View active topics

Post subject: Re: GD: Darius Gaiden
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:19 am 

CStarFlare wrote:
Bump for game breaking question:

The Japanese Darius Wiki notes an invincibility glitch

Quote:
Invincible technique
Sometimes ship becomes invincible state by a certain behavior.
Score summary of this work by this phenomenon is discovered had been aborted.

It sounds like this can be purposely activated. Anyone know how?

I made a video and added some information in the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR-k61OP-Ag

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:07 am 

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 am 

Turns out that searching for info about Darius Gaiden rank in Japanese (ダライアス外伝 ランク) brings up a lot more useful information than the same phrase in English. The first result I found on Google was this page, which has a bunch of specifics gleaned from watching memory on the PS2 port. It seems to be incomplete but it's a lot more than I've found anywhere else. Other results I found on the first page of search results didn't have specific values but corroborated the general ideas about what increases rank, namely:

• Time
  • Shooting (each time you press the shot button - holding it counts as one press, including in Darius Gaiden Extra)
  • Destroying full waves (getting the formation bonus)
  • Destroying boss parts
  • Powerups (more if you're at full power)

These factors are scaled by the overall difficulty setting (normal by default) as well as the per-stage difficulty setting (the setting that says 3 for stage 1, 7 for stage 2, etc.). Starting rank is determined by the overall difficulty setting. Dying lowers rank by a small percentage (1/16). Rank affects the usual stuff like bullet density and speed, and also enemy speed and number of enemies. I think it also affects boss and midboss HP - not sure about the bosses, but high rank makes it significantly harder to capture midbosses.

The memory value given on that site is for the PS2 version, but I found the location for PCB/MAME. For both world and Japan versions it's the three bytes starting at 0x40887B, and for Darius Gaiden Extra (which is different for some reason) it's 0x40B4F5. Here are some MAME cheats to watch the rank:

Darius Gaiden:
Code:
<cheat desc="Watch Game Rank">
  <script state="run">
    <output line="1" format="Rank: %x">
      <argument>maincpu.pb@(40887B)</argument>
    </output>
    <output line="2" format="Counter: %x">
      <argument>maincpu.pw@(40887C)</argument>
    </output>
  </script>
</cheat>

<cheat desc="Set Rank">
  <parameter min="0x00" max="0xF8" step="0x08"/>
  <script state="change">
    <action>maincpu.pb@(40887B)=(param)</action>
  </script>
</cheat>

Darius Gaiden Extra:
Code:
<cheat desc="Watch Game Rank">
  <script state="run">
    <output line="1" format="Rank: %x">
      <argument>maincpu.pb@(40B4F5)</argument>
    </output>
    <output line="2" format="Counter: %x">
      <argument>maincpu.pw@(40B4F6)</argument>
    </output>
  </script>
</cheat>

<cheat desc="Set Rank">
  <parameter min="0x00" max="0xF8" step="0x08"/>
  <script state="change">
    <action>maincpu.pb@(40B4F5)=(param)</action>
  </script>
</cheat>

I'll add cheats to set the rank when I come back to this tomorrow. I'll also try to verify the findings on that page since I haven't yet confirmed anything except that the value at the specified memory location increases by 21 every frame in stage 1, which is consistent with what the page says.

EDIT: Updated the cheats to include ones for setting the rank. Also, I found out that what I read before wasn't a mistranslation as I thought it was - the game actually adds to rank each time you press the shot button, not each time you shoot. Holding the shot button counts as one press, even in Darius Gaiden Extra. This seems like it was intended to punish/balance autofire usage, but the difference isn't all that massive. Destroying boss parts is still a much bigger influence on rank. In order, I think the biggest contributors to rank are:
  • Destroying boss parts
  • Picking up powerups when at full power (this includes shields when you're at maximum durability but not maximum upgrade level)
  • Getting score bonuses (destroying full waves, capturing midbosses, etc... basically anything that pops up with a number when you perform the action)
  • Picking up powerups (including silver score shields, gold shields, and extend items) when not at full power (each is similar in magnitude to score bonuses but there aren't as many powerups as there are waves)
  • Survival time and pressing the shot button (not sure yet if this should be higher on the list, but there's nothing you can do about the former at least)
Dying lowers rank but only by a pitiful amount...

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile