStation 1 emulation, the sticks make it easier to engage a double-flick maneuver, like the one that makes your character execute a hop in Konami's Soul of the Samurai / Ronin Blade.

In hindsight I probably should have bought one of the bare controllers, since I didn't need the box, case, or the extra grips. I'm considering buying another or two just to have spares when this one eventually wears out.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 921
Location: Austria
Is it still possible to buy a prepaid japanese xbox live card and redeem it on your jp account outside Japan?

I know it worked back when we had Microsoft points but does it still work, now that Microsoft switched from points to real currency?

I'm asking because I saw an auction where the seller wrote you need a jp ip address to redeem the card. True or did he just assume this?

Thanks!
_________________
WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:57 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 665
antares wrote:
Is it still possible to buy a prepaid japanese xbox live card and redeem it on your jp account outside Japan?

I know it worked back when we had Microsoft points but does it still work, now that Microsoft switched from points to real currency?

I'm asking because I saw an auction where the seller wrote you need a jp ip address to redeem the card. True or did he just assume this?

Thanks!

Yes, and yes, I just got it recently to get the DLC from Caladrius (had I known the DLC was gonna be on the English release sooner or later, lol.)

And that's false, I have a 360, and in the US, but can redeem the code from the console under the JP acct. (Unless otherwise noted.)
_________________
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 921
Location: Austria
Thanks for the clarification!
_________________
WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 206
Stupid question, I have a J xbox and have been out of shmuping for a couple years. I remember when I got it microsoft? sent me that huge ac power converter deal to replace the AC cord it came with. Has anything changed with this? Do you still need this big unsightly power supply or have they come out with something different (since 2009).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:20 pm 



Joined: 22 May 2012
Posts: 1097
Location: Ontario, Canada
Any Xbox 360 needs an external power brick - which makes sense in a global marketplace because the actual console is independent of the local power system. Each iteration of the power supply unit (PSU) comes in two versions one of which will fit to your local AC power voltage:
  • 110-127V
  • 220-240V

When you import a console and it turns out that the included PSU has the "wrong" voltage it makes more sense to get a Xbox 360 PSU matched to your local AC power voltage rather than using a step-up or step-down converter. This situation can be avoided altogether by choosing the "right" console, i.e. a Japanese console comes with a 110-127V PSU, while an Asian Xbox 360 comes with a 220-240V PSU - then it is simply a matter of finding a replacement AC cord with the appropriate plug for the wall outlet and the (standardized) connector on the PSU.

Unfortunately the vintage of the Xbox 360 determines which PSU can work as older models consumed more power.
On the console side there are three radically different power connectors for the original Xbox 360, Xbox 360 S and Xbox 360 E.
To make things worse there are minor changes for the power connector of the original Xbox 360 so that a low power PSU could not be connected to an older model which required more power. The PSU iterations are:
Original Xbox 360 ("block" connector):
  • 203-watt for Xenon/Zephyr, Falcon/Opus, Jasper
  • 175-watt for Falcon/Opus, Jasper only
  • 150-watt for Jasper only
Xbox 360 S (double barrel connector):
  • 135-watt for Trinity (Valhalla) and Corona
  • 120-watt for Corona (though Trinity (Valhalla) seems to work too)
Xbox 360 E (single barrel connector):
  • 120-watt for Winchester

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/power-supply

Now when you say "J xbox" are you talking about the original, "classic" Xbox? The original Xbox has an internal power supply (US: 120VAC/60Hz; PAL: 180-265VAC/50Hz) but there was an (optional) "Xbox Surge Protection AC Power Cord Cable".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhe0mnCR8Uc


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:12 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 206
Thanks, ya I have the Original J-XBOX (phat white one). I remember when I was researching on here to buy it there was talk about getting one version over the other (jasper etc.). I don't know off hand which one I got, but I do know that I got the one that was recommended/better. So you think what I have is the Surge protector and not a psu converter?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:25 pm 



Joined: 22 May 2012
Posts: 1097
Location: Ontario, Canada
2dvertical wrote:
Thanks, ya I have the Original J-XBOX (phat white one).

Around here "Original Xbox" (or "classic Xbox") typically refers to this:
Image

You seem to be talking about this:
Image
An "Original Xbox 360".

2dvertical wrote:
I don't know off hand which one I got, but I do know that I got the one that was recommended/better.

A Falcon will typically state a requirement of (12V-14.2A) on the console, while a Jasper should state (12V-12.1A) on the console - though there may be some Jasper motherboards out there with Falcon stickers.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/11/jasper-360s-secret-to-succesful-identification/

2dvertical wrote:
So you think what I have is the Surge protector and not a psu converter?

No - given that we are talking about an "original Xbox 360" that is actually the power supply unit (PSU) - not a converter or surge protector.

An original Xbox 360 console can be powered by the 100-127V version or the 220-240V version - you don't need a separate step up or step down converter if you have the PSU version that matches your local mains electricity voltage.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 77
Location: sweden
Ok, I got some questions.

Like a lot of you I've been buying the region free stuff over the years and enjoyed it quite a lot. I recently got back into the more heavy addiction of shooting and realised I NEED a Japanese Xbox 360.

So:
What would be the best option for me?
What model should/could I get?
Where can I get one?

I'm thinking this machine is gonna be a shmup/arcade/fighting machine only so no need for online stuff or massive storage space/hdd.

Play-asia currenly sells a model with 4gb of storage and while that is probably good enought I wouldn't mind a little more to be able to install all games to the hard drive to minimize disc access/usage. Can I add a hard drive somehow?

Let me know what you think! :)
_________________
- Solar system Defence Force -


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Posts: 997
Location: Canada
brand1bil wrote:
Ok, I got some questions.

Like a lot of you I've been buying the region free stuff over the years and enjoyed it quite a lot. I recently got back into the more heavy addiction of shooting and realised I NEED a Japanese Xbox 360.

So:
What would be the best option for me?
What model should/could I get?
Where can I get one?

I'm thinking this machine is gonna be a shmup/arcade/fighting machine only so no need for online stuff or massive storage space/hdd.

Play-asia currenly sells a model with 4gb of storage and while that is probably good enought I wouldn't mind a little more to be able to install all games to the hard drive to minimize disc access/usage. Can I add a hard drive somehow?

Let me know what you think! :)



Funny I just picked up my 2nd Xbox 360 just recently on here

If your going to get a model I'd recommend the S or the E model
These guys use less power than the previous models. And I'm sure people are well aware of the heating issues the 360 has.

Both these models use the same Internal HDD
You can pick up official or unofficial HDD if you get the model that does not come with one. Unofficial being much cheaper.
Just note that Unofficial HDD does not come with the partition to play original Xbox games. You can however do it yourself via certain programs available online. Its fairly easy to do.

Though at this point there is very little reason to pick up a J360 for CAVE games. Most of the CAVE games available have been ported to other platforms at a much more affordable option.

The only CAVE game I can think of that you need a J360 for is Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label for Ketsuipachi mode.
Other than that I think that is it for exclusives for the JP360.... unless I am wrong. I'm sure some one else here will correct me :)

Also those region free games you speak of that work on North American Consoles (I don't know about European Consoles) will not work on the Japanese Consoles. They are region locked to North American Territories... just giving you a heads up there.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 77
Location: sweden
Shelcoof wrote:
brand1bil wrote:
Ok, I got some questions.

Like a lot of you I've been buying the region free stuff over the years and enjoyed it quite a lot. I recently got back into the more heavy addiction of shooting and realised I NEED a Japanese Xbox 360.

So:
What would be the best option for me?
What model should/could I get?
Where can I get one?

I'm thinking this machine is gonna be a shmup/arcade/fighting machine only so no need for online stuff or massive storage space/hdd.

Play-asia currenly sells a model with 4gb of storage and while that is probably good enought I wouldn't mind a little more to be able to install all games to the hard drive to minimize disc access/usage. Can I add a hard drive somehow?

Let me know what you think! :)



Funny I just picked up my 2nd Xbox 360 just recently on here

If your going to get a model I'd recommend the S or the E model
These guys use less power than the previous models. And I'm sure people are well aware of the heating issues the 360 has.

Both these models use the same Internal HDD
You can pick up official or unofficial HDD if you get the model that does not come with one. Unofficial being much cheaper.
Just note that Unofficial HDD does not come with the partition to play original Xbox games. You can however do it yourself via certain programs available online. Its fairly easy to do.

Though at this point there is very little reason to pick up a J360 for CAVE games. Most of the CAVE games available have been ported to other platforms at a much more affordable option.

The only CAVE game I can think of that you need a J360 for is Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label for Ketsuipachi mode.
Other than that I think that is it for exclusives for the JP360.... unless I am wrong. I'm sure some one else here will correct me :)

Also those region free games you speak of that work on North American Consoles (I don't know about European Consoles) will not work on the Japanese Consoles. They are region locked to North American Territories... just giving you a heads up there.


Thanks for your reply - I should clear up some things.

First of all I'm in Sweden/Europe and I have bought all the NTSC/J Shmups that are region free (meaning they will play on any console anywhere in the world) and also the ones that's been ported to the PAL region (DDP:Resurrection, Death Smiles, Akai Katana and Under Defeat).

I have to say I disagree with you on the point that there is no point in buying a JPN console for the shmups. The ones I'm particularly interested in are:
Ketsui (available on PS3 also but I don't own that console and I'm not planning to change that either)
Dodonpachi Daioujou (also on the PS2 but not in HD or suitable for flat screens)
Mushihimesama HD (same as above)
Otomedius games (N/A in PAL)
Senko no ronde 2 (N/A in PAL)
Raiden Figthers Aces collection (N/A in PAL)

and then the list could go on with the ones that aren't my top priorities.

So - that being said - I'm in the business for a NTSC/J console and I appreciate your feedback on the E-model/version. I think I'm leaning towards picking up one of those.

Are there any alternative to Play-Asia btw? Where can I shop around?
_________________
- Solar system Defence Force -


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:59 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Posts: 997
Location: Canada
brand1bil wrote:

Thanks for your reply - I should clear up some things.

First of all I'm in Sweden/Europe and I have bought all the NTSC/J Shmups that are region free (meaning they will play on any console anywhere in the world) and also the ones that's been ported to the PAL region (DDP:Resurrection, Death Smiles, Akai Katana and Under Defeat).

I have to say I disagree with you on the point that there is no point in buying a JPN console for the shmups. The ones I'm particularly interested in are:
Ketsui (available on PS3 also but I don't own that console and I'm not planning to change that either)
Dodonpachi Daioujou (also on the PS2 but not in HD or suitable for flat screens)
Mushihimesama HD (same as above)
Otomedius games (N/A in PAL)
Senko no ronde 2 (N/A in PAL)
Raiden Figthers Aces collection (N/A in PAL)

and then the list could go on with the ones that aren't my top priorities.

So - that being said - I'm in the business for a NTSC/J console and I appreciate your feedback on the E-model/version. I think I'm leaning towards picking up one of those.

Are there any alternative to Play-Asia btw? Where can I shop around?


lol yhaa I just realize I made a mistake regarding region free with North American and European releases. My head wasn't on straight for a moment.

Ketsui (available on PS3 also but I don't own that console and I'm not planning to change that either)
You can also play this on MAME as well. My preference goes to the PS3 just because its region free and not dependent on importing a J360

Dodonpachi Daioujou (also on the PS2 but not in HD or suitable for flat screens)
I have this as well it looks exactly like the PS2 version.... looks a little bit cleaner than on the 360 but not a whole lot in my opinion

Mushihimesama HD (same as above)
You can get this on STEAM for 20$ and they have an add on for this speical version I forget the name of lol.

Otomedius games (N/A in PAL)
Being a huge fan of the Parodius games this one saddens me :(
Not sure if it was released in Europe but it was here and was a bargain bin game for less than 10$

Senko no ronde 2 (N/A in PAL)
This game is not a shmup but if you own a J360 its a must buy in my opinion. I actually just bought this game off ebay about 3 days ago :)

Raiden Figthers Aces collection (N/A in PAL)
Not sure if it was released in Europe but it can be had here for next to nothing. Great game I actually really enjoy it... also on MAME

The way I see it is that right now the going price for a J360 is extremely high and not worth it in my opinion. If it wasn't for finding a console at a really good price I probably wouldn't have picked up the console again.

There are alternative solutions that are much cheaper but hey if you want a J360 one nothing wrong with that :)
I'd rather play my shmups on the 360 than play it on my PC via STEAM or emulation. Ketsui I play it on my PS3 because I like my Playstation 8)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:46 pm 



Joined: 22 May 2012
Posts: 1097
Location: Ontario, Canada
brand1bil wrote:
I'm in the business for a NTSC/J console and I appreciate your feedback on the E-model/version.

My personal preference is the S-model - the 'E' model is limited to analog composite and HDMI; for the 'S' model you can also get VGA, component, SCART, and S-Video cables (and it also has optical audio). That being said finding a new 'S' may be difficult to find and pricey. However - if you can live without Xbox-live a modded domestic console can be used to universally get around region locks.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1086492#p1086492

Finding a used domestic 'S' model may not be as difficult and expensive. Team Xecuter parts can be sourced in Sweden through http://www.shop01media.com/

brand1bil wrote:
Are there any alternative to Play-Asia btw?

Maybe this post will give you an idea: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1093356#p1093356

However any Japanese NTSC-J 360 comes with a 110-127V PSU (power supply unit). Given that Sweden has 230V you probably want an Asian NTSC-J 360 which comes with a 220-240V PSU. Alternately you could simply use a domestic PSU on your NTSC-J 360 as long as you get the correct model (and wattage). See above

brand1bil wrote:
Can I add a hard drive somehow?

The hard drives are not region-locked so a domestic one can be added later. Alternately pick up one of the supported Western Digital 250/320/500 GB drives and give it the treatment:
250, 320 or 500GB SATA hard drive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim
... and drop it into a shell.

I don't think the type and size of hard drive is restricted on xecuter boxes - you could even use a SATA SSD if you were so inclined.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:42 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 77
Location: sweden
Thanks for you answer and input HydrogLox!

HydrogLox wrote:
Finding a used domestic 'S' model may not be as difficult and expensive. Team Xecuter parts can be sourced in Sweden through http://www.shop01media.com/


Actually getting a used system here in Sweden is not that hard or expensive - the marked is flooded by them now that everyone wants to upgrade to a xbone unit. As for modding a system - someone else would have to do that for me and I think it's gonna come pretty close cost to actually getting a new NTSC/J system.

HydrogLox wrote:
Maybe this post will give you an idea: viewtopic.php?p=1093356#p1093356


Thanks! I've contacted rancor. As for the PSU I know about the differences and getting one here in Sweden (or a stepdown) shouldn't be to hard.
_________________
- Solar system Defence Force -


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:58 pm 



Joined: 22 May 2012
Posts: 1097
Location: Ontario, Canada
brand1bil wrote:
I think it's gonna come pretty close cost to actually getting a new NTSC/J system.

Keep in mind that shipping and custom/import fees are big pain points with an import system (besides the potentially inflated price) - that can pile up very quickly.
End of 2011 Play-Asia charged me 105 USD for EMS shipping for my NTSC-J Trinity system. And it would be false economy to use a cheaper mode of shipping - more time in transit typically translates to more opportunity for something to go wrong.

With an NTSC-J system you don't have the option of using the "cheaper" and more readily available NTSC-U versions of Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters Aces (RFA). The NTSC-J version of these games have gotten pretty pricy due to their small print run (typical for all Japanese Xbox 360 shmups) - which is especially true for RFA (the included "The Onslaught Raiden Fighters Special Edition" super play DVD is partially to blame for that). At least Raiden IV Overkill is available on PS3/PSN and Steam, though DotEmu's Raiden Legacy on PC might as well not exist. Personally I feel that RFA is an essential part of an Xbox 360 STG collection - it is a shame that it was never released in the PAL region.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4702
Location: EU
HydrogLox wrote:
End of 2011 Play-Asia charged me 105 USD for EMS shipping for my NTSC-J Trinity system. And it would be false economy to use a cheaper mode of shipping - more time in transit typically translates to more opportunity for something to go wrong.

Dunno but I'm still getting stuff from PA using Air Economy and neutral package, every time only 2~3 games that fit perfectly into one of their little boxes.

It's a long wait, with barely any tracking info, but so far it worked for me without any issues, no additional customs fee.
Not saying shit can't happen, just that PA aren't necessarily worse than other mainstream Asian shops at the moment.

Most of the prized 360 stuff is gone though, so you get mostly the discounted old stock stuff, but it's still interesting because several Asia or US versions they carry are region-free and therefore a blessing for JP-360 console owners.
(not talking about shmups in particular since they only have few left, but in general. This will be over soon though, old stocks don't last forever)
_________________
Image


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:49 pm 



Joined: 22 May 2012
Posts: 1097
Location: Ontario, Canada
Xyga wrote:
Dunno but I'm still getting stuff from PA using Air Economy and neutral package, every time only 2~3 games that fit perfectly into one of their little boxes.

I wasn't talking about games - in 2011 PA would only ship anything like a system (Xbox 360, PS2) with EMS (or better) and most online retailers like Solaris Japan have a similar policy. I was simply pointing out that given the already significant investment in the system in my view haggling a retailer down to a cheaper form of shipping can be risky between the increased exposure to damage and loss and potentially "asking to be ripped off" (depending on who you are dealing with and given that the recipient would have to accept full responsibility for the merchandise without any means to control (i.e. track) it).

Bottom line: International shipping for an Xbox 360 system from Japan/Asia will typically be around 100 USD (possibly more).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:36 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1101
Location: safespot
brand1bil,

If you haven't bought a Japanese 360 yet, you might want to consider an Asian 360 instead. It might be cheaper than a Japanese console, it has the exact same region coding, and it already includes a 220v PSU.

Shelcoof wrote:
Otomedius games (N/A in PAL)
Being a huge fan of the Parodius games this one saddens me :(
Not sure if it was released in Europe but it was here and was a bargain bin game for less than 10$

Senko no ronde 2 (N/A in PAL)
This game is not a shmup but if you own a J360 its a must buy in my opinion. I actually just bought this game off ebay about 3 days ago :)

Raiden Figthers Aces collection (N/A in PAL)
Not sure if it was released in Europe but it can be had here for next to nothing. Great game I actually really enjoy it... also on MAME


The Otomedius game released in North America was Otomedius Excellent, which is garbage. However, the previous game Otomedius Gorgeous can only be played on Japanese 360 consoles. Gorgeous includes the original arcade version of Otomedius, which is very good and worth playing.

Senko no Ronde DUO is one of the best reasons to own a Japanese 360. If anyone wants to play some PvP, please let me know.

Raiden Fighters Aces goes for very different prices depending on the version. The North American version may be dirt-cheap, but the Japanese version goes for ~$100, and both versions are region locked. Something to consider when buying a Japanese 360.
_________________
:lol:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, RocketBelt and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group