shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:41 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1756
Location: Portugal
https://paradisewalk.bandcamp.com/album/rogue-ep
Short but very good.
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:44 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 9379
Location: COLONY
FinalBaton wrote:
Obscura wrote:
He got a concussion in the pit during Voivod's set

*inserts headbanging emoticon*

haha that's a great story

I also love Voïvod's weird spacey prog-thrash stuff :)
They have a knack for taking a left turn and going where people weren't expecting them to go! which is awesome in my book


Decided to keep a bit of momentum going instead of scarpering back to old favourites like I usually do. Image

Celtic Frost - Monotheist Fuck me old boots, this is nice n' doomy. Relentlessly, bone-jarringly heavy doom - judiciously accented by bleak electronics, loaded with monstrous chanting hooks, venomously spat with sandblasted timbre. Tom's voice aged superbly - got an almost Leonard Cohen vibe from sparely beautiful interlude duet Obscured, and although the album is as low on HEYYYs as it is thrash, his UGHs are as impeccably-timed as ever (I like the truly tormented, stepped-on-a-lego "UUUH!" that kicks off Domain of Decay Image ).

Recommended for fellow doom-loving nubs. Image
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [BIRU471AM]
NON FICTION


Last edited by BIL on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:58 am 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1295
If you like Monotheist, check out Godflesh -- Streetcleaner.

Also, check out the first album by Triptykon -- it was the band that Tom Warrior formed after Celtic Frost broke up (again), and their first album, "Eparistera Daimones" was written when Celtic Frost were still together as the follow-up to Monotheist.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 9379
Location: COLONY
Both Triptykon LPs are tonight's listening for sure - will definitely try "Eparistera Daimones" first. Had no idea which was the more favoured one, but then I've little idea about any of this stuff, haha. Thanks for the Godflesh recommendation too!

After getting up to speed with "Morbid Tales" (good stuff), I was wondering about "Into The Pandemonium" - seems to have a mixed but not entirely offputting reputation. Are you familiar with it, out of curiosity?

I don't think I've seen a metal record as universally and brutally hated as "Cold Lake," lol. Haven't heard it, wasn't really planning to, but I love reading the reviews and comments from Tom himself. :lol: Tom seems like an interesting character... enjoyed catching up on the travails of Frost over the years. I always like getting the story whenever diehard metal bands end up going glam.
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [BIRU471AM]
NON FICTION


Last edited by BIL on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:31 am 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1295
Into the Pandemonium was actually the first Celtic Frost album I ever had! It's very mixed. Sorrows of the Moon is different, but cool (it's debatable whether Warrior had the right voice for it, but it's close enough); Inner Sanctum, Babylon Fell, and Caress Into Oblivion could have come right off of the previous releases; The Inevitable Factor is good if it's on your version (the alternate vocals version is better); everything else is pretty much total crap. Mesmerized was infamous for being the "room killer" on the Monotheist tour -- an entire crowd of people moshing and headbanging brought to an instant nap by that song.

Cold Lake is garbage, but it isn't Celtic Frost's lowest point. I don't think Warrior could have made something worse than this shit had he tried.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, ready for your two minutes hate?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1756
Location: Portugal
https://nightstalker86.bandcamp.com/alb ... n-dystopia
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:02 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1756
Location: Portugal
https://facexhugger.bandcamp.com/album/ ... replicants
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 9379
Location: COLONY
Obscura wrote:
EDIT: On an unrelated note, ready for your two minutes hate?


I'm not into the whole metal sectarian bloodbath (love to watch though ;3 ) - but calling Painkiller rock n' roll sounds virginally clueless. On the sliding scale between rock n' roll carnality and metal's cathartic violence, that one's balls-deep to the latter. Even fucking Death's cover doesn't quite reach its intensity.

Also fuck me, Into The Crypt Of Rays is addictive. Liking the almost punk/metal crossover intensity of Morbid Tales - decided to move onto the Digipak reissue incorporating Emperor's Return and Hellhammer's Apocalyptic Raids. I was interested to see Tom cites Discharge as a crucial early influence - the EP screams Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing in bursts (Nocturnal Fear could've come straight from it). Jackhammer tempo, machinegun riffs and primally keening leads, angular lyrics not sang so much as abrasively declaimed. Blood simple and aggressive as fuck, but machine-tight. A much more dynamic listen than the nonstop barrage of Hear Nothing on the whole - lots of doomy heft, and the calculatedly abrupt gearshifts I like from my thrash/death-leaning metal.

Likewise, can really hear Venom's influence on Apocalyptic Raids (total Cronos shattered glass gargle on "MESSIAAAH"). Sadly way too late here to give it the blasting required for proper evaluation. I try to be considerate with my sexy swingin' devil worship music. ¦3
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [BIRU471AM]
NON FICTION


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:45 am 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1295
For a change of pace, and actually posting what I'm listening to, I've currently got Fallen Christ - Abduction Ritual blasting at ridiculous volumes.

It's just one of those albums I can never be away from for long. My standard "long drives" album -- I can put it on repeat for a 5 hour drive, and it'll fuel me wonderfully, never getting old the whole way. The ultimate blast of complete death metal ferocity!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:51 am 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 667
Location: Germany
Death - Symbolic
Only into the first 4 songs at the moment, but fuck is this album awesome.

Image
_________________
My PCB Collection (13): Cyvern, Akuu Gallet, Fire Shark, Truxton 2, Dogyuun, Vimana, V-V, Outzone, Phelios, R-Type Leo, DoDonPachi, Dragon Breed, Daisenpuu


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 am 



Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 599
Location: stuck at the continue prompt
Ennio Morricome - 4 mosche di velluto grigio o.s.t.

A nice repertoire of brief, tense music, plus an interesting "song" and a strange credits track. Now I definitely want to watch the film.
Some use of synthesizers, quite unusual for Morricone.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1307
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Joe Hisaishi Meets Kitano Films
Always a good composer, but he did some mighty fine work for Kitano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEr0Cz2-zBo
_________________
Image
http://cfmlabel.com
https://soundcloud.com/deepwarmth


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:08 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1849
Location: Québec City
gbaplayer wrote:
Death - Symbolic
Only into the first 4 songs at the moment, but fuck is this album awesome.

Image

What an amazing band eh? you can pick any album in theur discog and you'll be blown away. Now THAT is something else.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:12 am 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1295
Nah, "Scream Bloody Gore" was the only good thing they did.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:55 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1849
Location: Québec City
I disagree vehemently :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1756
Location: Portugal
https://lazerdiscs.bandcamp.com/album/bionic-chrysalis
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1756
Location: Portugal
https://kiezbeats.bandcamp.com/album/sy ... 0s-revival
Compilation album
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:21 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1756
Location: Portugal
https://danielherskedal.bandcamp.com/album/the-roc
Delicious tuba jazz.
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 1761
Location: Los Angeles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuQG6_evFc8


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1307
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
http://eternell.net/album/children-of-infinity
Really pretty Ambient.
_________________
Image
http://cfmlabel.com
https://soundcloud.com/deepwarmth


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:59 pm 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1295
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNJacSjRAd0&t=514s

Gotta love The Mentors.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1756
Location: Portugal
https://starfounder.bandcamp.com/album/prophecy
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Sep 2014
Posts: 928
cold lake is honestly pretty good haha. cherry orchards is a great song :D it's worth watching the video to see tom g warrior trying to act like a sexy cock rock guy.


Last edited by Immryr on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 9379
Location: COLONY
Blasting Eparistera Daimones right the fuck now, coincidentally. Helll yeah motherfucker. As Obscura said it's pretty much Monotheist mkII, but that's what I wants. Fuckin black primal doom sludge with bellowing hooks. I like the added bursts of pummeling speed too, adds contrast to the doomier bits. "Goetia" is a helluva opener. Eleven minutes, was it fuck - goes by like a Kenyan with a missile up his ass.

UGH (<-- technical bonus! perfect timing as usual Mr. Warrior)

SATAN
FATHER
SAVIOUR

LAWWWD
HAVE MER-SEH UPON MEEEH


Image

I love Tom's blasted, almost Lemmy-esque rasp on these more recent records. Horeh sheeit at "A Thousand Lies," he sounds great.

Immryr wrote:
cold lake is honestly pretty good haha. cherry orchards is a great song :D it's worth watching the video to see tom g warrior trying to act like a sexy cock rock guy.


That's what I'm a bit afraid of, it'll be like watching Danzig getting knocked the fuck out all over again. Humorous but damaging. :lol:
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [BIRU471AM]
NON FICTION


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1849
Location: Québec City
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

I keep getting blown away by these dudes. Nobody can meld doom/sludge and trash like they can. At the forges of Hell they work...

They still haven't been surpassed on this front, yet the album was released 33 years ago. enough said...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8iosc_zeO8&index=26&list=PLhSDqGLdMFikhdASjFwE8wmFsPgJTbSfG


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 1849
Location: Québec City
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

Great old school black metal with a dose of swedish death metal for moar epicness. Those melodic passages work surprisingly well. These guys hail from sweden themselves.

Excellent stuff
[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOGFXD7 ... G&index=22[/url]


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:57 am 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1295
FinalBaton wrote:
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

I keep getting blown away by these dudes. Nobody can meld doom/sludge and trash like they can. At the forges of Hell they work...

They still haven't been surpassed on this front, yet the album was released 33 years ago. enough said...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8iosc_zeO8&index=26&list=PLhSDqGLdMFikhdASjFwE8wmFsPgJTbSfG

I dunno if no one has surpassed them; I can think of a few candidates.

Obituary -- Cause of Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsjVD8dZCQ

Cianide -- Gods of Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMY5yYlv-tA

Winter -- Eternal Frost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UZCCA ... uf8kii12-V

Divine Eve -- As the Angels Weep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkVZgfytTP0


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 1756
Location: Portugal
KOJI WADA DIGIMON MEMORIAL BEST-sketch1-
Sigh, so sad that he's gone. :(
_________________
If you're gonna say 'plz' because it's shorter than please, then I'm gonna say "no" because it's shorter than yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Sep 2014
Posts: 928
or there is the most doom grind band ever diSEMBOWELMENT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gRJ-fHDjI

the way the drummer from this band plays blast beats is insane. rather than alternating his hands / feet he just plays everything at once. sounds really brutal and insistant.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 9379
Location: COLONY
Fuckin Goetia, MAH DICK! Great lyrics, glorious unhinged chorus.

Under a frozen sun
Under a burning moon
All shall be revealed
Under the morning star


LAWWWD, HAVE MERCY UPON MEEE

Really digging this album after a few days with it on my mp3 player, aka EMERGENCY ASSHOLE MUTING DEVICE FOR COMMUTE. Not as good as blasting it at floor-shaking volume once safely home ofc.
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [BIRU471AM]
NON FICTION


Top
 Online Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BIL, Immryr, SuperDeadite and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group