shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:51 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 5072
Location: Canada
Shoryukev wrote:
I feel like at one point in development the game had to have used the touchpad, but they took it away so people who bought the Switch wouldn't bitch about lacking Wii-u version features.


Yeah, it's pretty obvious. All those features got cut to make it the same experience on the Switch. Which is kind of a let-down for those who stuck with the Wii U ..


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1752
Location: Portugal
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... controller
Huh, that's nice I guess.
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:10 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 1584
Location: Massachusetts
ryu wrote:
Quote:
The Switch uses friend codes in 2017.

So you can use whatever username you want withoout needing to exchange login information with other people. Where is the problem here?

You can change your display name at any time on Steam too. How is having to reference a random series of numbers every time you want to add someone to your friends list better than being able to choose your own username, like every other half decent account system in existence? Friend codes were always dumb, but they were almost excusable on the DS because that's when Nintendo was still trying to figure out what the internet was. I don't know how they can be seen as anything but an example of how far behind the times Nintendo are in 2017.
_________________
Image
Youtube | Twitch & Scores


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:52 pm 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 263
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
"bigbadboaz never owned a Nintendo 64"


:lol: I did have a 64. That was the beginning of the problem.

Lesson I'd like them to learn is that gimmicky hardware is NOT the answer and to see them go back to making quality, core videogames. This is what had them on top in the NES and SNES days. I don't understand why they can't view their own history correctly and continue to suffer under this delusion that they can't compete with the big boys. They still make better games than anyone - and it's not close.

I'm not under any delusions of my own that this will actually happen.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4943
Location: EU
Oh Nintendo could certainly make a console that crushes the competition completely.

But they're stingy chickens.
_________________
Image
Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Puyos are basically the things that you should shoot to counter nuisance puyos


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 1348
iconoclast wrote:
ryu wrote:
Quote:
The Switch uses friend codes in 2017.

So you can use whatever username you want withoout needing to exchange login information with other people. Where is the problem here?

You can change your display name at any time on Steam too. How is having to reference a random series of numbers every time you want to add someone to your friends list better than being able to choose your own username, like every other half decent account system in existence? Friend codes were always dumb, but they were almost excusable on the DS because that's when Nintendo was still trying to figure out what the internet was. I don't know how they can be seen as anything but an example of how far behind the times Nintendo are in 2017.

So you get a whole list of users if you look for someone's username and someoneelse with the same username as your friend better not be using the same avatar as him.

Honestly I prefer having to look up a short pin over that stupid noise.
_________________
blog - scores - collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:09 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1752
Location: Portugal
http://wololo.net/2017/03/05/release-dn ... h-browser/
And it begins.
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4943
Location: EU
I don't even give it until the end of the year before it's cracked and an iso/rom loader pops up.
That 'new' Nintendo machine is just too tiny/simple/halfassed/rushed.
_________________
Image
Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Puyos are basically the things that you should shoot to counter nuisance puyos


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:29 pm 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1928
soprano1 wrote:
http://wololo.net/2017/03/05/release-dnswitch-utility-hijack-nintendo-switch-browser/
And it begins.

Xyga wrote:
I don't even give it until the end of the year before it's cracked and an iso/rom loader pops up.
That 'new' Nintendo machine is just too tiny/simple/halfassed/rushed.

Uh, I really wouldn't say the fact that it has a web browser makes room for statements like that.

Did you go "And it beings" and "I don't even give it until the end of the year before it's cracked" when Sony announced the PS4 had a web browser too?

It's really not indicative of the security of the system.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4943
Location: EU
Nothing, from my part at least this time it's 100% a gut feeling. No logic.
_________________
Image
Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Puyos are basically the things that you should shoot to counter nuisance puyos


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 2374
Just living up to my namesake here:

https://youtu.be/Cb-srOfRqNc


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 5072
Location: Canada
ZellSF wrote:
soprano1 wrote:
http://wololo.net/2017/03/05/release-dnswitch-utility-hijack-nintendo-switch-browser/
And it begins.

Xyga wrote:
I don't even give it until the end of the year before it's cracked and an iso/rom loader pops up.
That 'new' Nintendo machine is just too tiny/simple/halfassed/rushed.

Uh, I really wouldn't say the fact that it has a web browser makes room for statements like that.

Did you go "And it beings" and "I don't even give it until the end of the year before it's cracked" when Sony announced the PS4 had a web browser too?

It's really not indicative of the security of the system.


The Wii U can currently be exploited by loading a specially crafted webm file from the built-in browser .. Switch's browser probably has more holes than swiss cheese.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:26 pm 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1293
So, apparently the Switch screen has a real dead pixel problem, and Nintendo is refusing to fix it:
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/ ... yre-normal

Also, their current line on the Joycon connectivity issues is that if you have it within three feet of an aquarium, any wireless device (including a cell phone), or any USB 3.0 device, it won't work. Which, in the modern world, means that there's about two places in the world it can be used.

Some folks on 4-chan found that you can improve the Joycon drastically by soldering in a short piece of scrap wire at one point, since it was literally built with no antenna at all.

What an incredible number of corners to cut (low-quality LCDs that are likely seconds/rejects, too cheap for an antenna). So much for their claims of expecting robust third party support -- obviously, they're trying to make their profit on the hardware itself, not licensing fees like a real console.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:35 pm 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1928
Obscura wrote:
So, apparently the Switch screen has a real dead pixel problem, and Nintendo is refusing to fix it:
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/ ... yre-normal

That's pretty much identical to every other company that sells devices with LCD panels. I really fail to see how anyone can make this out to be a negative about Nintendo.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4943
Location: EU
^ It's just the way they put it, like it's "normal and therefore acceptable".

No it's not normal, it's a defect period.

It's the same BS amazon began to give at some point regarding bleeding backlights: "it's a characteristic of IPS displays".

The most honest displays manufacturers say "ok shit happens, we can't replace them all but we will up to X number of dead pixels"
Not good either but better, since at least they're not taking the customer for an idiot.
_________________
Image
Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Puyos are basically the things that you should shoot to counter nuisance puyos


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2013
Posts: 159
Location: UK
Obscura wrote:
since it was literally built with no antenna at all.


There are antennas, with the left one being placed in a position that seems to be the cause of the drop outs according to the below tear down.

http://www.techinsights.com/about-techi ... -teardown/

Whilst I don't think the Switch is the best conceived product to say the least all the negativity surrounding it just seems to be people wanting to shit on Nintendo and create drama, I don't see any issues that are as egregious as the red ring of death for example.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:58 pm 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1928
Xyga wrote:
^ It's just the way they put it, like it's "normal and therefore acceptable".

Like just about every other manufacturer?
Xyga wrote:
The most honest displays manufacturers say "ok shit happens, we can't replace them all but we will up to X number of dead pixels"

That's what Nintendo are saying too, they're just not specific on how many pixel faults constitutes a problem.

A bit amateurish to not have that documentation up in time for the Switch launch? Maybe. A huge Nintendo specific problem? No.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5934
Location: MD
NoA has been saying a lot of stupid things as of late, especially when it comes from Reggie's mouth. The reasons for initially not releasing the non-XL New 3DS in the US were especially lame. Something along the lines of less choices offering more variety or something similarly nonsensical.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:12 pm 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1293
ZellSF wrote:
Obscura wrote:
So, apparently the Switch screen has a real dead pixel problem, and Nintendo is refusing to fix it:
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/ ... yre-normal

That's pretty much identical to every other company that sells devices with LCD panels. I really fail to see how anyone can make this out to be a negative about Nintendo.

Asus replaces any monitor that has a single pixel stuck to a "bright" color, more than one pixel stuck to a "dark" color near each other, or more than two dead pixels total.

Apple will replace a new iPhone with a single dead pixel (that didn't used to be their policy, but they changed it at some point).

Any reputable company will have a similar policy. Even Dell will replace a monitor with more than 5 "dark" pixels, or any two that are near each other, or if any are stuck bright. And these are higher-res screens than the Switch. Dead pixels on a 720p screen in 2017 is a joke. A high incidence of them shows that Nintendo were hunting the cheapest and lowest quality sources they could get -- almost certainly "B-stock" panels that had been rejected previously.

Quote:
I don't see any issues that are as egregious as the red ring of death for example.

It's been out for less than a week. Give it time.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4943
Location: EU
ZellSF wrote:
Like just about every other manufacturer?

No. Most manufacturers state their own policy over bright/dark/dead pixels, more or less generous.

ZellSF wrote:
That's what Nintendo are saying too

No they're saying:
""Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect."

ZellSF wrote:
they're just not specific on how many pixel faults constitutes a problem.

A bit amateurish to not have that documentation up in time for the Switch launch? Maybe. A huge Nintendo specific problem? No.

I'm not one of them stating that. But it's still no good if they say it's normal and don't state a limit.

Whatever, that doesn't seem like their biggest problem right now, the Switch has more annoying issues, no launch console is flawless but since that one has more parts than a plain home 'player', it's fated to experience way more trouble.
No doubt future batches will be of better quality, but it's inevitable that people will complain about the issues of now, the internet's snowball effect might seem too much but it's not like Nintendo don't know about that, it was up to them to be prepared, especially after the Wii U fiasco.
_________________
Image
Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Puyos are basically the things that you should shoot to counter nuisance puyos


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 9375
Location: COLONY
Image

I loves me a good console launch Image Image Image
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [BIRU471AM]
NON FICTION


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Sep 2014
Posts: 927
well despite everything the switch has had the best launch of any nintendo console ever in the eu and us, and breath of the wild is the best selling launch title for nintendo ever. got to say i'm quite surprised by this.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:44 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4943
Location: EU
I'm not, from all the hints we've had about BOTW's quality this was the most likely scenario, everyone can - could - see it is a quite high value title, plus big polished open world games are at a popular high.

When's the last time a console has had such a game on day#1 ?
Seriously, even though it's on a different technical level, would the PS4 have had TW3 or HZD at launch; nobody would have questioned how perfect this would have been for a lauch.

Nintendo certainly did a lot of suprisingly unprofessional mistakes coming from them, but having that Zelda at launch was simply perfect.
They absolutely need other strong titles before the end of the year though, and not just damn Mario.
_________________
Image
Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Puyos are basically the things that you should shoot to counter nuisance puyos


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:23 am 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1928
Obscura wrote:
A high incidence of them shows that Nintendo were hunting the cheapest and lowest quality sources they could get -- almost certainly "B-stock" panels that had been rejected previously.

High incidence? No way you have any statistics to say that for sure.
Xyga wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
That's what Nintendo are saying too

No they're saying:
""Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect."

As stated above, Dell allows up to 5 dark pixels. That is, Dell is saying that a small number of stuck or dead pixels (up to 5) are normal and not a defect.

Only thing Nintendo is doing different is not being specific about the amount. Which is amateurish, yes, worthy of outrage, no.
Immryr wrote:
well despite everything the switch has had the best launch of any nintendo console ever in the eu and us, and breath of the wild is the best selling launch title for nintendo ever. got to say i'm quite surprised by this.

Gaming is getting more and more popular. I'm not surprised the Switch sells out at launch. I will be (pleasantly) surprised if it keeps doing well.

That's always been the main concern. The Wii U did sort of well at launch too.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4943
Location: EU
ZellSF wrote:
As stated above, Dell allows up to 5 dark pixels. That is, Dell is saying that a small number of stuck or dead pixels (up to 5) are normal and not a defect.

Only thing Nintendo is doing different is not being specific about the amount. Which is amateurish, yes, worthy of outrage, no.

Still don't agree, we can go on arguing over semantics, it's just that to me and practically anyone out there who cares about meaning, Nintendo's statement is a bit abusive compared to other manufacturers. Why?
You mention Dell, well they don't say it's a characteristic of lcds and therefore normal. Dell do use the terms sub-pixel defects, and 1 to 5 normal within industry standards. That makes a not-so-subtle difference whatever you may think.
Nintendo don't state the numbers for warranty okay, they can correct that okay, but they'll also have to change their entire statement which as a whole is denying the defective nature of stuck pixels entirely, calling it normal for LCDs period.

If you know there'll be a level of shit with your products as a manufacturer you have to be very clear and precise, because what's a characteristic of customers and can be considered normal is that they demand a satisfying explanation, not providing one is a case for outrage.
_________________
Image
Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Puyos are basically the things that you should shoot to counter nuisance puyos


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 3319
I.... did not know that the game cards were dipped in a bittering agent and really do taste bad

You're educational, internet

Immryr wrote:
got to say i'm quite surprised by this.


No one should be.

A big step up from the 3DS, and seven years is a long time for demand for a new console to accumulate.


Last edited by BryanM on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:21 pm 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1928
Xyga wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
As stated above, Dell allows up to 5 dark pixels. That is, Dell is saying that a small number of stuck or dead pixels (up to 5) are normal and not a defect.

Only thing Nintendo is doing different is not being specific about the amount. Which is amateurish, yes, worthy of outrage, no.

Still don't agree, we can go on arguing over semantics, it's just that to me and practically anyone out there who cares about meaning, Nintendo's statement is a bit abusive compared to other manufacturers. Why?
You mention Dell, well they don't say it's a characteristic of lcds and therefore normal. Dell do use the terms sub-pixel defects, and 1 to 5 normal within industry standards. That makes a not-so-subtle difference whatever you may think.
Nintendo don't state the numbers for warranty okay, they can correct that okay, but they'll also have to change their entire statement which as a whole is denying the defective nature of stuck pixels entirely, calling it normal for LCDs period.

If you know there'll be a level of shit with your products as a manufacturer you have to be very clear and precise, because what's a characteristic of customers and can be considered normal is that they demand a satisfying explanation, not providing one is a case for outrage.

I'm happy to argue semantics, but I really don't see what you have a problem with.

Is your issue that Nintendo isn't calling defective pixels defect, even if they'll obviously accept that a panel with a lot of defect pixels is a defect panel? Who do you think cares what the pixels are called, who do you think is judging the pixels outside of the context of the entire panel? In the context of the entire panel, Nintendo's statement is similar to other manufacturers (Dell says a panel with defect pixels is normal as you quoted yourself).

Is your issue that Nintendo aren't explicitly saying panels can be defect because of pixel faults? They very clearly state that, even if it's implicitly.

Is Nintendo's statement abusive (or even dishonest)? No. Is it staggeringly incompetent from a company Nintendo's size? Yes. Would there be a huge outrage if this was a statement was from a company that weren't involved in console fanboy wars? I really don't think so. At the end of the day, if you're not satisfied with your Switch you'll just return it where you bought it anyway.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4943
Location: EU
Listen, I'm just talking from experience because from the years I've worked in that line of business managing lines of products such as displays, it was an important part of my job to make sure that sort of thing was clear for everyone involved, us as retailers, our distribution channels, our aftersales, the manufacturer's, the suppliers when involved, etc.
I'm just telling you Nintendo's statement right now is not satisfying in two ways, it's banging the door at the customer's face being borderline dishonest indeed (because dead/stuck pixels ARE a defect) and taking him/her for an idiot by stating it's normal closing all discussion, when it should in place admit the defective nature of dead/stuck pixels and immediately proceed to explain what and to what extent is acceptable within the law/warranty limits.

This is why I took the amazon bleeding backlight statement as an example earlier; it's a similar level of abuse because it is a one-sided position over a false statement, there's a difference between saying "it's normal deal with it" and "it happens and we can refund/replace under the following conditions".
That's all I'm saying.

I'm not trying to hurt Nintendo in any way here, quite the opposite I wish they'll make a smart and honest move on that matter soon.
Rather what's your problem with that ? You're raising a shield up in defense of Nintendo too fast regarding this matter.
They really are at fault, and it's not much work to devise a new page/paragraph honestly.

EDIT: again from my experience in this area I can assure you that arguing over semantics, the terms an language used in a contract and the communication of it to the customer is fucking vital. First because this can create dangerous cases where one party will lose a lot of money, second because reputation matters A LOT.
_________________
Image
Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Puyos are basically the things that you should shoot to counter nuisance puyos


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 3319
The 3DS can be replaced/repaired 1 year from purchase directly from the mother ship with as few as 1 defective pixels.

Yeah it's dumb they haven't laid that down on their website for the Switch. It's still a lot of hype and sensationalism that will lead to nothing. (Well, it does make a lot of money from ad revenue working up those who are easily triggered.)

Nintendo's as anti-consumer as corporations come, but this isn't a hill they'll die on.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking forward to "NX"?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:12 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 4943
Location: EU
This is entirely my point, had they written something more acceptable the internets wouldn't make a fuss about it.
Typically detailed troubleshooting/warranty texts with clear formulation and honest lines are largely in favor of manufacturers and retailers, because most customers are lazy and will find psychologically too troublesome to follow the full process to get a refund or replacement.

What's more laughable is that they could get something completely out of their arses regarding the JoyCon issue (fecking aquariums dude!), and it somehow calmed the mob (well, part of it)
So it's not that difficult, they have enough launch problems already they could clear that one up in a few hours, if only they knew the usual stuff of the trade that is. Lol.
_________________
Image
Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Puyos are basically the things that you should shoot to counter nuisance puyos


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group