shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:59 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Reliable auto-selecting HDMI switch?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:53 pm 

I bought a cheap auto-selecting Kinivo HDMI switch but the thing keeps losing signal intermittently. Does anyone know of a quality HDMI switch with the same auto-switching function that's reliable?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Reliable auto-selecting HDMI switch?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:08 am 

I used this one for a few years, never had an issue, auto switching works perfectly and can also override with a button or remote;

http://www.konigelectronic.com/en_us/1095293

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 am 

Thanks - looks better than the one I have, although according to the Amazon reviews it seems a bit hit or miss as to whether you get a good unit. Some seem to have various problems like unexpectedly switching inputs.

It looks to be in a category above the very cheap £15-£20 boxes, but does anyone know of a decent box that's a step beyond that? i.e. a unit that is universally super reliable but comes in at under say £100?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:13 pm 

Not really exactly what you're looking for.

I've had this 8x1 for a while now, love it. Doesn't auto select though.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4067

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:48 pm 

Nice one :) - but definitely looking for auto select.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:39 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S0YNNM

And it has the option to turn auto select off in case you are playing a game with resolution changes so it won't "seek" whenever the resolution changes causing a blank screen until it detects the resolution change. It just stays on the channel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:37 pm 

Thanks wolf - we don't seem to get these in the UK though.. Same with Scottmog's suggestion
I actually bought the one PascalP suggested but this one still cuts out here & there :/

After all this, I'd rather do without auto select & just have reliable switching. I would have thought there's be a solid unit under £100 that guarantees 100% reliability with no dropped signal?

If anyone could help further I'd be really grateful...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:54 pm 

I use this one currently with no problems

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD1832-In ... witch&th=1

Now a couple things you may or may not know. It is best to have an active hdmi switcher that is powered. I had so many issues with the passive one I had depending on the console because PS4 for instance doesn't output enough current through the hdmi port to power the switch and create the handshake with the tv. PS3 did however which makes it all the more annoying.

Anyways this thing has a small remote which I honestly don't use cause I can change the input by pressing a button on the switcher. The IR port sucks anyways. But it does indeed auto switch to whatever the last thing turned on was. So if you are playing PS4 and your Wii U powers on to check for updates then it will lose connection and with PS4 and switch to Wii U. That is the only inconvenience I have noticed. Otherwise if you turn you tv on and power on your console or whatever is just comes up and works.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:19 pm 

Thanks for that :) It looks like some switches work for some people but not others. A lot of users seem to have similar problems to mine with your one, although it obviously works well for you.

OK so I'm now definitely looking at a higher end *non* autoswitching unit - purely a manually controlled unit that's high quality and rock solid if anyone could help. Having gone through this hassle, I'm happy to pay more for reliability.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:56 pm 

I've had zero issues with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV ... UTF8&psc=1

It's auto-switching, but can be controlled manually as well (never had to use it that way). I have all the modern consoles connected to it, I've tried a Pi3, Analog NT, Bluray, etc. Not one issue at all. If you're still up for an auto one, give it a shot. Nothing to lose, really.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:09 pm 

pyroman512 wrote:
I use this one currently with no problems

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD1832-In ... witch&th=1

I have one of these. It started having intermittent loss of signal a bit over a month in.

Switched back to an older Monoprice 4x1 switch. I don't think it auto selects, but it's much more reliable so far despite being years old.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:21 pm 

Exactly - It looks like this is a unit, like the other ones I've seen/bought that works great for a lot of people and not with a few. Unfortunately I seem to be one of the few that are having problems with the glut of these cheapish £20-£40 Chinese built units. Perhaps my boxes are just having a problem with my setup particularly.

I had a Switch, Wii U PS4, PS3 and Xbox one connected to the Kinivo switch which blanks out every so often. Got a replacement & the same thing happened. Got the Konig mentioned above which did the same thing. I'd like to test the iogear and Monoprice units but we can't get them in the UK and shipping is expensive from the US.

I had a word with Fudoh & he directed me to the more pro units like the Kramers which are expensive new but might turn up cheaper second hand.

Does anyone know of something in my setup that might be upsetting these switcher's autoswitch function? It's odd as these cheaper units seem to work great for a lot of people..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:37 pm 

andykara2003 wrote:
Exactly - It looks like this is a unit, like the other ones I've seen/bought that works great for a lot of people and not with a few. Unfortunately I seem to be one of the few that are having problems with the glut of these cheapish £20-£40 Chinese built units. Perhaps my boxes are just having a problem with my setup particularly.

I had a Switch, Wii U PS4, PS3 and Xbox one connected to the Kinivo switch which blanks out every so often. Got a replacement & the same thing happened. Got the Konig mentioned above which did the same thing. I'd like to test the iogear and Monoprice units but we can't get them in the UK and shipping is expensive from the US.

I had a word with Fudoh & he directed me to the more pro units like the Kramers which are expensive new but might turn up cheaper second hand.

Does anyone know of something in my setup that might be upsetting these switcher's autoswitch function? It's odd as these cheaper units seem to work great for a lot of people..

Yes. Nintendo Switch consoles upset auto HDMI switchers.

I've heard of lots of people with issues at least. Can't say if it's been fixed with firmware updates or not though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 pm 

From reports on yesterday's firmware update, not yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 pm 

Do digital switchers have slight image degradation like analog switchers do?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 pm 

ZellSF wrote:

Thank you!! Apparently the official advice is to turn off the "match TV power state" setting. It seems it doesn't work for everyone but I'll give it a try..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:57 pm 

GeneraLight wrote:

No ... maybe a tiny bit signal degradation, but nothing to even think about in typical use.
(Plus the effect would be more like signal/no-signal, image found/not-found, on/off ... not degrading the actual image quality with noise etc.).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 pm 

gray117 wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:

No ... maybe a tiny bit signal degradation, but nothing to even think about in typical use.
(Plus the effect would be more like signal/no-signal, image found/not-found, on/off ... not degrading the actual image quality with noise etc.).

Right. Digital either works or it doesn't. No degradation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:38 pm 

That's not entirely accurate, lots of cases where you can have digital "snow". Digital isn't either you got an image or you don't, you can definitely get an image with issues. Sometimes they might even be subtle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 pm 

ZellSF wrote:
That's not entirely accurate, lots of cases where you can have digital "snow". Digital isn't either you got an image or you don't, you can definitely get an image with issues. Sometimes they might even be subtle.

But switchers won't cause those problems for HDMI, right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:45 am 

GeneraLight wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

But switchers won't cause those problems for HDMI, right?

They could. Good switches shouldn't of course.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:27 pm 

ZellSF wrote:
andykara2003 wrote:
... Does anyone know of something in my setup that might be upsetting these switcher's autoswitch function? ...

Is it that Switches won't let switchers switch ? Or that Switches autoswitch switchers when they shouldn't switch ?

Offline Profile