shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: GC VIDEO PLUG N PLAY: IT'S FINALLY HERE!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:28 am 

bobrocks95 wrote:
strayan wrote:
Can someone explain line doubling? Is this some kind of integer/nearest neighbour scaling?

480i to 480p with quick bob deinterlacing. You're losing half the vertical resolution, but some displays won't accept 480i over HDMI and there's no lag with that deinterlacing method.

I assume I want a line doubling disabled version of this device if my TV supports 480i over HDMI.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GC VIDEO PLUG N PLAY: IT'S FINALLY HERE!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:19 am 

BazookaBen wrote:
So this GC Video would need to be able to pixel-triple on the horizontal axis to get it to work for CRT's.

Quadrupling would be easier to implement and the resulting 2880x480i/240p resolutions are actually standardized.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GC VIDEO Project P
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:58 am 

zeldaxpro has posted a page and video showing the version 2.0 of his plug-and-play gcvideo. The two main improvements seem to be a partial 3D printed connector that greatly improves the fit in the socket, and IR support to get an OSD:

https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home/single-post/pnpgc2

No word on new pricing, as he seems to just be taking statements of interest to order via his contact form.

Overall, it seems to be a huge improvement in the fit.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:49 pm 

He's actually selling them directly for $100 plus shipping. Just email him here: https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home/contact

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:38 pm 

$100 isn't bad. I forget what the prototype was, $140 or so?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:40 pm 

Any chance for a component version op?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:52 pm 

Any reason for the solder joints on the connector being exposed?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:00 pm 

The chassis does not appear to be 3D printed, so he may not have had a choice. I don't see that it would matter much.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:04 pm 

You're right it doesn't really matter, I just thought it would look nicer covered.

I like his adapter, I would get it if I didn't already have a pluto HDMI board installed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:31 am 

I recently picked one of these up. I can't recommend it enough. It looks identical to my component cables going through my Framemeister. That said, I like this much more as it's just the single cable, rather than having to deal with the component, plus audio cables. I did a quick video of it, it's not great, but gives a brief overview. I also did some direct capture, but my capture card is from 2011, so believe me, the footage looks much, much better in person. For whatever reason, youtube didn't treat my 480p capture very well. When I watch the file straight from my PC, it looks really good, but there's a lot of pixelated artifacts I'm noticing when viewing it on youtube. It seems to look best when you don't go full screen, if viewing on your PC. Viewing it from my tablet or phone and it looks pretty damn good.

GC HDMI adapter

https://youtu.be/E9QFNzp_9p0

Direct capture

https://youtu.be/mN7NVt3HBxE

https://youtu.be/p28GImNgaak

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:19 am 

Guspaz wrote:
zeldaxpro has posted a page and video showing the version 2.0 of his plug-and-play gcvideo. The two main improvements seem to be a partial 3D printed connector that greatly improves the fit in the socket, and IR support to get an OSD:

No word on new pricing, as he seems to just be taking statements of interest to order via his contact form.

Wow, that looks awesome! Don't have to deal with waiting for BAC anymore and the endless delays.

So with this external 2.0 mod, seeing that includes digital audio and access to the OSD menu v.i remote, is there any reason to even consider an internal HDMI mod?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:41 pm 

Seraphic wrote:
Guspaz wrote:

Wow, that looks awesome! Don't have to deal with waiting for BAC anymore and the endless delays.

So with this external 2.0 mod, seeing that includes digital audio and access to the OSD menu v.i remote, is there any reason to even consider an internal HDMI mod?

Well, it may arguably look cleaner, but I'd say the only big advantage remaining is it being a good deal cheaper IF you have the skill to install it yourself. Maybe some would prefer using the controller for the OSD too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:
Seraphic wrote:
Guspaz wrote:

Well, it may arguably look cleaner, but I'd say the only big advantage remaining is it being a good deal cheaper IF you have the skill to install it yourself. Maybe some would prefer using the controller for the OSD too.

Yes, not a major deal killer, but I also noticed his PnP is setup at a right-angle instead of directly rear facing. But still not bad for $100 and it keeps the Digital Port for those that still have original cables.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:54 am 

Just judging from using mine, I think the right angle makes sense, considering how far the device would stick out of the rear and possibly put more stress on the digital port once you plug an HDMI cable in. Although, I can't see the stress being a huge problem, unless you're using some heavy-duty HDMI cable, which isn't necessary. However, with the size of the adapter, it would definitely stick out of the console quite a ways.

Here's mine inserted normally, versus straight out the back. Not exactly a deal breaker, by any means, but it definitely would hang out quite a bit more than I'd prefer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am 

Yeah, it is not a big deal and I contacted him last night and should able to place an order for one today. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:18 pm 

It's, seriously, so nice and looks fantastic! You'll love it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:46 pm 

TooBeaucoup wrote:

Thanks, looking forward to trying it out. Should arrive today in fact
And if you need a remote in order to adjust the settings, model LG AKB73975722 is confirmed to work by Zeldaxpro.
You can find a lot on ebay, most of them are used or new other and go for aound $10. But I found a new one on ebay shipped for about $12. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:13 pm 

It arrived a few hours ago and I really like the picture quality and digital audio sounds great.
I have no way to do a direct capture, but here is the Plug an Play GC VIdeo 2.0 going into my Crystalio II VPS-3800 for 480p to 1080p on my 73" DLP TV.
https://image.ibb.co/jyktf5/IMG_20170615_184639243.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:05 am 

Seraphic wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:

And if you need a remote in order to adjust the settings, model LG AKB73975722 is confirmed to work by Zeldaxpro.
You can find a lot on ebay, most of them are used or new other and go for aound $10. But I found a new one on ebay shipped for about $12. :D

Thank you, sir. I was actually wondering which remote we were supposed to use. HA HA!!! I just ordered one. And I'm glad yours is working well. I love the damn thing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:24 am 

Seraphic wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:

Thanks again for the remote info, I just got mine a couple of days ago and it works great. Man, it is so cool having HDMI and access to all the menu settings without having to install an HDMI mod!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:08 pm 

TooBeaucoup wrote:
Seraphic wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:

Thanks again for the remote info, I just got mine a couple of days ago and it works great. Man, it is so cool having HDMI and access to all the menu settings without having to install an HDMI mod!

No problem, mine arrived yesterday and works well. Just need to be close range.

Offline Profile