shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:23 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Sep 2014
Posts: 841
Marc wrote:
I'd like to see one good justification as to why the PS2 emulatior shouldn't be rolled out and I'm surprised that you seem to be so unconcerned with their shitty business practices.


i don't expect to be able to play a nes cart on a wii u, or nintendo to give me a digital copy of a snes game i own the cart of so i don't expect to be able to play something i bought on a ps3 on ps4.

i guess maybe i would care about it more if i had bought a bunch of ps2 games on ps3, but if i want to play a ps2 game i just do it on a ps2.


on the subject of nioh, i would be talking about it, but i basically don't buy games at launch any more. i'll either wait for it to come out on a disc with all the dlc, or maybe just wait till it drops to around £20 depending on how impatient i get.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2017
Posts: 58
Definitely interested in Nioh, but considering I just got Bloodborne during the Christmas sales and haven't started DkS3's DLC, it can wait.
_________________
I dream of Radiant Silvergun PC ports.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:33 pm 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 209
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
PS4 Pro honestly seems like what the PS4 should've been at launch. But AMD's APU technology just wasn't there yet.


It still isn't there. Pro is a monster GPU tacked onto the same weak-ass CPU that wasn't competitive back in 2013. Any code more CPU-dependent than GPU is still going to struggle in Boost Mode.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with this console gen, but you have to accept the compromise decisions that needed to be made in the 2011/12-ish timeframe.

We're not going to get anything truly impressive in a console APU until AMD is ready to build them around the Zen architecture. It will be a few years, but with any luck PS5 et al. will be quite impressive.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:16 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Sep 2014
Posts: 841
is the protagonist of nioh the worlds first weeaboo?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1970
ZellSF wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:
IMO they should have gotten the memory card prices lower. Vita's 64 GB card is a bit over $100. Micro SDHC & Micro SDXC cards of like size don't cost close to that.

While they should have done that, it wouldn't help the Vita any, since they would have to recoup costs by making the Vita itself more expensive or the licensing prices for games higher.

People only see the console cost itself, not the price of console+everything you need, which is why they did it that way. The Vita was a premium console. It cost a lot. The memory cards didn't, it was just were marketing thought the consumers would object the least.


An extra $5 or so per game would be easier to take, rather than a certain amount all in one go (the above said $100). If the memcards were $30 for 64 GB but with the caveat of games costing $5-8 more due to higher licensing price, I'd be OK.
_________________
Kinect? KIN NOT.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:05 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 6642
Location: Bedford, UK
bigbadboaz wrote:
Quote:
PS4 Pro honestly seems like what the PS4 should've been at launch. But AMD's APU technology just wasn't there yet.


It still isn't there. Pro is a monster GPU tacked onto the same weak-ass CPU that wasn't competitive back in 2013. Any code more CPU-dependent than GPU is still going to struggle in Boost Mode.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with this console gen, but you have to accept the compromise decisions that needed to be made in the 2011/12-ish timeframe.

We're not going to get anything truly impressive in a console APU until AMD is ready to build them around the Zen architecture. It will be a few years, but with any luck PS5 et al. will be quite impressive.



I really fail to see where anything this generation has let me down besides loading times. Consoles are about bringing games to the masses, not comparing high end PC's to consoles. Even when consoles catch up to where PC's are now, PC's will be further along again. Until Sony or Microsoft use some patended hardware that PC graphics cards cannot use.
_________________
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:55 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18066
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
bigbadboaz wrote:
It still isn't there. Pro is a monster GPU tacked onto the same weak-ass CPU that wasn't competitive back in 2013. Any code more CPU-dependent than GPU is still going to struggle in Boost Mode.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with this console gen, but you have to accept the compromise decisions that needed to be made in the 2011/12-ish timeframe.

We're not going to get anything truly impressive in a console APU until AMD is ready to build them around the Zen architecture. It will be a few years, but with any luck PS5 et al. will be quite impressive.

I used to wonder if they didn't blunder bringing these consoles early to market with Zen development, but given how slow CPU advances have been this decade as a rule, it's hard not to wonder if this is planned obsolescence. Going to a newer CPU architecture would probably make selling the third Xbox One/PS4 gens much easier than if they had waited for AMD's new tech.

Immryr wrote:
is the protagonist of nioh the worlds first weeaboo?

I had the same thought. Maybe it's the same universe as James Clavell's Shogun?

@ Marc: That's just the lassiez-faire market doing us all good, naturally! I'd like to see more companies having "play anywhere" type deals like MS has introduced for the PC, except with cross-gen rights being automatic.

Somebody earlier in the thread said something about getting VR instead of BC (via emulation) - don't see it, they'd fund an emulator or guarantee cross-gen licenses if they thought it was worthwhile.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 4958
Location: Where the fish lives, WV
Immryr wrote:
is the protagonist of nioh the worlds first weeaboo?


I think so. :lol:
_________________
My Collection: http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/col ... Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:08 am 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1779
gameoverDude wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:
IMO they should have gotten the memory card prices lower. Vita's 64 GB card is a bit over $100. Micro SDHC & Micro SDXC cards of like size don't cost close to that.

While they should have done that, it wouldn't help the Vita any, since they would have to recoup costs by making the Vita itself more expensive or the licensing prices for games higher.

People only see the console cost itself, not the price of console+everything you need, which is why they did it that way. The Vita was a premium console. It cost a lot. The memory cards didn't, it was just were marketing thought the consumers would object the least.


An extra $5 or so per game would be easier to take, rather than a certain amount all in one go (the above said $100). If the memcards were $30 for 64 GB but with the caveat of games costing $5-8 more due to higher licensing price, I'd be OK.

Uh, after 10 games that's $50 and if you don't have 10 games, you do not need a 64GB card.

That really only emphasizes my point about why Sony did it the way they did. Consumers just don't think prices through.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 1683
Location: Wigan, England.
Immryr wrote:
Marc wrote:
I'd like to see one good justification as to why the PS2 emulatior shouldn't be rolled out and I'm surprised that you seem to be so unconcerned with their shitty business practices.


i don't expect to be able to play a nes cart on a wii u, or nintendo to give me a digital copy of a snes game i own the cart of so i don't expect to be able to play something i bought on a ps3 on ps4.


Completely different. We're talking games that Sony have already sold digitally, that could easily be made available on PS4 as they have an emulator and are fully capable of doing so. The games are still attached to my Sony account and the ONLY reason I can't download them to my current machine is greed, pure and simple.

In the meantime, their direct competitor is quietly patching a huge number of titles so they work on the newest box, and even working on BC with the console before that, all at no cost to the user.

For the same reason, I doubt I'll ever buy digitally from Nintendo, as I believe purchases from the Wii/WiiU and Dr don't carry over between machines? Fuck that.

For The Gamer? More like Fuck The Gamer.
_________________
XBL: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:34 pm 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1779
Marc wrote:
For the same reason, I doubt I'll ever buy digitally from Nintendo, as I believe purchases from the Wii/WiiU and Dr don't carry over between machines? Fuck that.

Wii to Wii U you could transfer ALL your digital titles.
DS to 3DS you could transfer ALL your digital titles.

Nintendo is the only company to ever do this right. People still claim Nintendo is shit, because their account management system is shit and the same people who care about backwards compatibility tend to be the sames ones who care about ownership of their purchased games.

To care about backwards compatibility and not care about owning your purchased games in the future at the same times is just you being very very weird.

That's why most people need backwards compatibility. To play games they already own. None of the big publishers can be trusted with this.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1332
Anyone tried Shantae Half-Genie Hero? Seen glowing reviews from youtube channels I follow but I'm curious about what shmuppers think. Is it really that good?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:57 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 1683
Location: Wigan, England.
ZellSF wrote:
Marc wrote:
For the same reason, I doubt I'll ever buy digitally from Nintendo, as I believe purchases from the Wii/WiiU and Dr don't carry over between machines? Fuck that.

Wii to Wii U you could transfer ALL your digital titles.
DS to 3DS you could transfer ALL your digital titles.

Nintendo is the only company to ever do this right. People still claim Nintendo is shit, because their account management system is shit and the same people who care about backwards compatibility tend to be the sames ones who care about ownership of their purchased games.

To care about backwards compatibility and not care about owning your purchased games in the future at the same times is just you being very very weird.



That's why most people need backwards compatibility. To play games they already own. None of the big publishers can be trusted with this.


What 8 meant is that, if I buy a SNES game on DS that also happens to be on WiiU, I was under the impression that they were two entirely separate purchases, unlike the PS4/Vita cross buy. If I'm mistaken, then I'll probably take the plunge at some point.

And of course I care about retaining ownership of my games, I'm simply making the point that once you head down 5h3 digital path there's no guarantee of anything. I'm sure that by the time the 360 servers are switched off though, the machine will be thoroughly hacked and able to run anything stored on without validation. How long purchased stuff will be available for download in the event of hardware failure however is another thing we just don't know.
_________________
XBL: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 11418
Location: Wherever.
FinalBaton wrote:
Anyone tried Shantae Half-Genie Hero? Seen glowing reviews from youtube channels I follow but I'm curious about what shmuppers think. Is it really that good?

It's the same basic idea as the other games in the series: it's not very challenging and a little rough around the edges play-wise, but looks very nice (and runs well on my laptop), has a good amount of charm to it and IMO is overall a fun if breezy game. I backed the thing on KS and don't regret it (especially since I'll also get the extra stuff they've yet to add in), though if you're looking for the next all-time great platformer I wouldn't set my expectations too high.
_________________
"We’re a very powerful company — country. We’re a very strong, very strong country."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:24 pm 



Joined: 22 May 2012
Posts: 1075
Location: Ontario, Canada
FinalBaton wrote:
Anyone tried Shantae Half-Genie Hero? Seen glowing reviews from youtube channels ...

BulletMagnet wrote:
if you're looking for the next all-time great platformer I wouldn't set my expectations too high.

I'm lukewarm on platformers but the reviews (and the Shantae fuss at LRG) convinced me to try 1/2 Genie Hero - I really don't know what the fuss is all about. Maybe a significant number of fans are mesmerized by the animated belly-swaying protagonist (or maybe I just need to spend a little more time with it).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:03 am 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 209
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
None of the big publishers can be trusted with this.


I actually think at this point, buying into the Xbox ecosystem is a safe bet. Not because MS has ever changed ethically as a company, but because getting dominated this gen has forced them to scramble in ways they never would have considered before.

You can bet 360 BC came about ONLY because they needed some huge trump card to even stay relevant through the PS4's lifecycle. Now that it's been successful, Spencer has been clear about maintaining it through Scorpio. They have the initiative underway for cross-play between Windows 10 and XO and it's very clear that the ultimate vision is for a unified MS platform where you buy your game once and can play it anywhere their OS runs.

This is going to be their big selling point moving forward and I can't see any way they could possibly walk it back - this would be suicide, particularly as long as Sony maintains a gargantuan lead.

I actually think there's more chance they fold Xbox itself, if they don't recapture enough marketshare in the next generation, than of them stepping back from backwards compatibility.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 1683
Location: Wigan, England.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with every word of the above. And if they can get some exclusives under their belt, it's starting to look really attractive.
Sony meanwhile, seem hell bent on making the same mistakes as they did during the latter PS2/early PS3 era - simply doing as they wish because they imagine their lead is unassailable. Looks it now, but it also did back then.
_________________
XBL: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:07 pm 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1779
That's the confusing thing, when I think of backwards compatibility I think long term, so saying companies change year to year is exactly why I think it's a bad idea to feel safe with any of them.

That Microsoft is maintaining backwards compatibility through Scorpio (an entire year) and that their long term plan is a unified store (because all long term Microsoft plans work out) or that they can't remove features when Sony has a lead (because that could never change) are not things that inspire confidence in me that the digital titles I buy on their platforms today will be playable on their future platforms.
Marc wrote:
What 8 meant is that, if I buy a SNES game on DS that also happens to be on WiiU, I was under the impression that they were two entirely separate purchases, unlike the PS4/Vita cross buy. If I'm mistaken, then I'll probably take the plunge at some point.

They are separate purchases, but that has nothing to do with backwards compatibility. That's just an ownership issue.

That's a huge reason why I would feel really unsafe buying Microsoft digital titles: they indicated at the E3 reveal where they want to go.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:14 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 4958
Location: Where the fish lives, WV
FinalBaton wrote:
Anyone tried Shantae Half-Genie Hero? Seen glowing reviews from youtube channels I follow but I'm curious about what shmuppers think. Is it really that good?


I have it. It's good. Not as good as Pirate's Curse.

It's REALLY pretty, but it's a bit short, and is too easy. Nice game, in general. But it's step below Pirate's Curse.
_________________
My Collection: http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/col ... Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2014
Posts: 987
After 2-3 years of being out of the console gaming loop I did about a weeks worth of research and decided on getting a PS4. Nice system! I got the slim. In a consoles lifespan I only end of with around 10 games or so so I'm not worried about storage too much.

How's Bloodborne? I picked that up but haven't played it yet. I struggled through the original Demon's Souls on the PS3. Is this harder or on par?

I also got some PSN games and for the last few days have been playing those. Axiom Verge is AWESOME. I made a Japanese account to get Garegga.

How are the Hori real arcade pro Kai sticks?

I also got Stardew Valley I plan to start soon


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2017
Posts: 58
Bloodborne is incredible. You'll likely find it harder than Demon's; the combat is significantly faster and more intense than the Souls series and there's no option for shield/tank play. If you don't have the DLC, get that too.

The one knock many people have against the game is its framerate issues.
_________________
I dream of Radiant Silvergun PC ports.


Last edited by reckon luck on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 4859
Bloodborne is a desert-island-tier game for me.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 1726
Location: Los Angeles
Strikers1945guy wrote:
How's Bloodborne? I picked that up but haven't played it yet. I struggled through the original Demon's Souls on the PS3. Is this harder or on par?

I would say Bloodborne is overall slightly more difficult than Demon's Souls, but a hell of a lot less of that difficulty is "accidental" or rooted in mechanical imprecision. Bloodborne is refined, deliberate, and precise, and Miyazaki confidently took advantage of that.
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2017
Posts: 58
Speaking of Bloodborne: complete edition on sale for $17.49. That's a huge bargain.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/ ... ORNECOMPLE
_________________
I dream of Radiant Silvergun PC ports.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:27 pm 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1779
I don't get Gravity Rush Remastered US prices. There's so many copies on eBay for inflated prices, are there really that many US only collectors to sell to? Most sane people can just pick up a Asian or EU release.

Trailers for physical releases of Axiom Verge and Velocity2X:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efuNU1SdpdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RqSy3THJy4

I can't speak for Velocity2X, but Axiom Verge is a fantastic Metroidvania. I think I'll only get the Vita physical version though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 pm 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 209
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Velocity has a phenomenal reputation as well.

I find this thing about releasing physical copies of games ~two years after they've been out incredibly frustrating. I get that they may need to stick with a limited run in today's market. But do it upon release so your customers can get the game alongside everybody else.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:22 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 5024
Location: Canada
I feel like a blind old man trying to play Bloodborne. Everything's brown, dark and gray and the chromatic abberation and low FPS makes it hard to focus. PC port plz.

Also Nano Assault Neo X is pretty fun.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:16 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 11418
Location: Wherever.
I've never played any of the Killzone games, but Horizon: Zero Dawn has me curious, and reviews have been kind to it...anyone planning on trying that one? I'm personally tempted to wait for a price drop since it's not the sort of game I'm usually into, but I'm wondering if this might be a decent opportunity to possibly expand my horizons a bit...assuming I can tear myself away from Yakuza 0 at some point, anyway.
_________________
"We’re a very powerful company — country. We’re a very strong, very strong country."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:53 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 1312
Udderdude wrote:
I feel like a blind old man trying to play Bloodborne. Everything's brown, dark and gray and the chromatic abberation and low FPS makes it hard to focus. PC port plz.

I have that porblem in both Bloodborne and Dark Souls III. I think it's also because there's lots of detail getting blurred to oblivion during motion.
_________________
Image
My scores - My collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The PS4 thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:24 pm 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 209
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Horizon sounds - and LOOKS - great, but I am pretty sure its gameplay won't impress as much after Zelda's. And I damn sure have to play Zelda first. So like you, I'll be waiting to grab it at the right time. I actually need to re-buy a PS4 console myself. I have a feeling there will be a Horizon bundle by the end of the year, so I may end up with the game that way once Black Friday rolls around.

Have you played Witcher 3 yet? Could be a cheap alternative for you. Seems like the easiest comparison, and probably the nextmost-impressive open world.


Last edited by bigbadboaz on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group