shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:32 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:18 pm 

But art is a science, depending on how it's applied. Don't want to discuss the semantics of 'art' though - that's my one internet debate refusal.

Xyga wrote:
Yeah that was rather aggressive sorry, but because you know, it was obvious I'm not really talking about the same stuff you do (I couldn't efficiently anyway) yet you're here again for the hundreth time with the film science like it's the only thing there is to talk about, so I was like 'gah not again'. hope you get where that came from.
I sure do appreciate all the judgement and input you bring but for the layman it's a bit tiring to be relentlessly reminded of it like it's God's law.

But... This is a film thread. And you raised an interesting point I thought was worth commenting on. That's fair game innit?

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 pm 

Well I suppose since we don't share the same definition to 'art' to begin and that it's not debatable, it'll be hard to come to an understanding so...heh. Nothing to add. ^^

Except: don't mistake me I'm as conservative as a lot of people here about the importance of fundamentals which I definitely don't deny nor reject, but I'm practically the opposite of a retrograde radical or a fundamentalist, always looking at things under a number of different prisms, can't help it even if that'll tickle the cringe engine of many, and in this case I simply question the rationality of forever putting on a pedestal things of value because they were ticking a fuckton of points under the sky of a different time. Aging doesn't always go well i'm just stating the obvious but, what you may see as superficial layers I see as being part of the whole and when they come off or wear the rest of the body is affected too. There's no 'sacred' unshattering skeleton for me, and I find holding too tightly to past glories a bit toxic (kinda we're all decrepit palpatines shouting NO, NO, NO! RETRO! UNLIMITED RETRO!!), we need them - badly today I agree with you - but they're also covering the horizon if we refuse to let them go return to where they shone the brightest in time. Can we really create anything genuine and new otherwise? yes but it's fucking cramped/tough.

edit: typos fuck me

Last edited by Xyga on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:19 pm 

Skykid wrote:
But art is a science, depending on how it's applied. Don't want to discuss the semantics of 'art' though - that's my one internet debate refusal.

(Genuine, non-loaded question);
Why not? Is the concept of art not fused to practically everything we discuss?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:32 pm 

Zen wrote:
Skykid wrote:

It is, but we don't need to go through the actual definition of art and the application thereof again

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:37 pm 

Zen wrote:
Skykid wrote:

Everyone's definition of art is so infinitesimally splintered that there is no possible way for any two people to agree on what constitutes art. I know what I think art 'isnt', and I don't give a fuck if anyone agrees with me or not, so it's better not to attempt the conversation in the first place!

Someone on this forum once argued that Japanese and Korean pop idols were art. After that I refused to ever go near the subject again. Almost vomited in my sleep.

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:44 pm 

Skykid wrote:
Someone on this forum once argued that Japanese and Korean pop idols were art.

Maybe that was a typo and he meant 'rats' ? :P

:arrow:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:51 pm 

Skykid wrote:
Everyone's definition of art is so infinitesimally splintered that there is no possible way for any two people to agree on what constitutes art. I know what I think art 'isnt', and I don't give a fuck if anyone agrees with me or not, so it's better not to attempt the conversation in the first place!

Someone on this forum once argued that Japanese and Korean pop idols were art. After that I refused to ever go near the subject again. Almost vomited in my sleep.
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:37 pm
Understood. Actually, I think I remember that posting :lol: Hopefully you can be coaxed out of premature retirement. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil . . . . . " etc., etc.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5