shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:52 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166  Next

Do you think they're REALLY going to repeal Obamacare now that they can?
Yes, they're honorable men who would never lie, they said they were gonna, so it's going to happen 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
No, the insurance companies would disapprove of that 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Maybe, I just don't know anymore 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 16
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:10 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 307
EmperorIng wrote:
I can think of a few reasons why this lack of capital and affluence exist, and none of them have to do with genetics.
And you would no doubt be right. But to explain it all as a lack of nurture, with no bearing on nature? I think not.
EmperorIng wrote:
It is also funny that you blind yourself with your line of thought to the point that you can't see sarcasm, nor can you see how BryanM underlines the contradictions in "black people are naturally better at these sports." I remember in a documentary it was pointed out that in the 1920s and 1930s people thought Jews were genetically predisposed to basketball, because all of the basketball stars were Jewish.
BryanM's comment did not read that way to my eyes but perhaps you are correct and I am "blind".
Am I correct in reading this as, you do not accept that certain races are "better" at certain sports? That will be news to athletes concerned about higher natural testosterone levels exhibited by black competitors. How about chess? No pattern there either, huh?
EmperorIng wrote:
On an unrelated note:
Indeed.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 2375
Okay, Zen. I'll pretend for a moment that you're honestly curious about the power dynamics between Europeans and cultures in other continents and not just pulling a Sam Harris passive-aggressive "What? I'm not saying the thing that I'm heavily implying, I'm just asking questions! Can't I just ask a question?"

The best place to start is to read Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond, which is written for general audiences and gives an overview of the geological conditions and indigenous plant and animal life that accelerated development of agriculture in Eurasia as compared to Africa and the Americas.

Come back once you're done and let me know what you think!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7505
Location: Alaska
EmperorIng wrote:
On an unrelated note: Why does it seem like "I'm a race realist!" is the new way of saying "I'm a racial supremacist!"

There is nothing supremacist about acknowledging racial differences.

Mischief Maker wrote:
Come back once you're done and let me know what you think!

Image

Keep digging.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 307
Mischief Maker wrote:
Okay, Zen. I'll pretend for a moment that you're honestly curious about the power dynamics between Europeans and cultures in other continents and not just pulling a Sam Harris passive-aggressive "What? I'm not saying the thing that I'm heavily implying, I'm just asking questions! Can't I just ask a question?"

The best place to start is to read Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond, which is written for general audiences and gives an overview of the geological conditions and indigenous plant and animal life that accelerated development of agriculture in Eurasia as compared to Africa and the Americas.

Come back once you're done and let me know what you think!


I'm sorry that you feel I am disingenuous in debate, my man. I can not give you anything in my defence except to say that I am being as honest as the circumstances will allow.
Many of your posts come across to me as very bias, so I guess that it all might be just a matter of perception.

You are not the first person to recommend Diamond to me. I will be up front and say I suspect that book recommendation is perhaps a fairly "loaded" one.
I gave one of his books a read years ago, cant remember which but I admit I did not finish it because of either what I perceived as his bias or maybe it was my own.

Re. Guns, Germs, and Steel; Geological factors that determine food production/variety/storage. Benefits of access to animals suitable for domestication, also including strengthened immune response from exposure to same. Geographical access to diverse groups with their unique information and perspectives.
Resulting in an a group far more advanced in warfare technology, technical know-how and immune resistance to the germs they brought with them to less advanced (because they did not have all of these advantages) peoples.
Seems like a lot of research to just end up screeching "privilege!"(sorry, couldn't resist :wink: )

Basically geological determinism versus agency? Again, in less verbose terms, we are right back to, "who the fuck knows?". I certainly don't and neither do you. Nor does Jared diamond (very interesting ideas though, so I might just give that one a read).

The thing is, Mischief Maker, I was never debating any of that chicken and the egg tail chase.
My points have been directed towards addressing the differences between races and indeed cultures, in the here and now and how relativism has run amok. In that regard I don't foresee us seeing eye to eye on that any time soon.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:07 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 2776
Location: Chicago, IL
Zen wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:
I can think of a few reasons why this lack of capital and affluence exist, and none of them have to do with genetics.
And you would no doubt be right. But to explain it all as a lack of nurture, with no bearing on nature? I think not.


You are vastly over-stating the role that genetics plays in peoples' success. Blacks steadily improved their livelihood for decades, despite suffering from racism and institutional discrimination. Yet it's only in the last 50 years or less, that statistically speaking, you see dramatic dissolution of black livelihood across the country, from the family to participation in the workforce and level of incarceration. In the grand scale of things, 50 years is not a long time. By focusing on such a small sample, you seem to want to paint a picture where this is largely determined by biology. What has happened in the last 50 years to bring about that change? Did Africans in the country suddenly devolve into drooling savages? In fact, they did not. But something else happened, and it has to do with policy, and how easy it is for people to work and make a living.

It sounds like you are trying to be coy and say "it's in their nature to be inferior [at these limited things, I swear!]", which sounds a lot like what a certain class of people used to say in the 1800s. And now, apparently.

Zen wrote:
Am I correct in reading this as, you do not accept that certain races are "better" at certain sports? That will be news to athletes concerned about higher natural testosterone levels exhibited by black competitors. How about chess? No pattern there either, huh?

I am saying that you ignoring a lot of cultural preconditioning in order to fit together a worldview that makes different groups of people permanently sealed off from one another, hard-coded in biology. Next you'll tell me how bad race-mixing is because you are diluting superior chess-playing genes. Note I brought up how people used to think that Jewish ethnicity made you a superior athlete as well. With pseudo-scientific studies explaining the differences, to boot.

Rob wrote:
There is nothing supremacist about acknowledging racial differences.


There is a difference (see above) when you take those differences to consign people as social, political, or economic inferiors and say "well there's nothing we can do." It's Social Darwinism all over again, and I thought people had rejected that stupid pseudo-science when some authoritarian governments decided to push that theory to its logical conclusion.
_________________
Image
Devil Engine ~ Music and Sound Design || EC2151 ~ My FM music & more! || 1CC List || PCE-CD: The Search for Quality


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 2375
Rob wrote:
Image

Keep digging.


Wow. You're a Sam Harris fan and the Google algorithm figured you would want articles critical of GG&S, especially right after he gave a softball interview to the author of "The Bell Curve."

Well I'm game. I entered "badhistory guns germs and steel" into google and here are the damning criticisms that came up in the AskHistorians reddit:

Quote:
There's a reason it's used so frequently in undergraduate history courses- It's an entertaining introductory text that forces people to look at world history from a different vantage point. That being said, Diamond writes a rather oversimplified narrative that seemingly ignores the human element of history, instead portraying advancement as out of our control. I think most historians would agree that the issue isn't so black and white.


I agree completely. This is precisely why I suggested it to Zen as a starting point.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7505
Location: Alaska
Quote:
Google algorithm figured you would want articles critical of GG&S,

It's a popular book with a lot of critics. A lot of people ask about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskAnthropolog ... pological/
Quote:
This comes up so often I'm beginning to think we should add a "Why anthropologists (& historians and poli-scientists) think Jared Diamond is full of it" on the sidebar.

Even AutoModerator on r/history has something to say.

https://www.reddit.com/r/history/commen ... y/d5v79tw/

I have no reason to want any book on history discredited - it sounded really interesting when I first encountered it. But in my view there is no point in reading a book on history filled with inaccuracies. I can understand why people who firmly believe in a victim-oppressor worldview would want to take a bullet for it, though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 13142
Location: Chicago
Proof (as if anyone needed it) that Trump was full of shit about colluding with Russia has been uncovered and you guys are in here fighting about who is better at basketball... :?
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 307
EmperorIng wrote:
You are vastly over-stating the role that genetics plays in peoples' success.
I think not.
EmperorIng wrote:
It sounds like you are trying to be coy and say "it's in their nature to be inferior [at these limited things, I swear!]", which sounds a lot like what a certain class of people used to say in the 1800s. And now, apparently.
If this is how you read what I am saying, its a sad state of affairs indeed. If you keep looking for monsters, EmperorIng, maybe one day you will find a real one. What kind of validation will that bring you, do you think?
EmperorIng wrote:
I am saying that you ignoring a lot of cultural preconditioning in order to fit together a worldview that makes different groups of people permanently sealed off from one another, hard-coded in biology. Next you'll tell me how bad race-mixing is because you are diluting superior chess-playing genes. Note I brought up how people used to think that Jewish ethnicity made you a superior athlete as well. With pseudo-scientific studies explaining the differences, to boot.
It was a simple question to counter your "jewish basketball player" strawman. You read it to mean something entirely different.
EmperorIng wrote:
Next you'll tell me how bad race-mixing is
:wink:


I'm genuinely trying to be civil here. How much of a kicking do you chaps figure I should take, before we can all get down to honest discussion?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 1761
Location: Los Angeles
GaijinPunch wrote:
Proof (as if anyone needed it) that Trump was full of shit about colluding with Russia has been uncovered and you guys are in here fighting about who is better at basketball... :?

Proof? POTUS doesn't even know this Donald Trump Jr guy! He never associated with him, and he was not involved in the campaign. Fake news.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 3323
GaijinPunch wrote:
Proof (as if anyone needed it) that Trump was full of shit about colluding with Russia has been uncovered and you guys are in here fighting about who is better at basketball... :?


Could you maybe be a little more precise on what "collusion" means, exactly?

Barack Obama "colluded" to get Macron elected in France, but no one's screaming about that. Were they asking Russia to haXor ballots, assassinate people, spy on people on Trump's behalf, put their enemies in a gulag; what did they try to do exactly?


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Posts: 2833
Location: Egret 29, USA
The issue is receiving a "thing of value" from a foreign body for use in a campaign.

The letter of the law seems to be on Jr's side, but the spirit was to limit foreign campaign influence, and the information had been compiled and offered to do just that. (According to emails describing the meet)

Reading more about the legal meaning of "thing of value", it looks bad for Jr. Services are covered. And it may not matter if he actually received the "thing", or if it even exists. Just trying violates the law.

But it's one for the courts. This interpretation could be found overbroad from a free speech standpoint. But look at the intension that is clear from the emails.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:29 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 13142
Location: Chicago
BryanM wrote:
Could you maybe be a little more precise on what "collusion" means, exactly?


Sure
Of course, that is only a word thrown around b/c "broke campaign laws" doesn't have a nice a ring to it.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:07 am 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 3323
antron wrote:
Reading more about the legal meaning of "thing of value", it looks bad for Jr. Services are covered. And it may not matter if he actually received the "thing", or if it even exists. Just trying violates the law.

But it's one for the courts. This interpretation could be found overbroad from a free speech standpoint. But look at the intention that is clear from the emails.


Hm, thanks for the summary. It's hard to build up a carecat with the 18 month long red-baiting, or the fact that in the rainbows and unicorns version of success here, is Junior going to jail and nothing of impact happens anywhere else.

(Though I guess in the cocaine aneurysm scenario of success, our president Mike Pence is officially made president and has an easier time getting horrible shit passed? ...Yay?)

GaijinPunch wrote:


So you meant to say "he talked to someone." The ever-exciting world of BENGHAZI/E-mails.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:07 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7505
Location: Alaska
Zen wrote:
How much of a kicking do you chaps figure I should take, before we can all get down to honest discussion?

Thanks for taking a few boots to the rib cage while I ran away. 8)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:57 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 13142
Location: Chicago
BryanM wrote:
So you meant to say "he talked to someone." The ever-exciting world of BENGHAZI/E-mails.


A specific someone, yes.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 307
Rob wrote:
Zen wrote:
How much of a kicking do you chaps figure I should take, before we can all get down to honest discussion?

Thanks for taking a few boots to the rib cage while I ran away. 8)

My apologies, sir, if my post came across as a slight to you. This was not my intention.
Re-reading that sentence now, it was indeed a poor choice to use "I" within it and does come across a tad self-serving.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:16 pm 



Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 2305
Location: A star occupied by the Bydo Empire
Rob wrote:
Mortificator wrote:
Rob wrote:
I like our history

Rob wrote:
We raped and killed

You got me. That's exactly what I meant by "our history and culture" - the killing and raping in Vietnam.

You also could have been talking about your own state. It makes all too much sense for you to use the possessive in reference to rape, considering Alaska has the highest incidence of rape in the US by a large margin.

I'm imagining a person in that environment who thinks all's cool and the big problem is preserving it in the face of Muslims. Seems to be quite the sicko.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7505
Location: Alaska
Mortificator wrote:
It makes all too much sense for you to use the possessive in reference to rape, considering Alaska has the highest incidence of rape in the US by a large margin.

You're a pretty weird guy.

Quote:
One out of every three American Indian and Alaska Native women will be raped during her life,

You know who is raping American Indian and Alaska Native women? Other American Indians and Alaska Natives. What is happening to Native women is not "all cool", and it is odd to me that you would bring up the issue of rape while defending the importation of a mass of Muslims. One more time: Rotherham child sexual exploitation scandal.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:23 am 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 3323
* Our overlords like apartheid just fine, thank you. Bill of rights, wazzat?

* Years ago, Donna Brazile suggested that Libya should pay us in exchange for us bombing them. "We'll bomb them, and make them pay for it!"

The democrats are having a slogan problem. A few viable ones come to mind:

For the many, not the few
Every man a king
Make America great again

Nah those would never work.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7505
Location: Alaska
BryanM wrote:
For the many, not the few
Every man a king
Make America great again

Bringing Somalia to you. 8)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 11504
Location: Wherever.
Rob wrote:
Bringing Somalia to you.

That would be the Libertarians - after all, functional government is overrated.
_________________
"I guarantee you American scores will go up once Pi is 3. It will be so much easier."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Posts: 2833
Location: Egret 29, USA
My boss told me to expect the crimes of Susan Rice to be the real story during this administration. I'm about to go down the hall and fuck with him.

http://www.businessinsider.com/burr-says-questions-about-susan-rice-unmasking-created-by-devin-nunes-2017-7


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 11504
Location: Wherever.
antron wrote:
My boss told me to expect the crimes of Susan Rice to be the real story during this administration.

Oh boy, a Benghazi true believer, despite the fact that every single one of his fellow fearless GOP justice crusaders reflexively dropped the whole thing like a bag of flaming shit the second Hillary lost the election - sounds like a real force to be reckoned with. :lol:
_________________
"I guarantee you American scores will go up once Pi is 3. It will be so much easier."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 3323
Funny how they're happy to scream Benghazi without any context, but never criticize the Libyan intervention, the cause of that attack.

It's almost like... they're all on the same team and just pretending to hate each other.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:30 am 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Posts: 2833
Location: Egret 29, USA
BulletMagnet wrote:
antron wrote:
My boss told me to expect the crimes of Susan Rice to be the real story during this administration.

Oh boy, a Benghazi true believer, despite the fact that every single one of his fellow fearless GOP justice crusaders reflexively dropped the whole thing like a bag of flaming shit the second Hillary lost the election - sounds like a real force to be reckoned with. :lol:


Na, nothing here about bengazi. My boss is no dummy, surely saw the writing on the wall regarding that a long time ago. His hope was on the unmasking. I think his bigger hope is on blaming the deep state in general.

I must say he is my friend. We partied pretty hard at the grateful dead concerts a few years back. (Libertarians love their liberty I must say) Tried to talk me into voting for Trump night before the election. I was like... Juvenile onset diabetic wife. Couldn't believe he suggested high risk pools. HR, if you have found this looking for something, please consider I didn't kick his ass right there. (And he is a good boss).

It's all about the deep state narrative. Burr really poo-poo'd on that today. Get scared Trumpers.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 11504
Location: Wherever.
antron wrote:
His hope was on the unmasking. I think his bigger hope is on blaming the deep state in general.

That's still pretty damn deep into Alex Jones pig-human hybrid conspiracy territory. Though honestly I'm most surprised that you describe him as both a Libertarian and a decent person to work for, seeing as the hardcore free-market faithful rarely hide their seething contempt for anyone less rich than they are. Guess we'll take what we can get...
_________________
"I guarantee you American scores will go up once Pi is 3. It will be so much easier."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Posts: 2833
Location: Egret 29, USA
BulletMagnet wrote:
antron wrote:
His hope was on the unmasking. I think his bigger hope is on blaming the deep state in general.

That's still pretty damn deep into Alex Jones pig-human hybrid conspiracy territory.


Not anymore. It's the official white house playbook. It's Steve Bannon's reelection plan. It's Devin Nunes's corrupted existence.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7505
Location: Alaska
BulletMagnet wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bringing Somalia to you.

That would be the Libertarians - after all, functional government is overrated.

I was thinking of literal Somalia via Somalis. We need more Somali cops.

In our school district here, Somali is apparently the 7th most spoken language. :? And we get people like this who are unfamiliar with western notions like consent. So now we get to spend tax dollars housing this guy in prison for 25 years because we were in desperate need of taxi drivers who can't speak English.

As for libertarianism, it's always seemed like a loser for state/national parks alone. Can't see the freedom in being landlocked by private property.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bush: 2017 Edition
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Posts: 2833
Location: Egret 29, USA
Rob wrote:
people like this who are unfamiliar with western notions like consent.


Yet you probably voted for Trump after seeing the access Hollywood tape.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BryanM, quash and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group